Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Wow, it turns out anyone can just get an abortion for any reason in Victoria. Even after 6 months you only need two doctors to agree.
It's not just for "any reason". There needs to be legitimate concerns for the health of the mother physically, psychologically and socially.

Also doctors can face criminal charges upon review of the case for an abortion after 24 weeks.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
That's entirely situational. I'd say most late term abortions happen because of issues developing after the 24 week mark.
This doesn't answer the question about whether 'there needs to be legitimate concerns for the health of the mother physically, psychologically and socially' relates to the period up to 6 months or after.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
This doesn't answer the question about whether 'there needs to be legitimate concerns for the health of the mother physically, psychologically and socially' relates to the period up to 6 months or after.

Abortions over 6 months are rare because they can be dangerous to the mother's health....Not only that, the baby can usually survive given the technology we now have available, rendering an abortion absurd, given a C-section can do the job of delivering the baby alive & well thereafter anyways.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Well considering how complicated pregnancy is there's no simple answer. There could be issues before the 6th month mark that cause a late term abortion or they could develop late stage.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Well considering how complicated pregnancy is there's no simple answer. There could be issues before the 6th month mark that cause a late term abortion or they could develop late stage.

Obviously they can occur at any stage, my question is whether the exemption of the mothers health issues relates to the first 6 months or after. The law is divided into up to 24 weeks, and post 24 weeks.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
The question is whether there would need to be issues.
There of course needs to be issues. No doctor is going to risk their own career over a late stage abortion. I honestly have no idea what you're asking.

Anyway as Procrastinator35 said babies being born at 24 weeks can survive, think there's a 37% mortality rate associated with birth at that stage and a high chance of some form of disability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There of course needs to be issues. No doctor is going to risk their own career over a late stage abortion. I honestly have no idea what you're asking.

I'm discussing pre-24 week abortions, so not necessarily late stage. Do there need to be those kinds of issues before the 24 week period?

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Your original post doesn't read that way.

An abortion for any reason up to 6 months seems too loose IMO. I hear politicians say things like 'no woman takes the decision lightly' but i always thought that was just talk, and that there were regulations in place.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
This is where using the survivability of a baby as an argument about the ethics of abortion becomes murky. What if abortion is wanted by the mother/parents and medical technology means that the baby could be delivered safely and highly likely to survive? This will happen earlier and earlier as tech improves over time. At some point we will be able to foster a comparatively tiny pre-born baby to health. What happens then to the ethics of when an abortion is ok? As discussed, what happens now when it's approaching the third trimester?

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
This is where using the survivability of a baby as an argument about the ethics of abortion becomes murky. What if abortion is wanted by the mother/parents and medical technology means that the baby could be delivered safely and highly likely to survive? This will happen earlier and earlier as tech improves over time. At some point we will be able to foster a comparatively tiny pre-born baby to health. What happens then to the ethics of when an abortion is ok? As discussed, what happens now when it's approaching the third trimester?
Hard questions to answer. There would be a massive cost associated with raising those particularly premature babies. Then you'd need to find suitable parents as well.

Personally I'd keep the laws in Victoria as they are even when these technological changes occur.

Longjohnmire

Senior List
Dec 31, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This is an issue I’ve gone 180 degrees on. I can’t get past the question I heard Steven crowder ask (on his I’m pro life, change my mind videos) in When is it okay to end a life?
I once had an opinion that within the first trimester it is okay to abort under the right circumstances but after listening to many varied opinions on the topic that’s the question I can’t answer. Therefore I don’t think it is ok at any stage to abort. I’m just yet to be convinced any other thing matters more than the value of a human life. DNA is a life and from the moment of conception the the cells have their own individual DNA independent of their parents. It is a life however small it may be.

Back