Society/Culture The Abortion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know males who vehemently objected to the termination of their unborn child.

The sheer effrontery that you would claim that as being consent. That's pretty ******* rapey if you ask me.

It's a messy situation, but until such a time as 'artificial wombs' become a medical fact allowing foetual development to continue from even the earliest point independent of a mother then the law as far as this goes is going to favour the person CARRYING the foetus rather than the one who supplied the sperm.

I'm pro-choice but even I admit this is horribly unfair on fathers. There are several ethical problems associated with tubed, parentless humans being mass-produced in the future (think of the military applications) but as far as the abortion debate goes the sooner the artificial womb is a reality the sooner this whole mess can become more equitable.

I know males who vehemently objected to the termination of their unborn child.

The sheer effrontery that you would claim that as being consent. That's pretty ******* rapey if you ask me.
Then don't have sex.

I suppose African Americans consented to their slavery all those years. And the Indigenous consented to handing their lands over to European settlers.

I mean, if you can't stop it from happening through might, legal or otherwise, then you must be consenting right?

Talking about legality is a false equivalence. It similar to GOP hiding behind constitutions regarding the ability to incite a mob for insurrection at the protection of free speech.

And I don't think the worst thing is the actual act, it's others acting like some kind of religious deity when life actually begins. That kind of apathy is the kind of apathy you have when you require religious/cultish double-think to justify your cause.

Far left radicals will complain about the death penalty and guns but are happy to kill babies 👶 🔪 because it is inconvenient for a woman's ability to wear heels 👠 for a few months.

Notice that Chief said he chose not to comment on my foetal development post because he said "it was emotive". The post I wrote was all facts, what emotion you take from it is just self projection.

So much discussion on women’s medical decisions. How sweet.
Did you just assume the gender of all pregnant people??!

Seriously though, I know you won't agree, but I find the 'It's a women's issue to discuss only!' argument to be absurdly child-like and very frustrating. To me, it's obviously an ethical issue that any and all should be able to contribute to. Just like every issue.

I suppose African Americans consented to their slavery all those years. And the Indigenous consented to handing their lands over to European settlers
Stone cold example of false equivalence.

Did you just assume the gender of all pregnant people??!

Seriously though, I know you won't agree, but I find the 'It's a women's issue to discuss only!' argument to be absurdly child-like and very frustrating. To me, it's obviously an ethical issue that any and all should be able to contribute to. Just like every issue.

no, I think any person can discuss the issue. Was just highlighting how women and women’s health/medical were not even considered.

... it’s a medical issue. If ones ethics don’t align then a) don’t have an abortion b) don’t impregnate someone who may consider having an abortion if they need to.

no, I think any person can discuss the issue. Was just highlighting how women and women’s health/medical were not even considered.
Fair enough. The discussion almost always centres on the baby rather than the mother. It's less than ideal.

... it’s a medical issue. If ones ethics don’t align then a) don’t have an abortion b) don’t impregnate someone who may consider having an abortion if they need to.
To reframe it as purely a medical issue is just a way of hand waving any dissenting opinion away. All medical issues have an ethical element, and abortion is certainly no exception.

So much discussion on women’s medical decisions. How sweet.

A significant percentage of mothers suffer PND after giving birth. We should terminate the child as soon as we see this, and the sooner the better, if we are to be consistent with women's medical issues.

A significant percentage of mothers suffer PND after giving birth. We should terminate the child as soon as we see this, and the sooner the better, if we are to be consistent with women's medical issues.

this is the dumbest and most ridiculous comment ever made on this topic.
You should delete it from embarrassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a messy situation, but until such a time as 'artificial wombs' become a medical fact allowing foetual development to continue from even the earliest point independent of a mother then the law as far as this goes is going to favour the person CARRYING the foetus rather than the one who supplied the sperm.

I'm pro-choice but even I admit this is horribly unfair on fathers. There are several ethical problems associated with tubed, parentless humans being mass-produced in the future (think of the military applications) but as far as the abortion debate goes the sooner the artificial womb is a reality the sooner this whole mess can become more equitable.

Thanks for the link.

It's refreshing to see someone with a position in this debate who can at least concede the extreme inequity of the present legal perspective.

I wonder the extent to which an artificial womb would impact the situation. When you look at adoption laws in the US, it's quite easy for a mother to adopt a child out without the father's consent. And should he get wind and try to stop it, there's a number of hoops still to jump through.

Stone cold example of false equivalence.

Nope. It's not abortion and slavery being compared here. It's the act of falsely claiming consent where there was none. That could be done in a range of dissimilar circumstances. If you're okay with something being forced upon someone against their will, at least acknowledge their objection. To feign consent where is is none is just out and out rapey.

If you're looking for a greater equivalency of events where this subterfuge could be applied, perhaps the stolen generation is more similar. "You knew there was a chance the government would take your kids, if you didn't wanna lose them you shouldn't have had sex ... thus you've given your consent".

Of course, this is just rubbish. No means no. Pretending otherwise is deplorable.

Then don't have sex.

Applies to both mother and father.

This is not an intelligent argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back