The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team 19 = Tasmania
Team 20 = Canberra
Team 21 = Perth
Team 22 = South Adelaide
Team 23 = Newcastle
Team 24 = Sunshine Coast or Brisbane 2
Team 25 = Auckland/New Zealand
Team 26 = Darwin (but under certain circumstances to beat the heat, perhaps a merged NT/North QLD team)
Nice list. Sunshine Coast preferable to Brisbane imo just cause of the novelty and growth potential.

Tasmania Devils
Canberra Griffins
Perth Quokkas
South Adelaide Panthers
Newcastle Knights
Sunshine Coast Sharks
Auckland/NZ ??? (Pirates cause they’re trying to steal our Aussie rules thunder?)
Northern (merged) Crocodiles

Last edited:
Auckland/NZ ??? (Pirates cause they’re trying to steal our Aussie rules thunder?)
Haha they can try! I think Port Adelaide almost called themselves that when they were bidding for AFL entry back in the 90s.

I'm on your side even then before the 80's Canberra was a footy state before the rugby took over and they still are a strong footy state, SA and WA do not need a 3rd team, Canberra First then NT Darwin team and Newcastle/Hunter valley after that maybe but still try to expand to NZ and islands or even china
On a map, Canberra looks isolated from the footy states, but you've got to remember it's mostly footy territory through much of south NSW.

Canberra is also an anomaly because of how many southerners have moved to the city over the decades. Before the NEAFL, the Swans reserves had to join AFL Canberra because we had the strongest league north of the Murray.

An AFL team would likely be bigger than the NRL team. I think there's a chance we'd even get bigger crowds than Tasmania.
I'm confidant they would have bog crowds since they don't really have a proper league or team and I don't think they really wan tgws they need to focus on western sydney

I'm on your side even then before the 80's Canberra was a footy state before the rugby took over and they still are a strong footy state, SA and WA do not need a 3rd team, Canberra First then NT Darwin team and Newcastle/Hunter valley after that maybe but still try to expand to NZ and islands or even china

I'm confidant they would have bog crowds since they don't really have a proper league or team and I don't think they really wan tgws they need to focus on western sydney
WA3 and SA3 before trying to expand to different countries.

19. Tasmania Devils 2027 (7 Hobart/4 Launceston)
20. Canberra Griffins 2032 (9 Canberra, 1 Albury, 1 Wagga Wagga)
21. Northern Australia Crocodiles 2050 (7 Darwin/4 Cairns)
22. New Zealand Pirates 2055 (8 Auckland/3 Wellington)
23. Newcastle Vikings 2070
24. Sunshine Coast Sharks 2075

24 teams, 23 rounds, everyone plays each other once, top 12 finals series (I suggest 2 lots of McIntyre six).

As cool as WA3/SA3 could be, I think they'll just expand in new territory instead.

19. Tasmania Devils 2027 (7 Hobart/4 Launceston)
20. Canberra Griffins 2032 (9 Canberra, 1 Albury, 1 Wagga Wagga)
21. Northern Australia Crocodiles 2050 (7 Darwin/4 Cairns)
22. New Zealand Pirates 2055 (8 Auckland/3 Wellington)
23. Newcastle Vikings 2070
24. Sunshine Coast Sharks 2075

24 teams, 23 rounds, everyone plays each other once, top 12 finals series (I suggest 2 lots of McIntyre six).

As cool as WA3/SA3 could be, I think they'll just expand in new territory instead.

19. Hobart Hornets
20. Canberra Cobras
21. Darwin Dingoes
22. Auckland Autos
23. Newcastle Newks
24. Redcliffe Reds

You reckon they'll have 1 team in NSW and 1 team in NT? lol.
As much as it pains me to say it, you're right. I could see 3 teams in QLD and NSW before NT even gets looked at. Really pisses me off because us Territorians deserve something good in a state where there is nothing to do except get drunk or high.

I get it though, its business.

As much as it pains me to say it, you're right. I could see 3 teams in QLD and NSW before NT even gets looked at. Really pisses me off because us Territorians deserve something good in a state where there is nothing to do except get drunk or high.

Business with a large dose of football politics mixed in.

Having Government on side who see the social & economic benefits is vital.

The AFL often seem more intent on looking after some poor suburban teams who have done little to warrant inclusion in a national competition, so keep knocking & kicking at the AFL's door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be many years before the AFL have teams in QLD and NSW

19. Tasmania (8 games Hobart, 3 games Launceston, Hawks 4 games Launceston, Kangaroos 3 games Bendigo)
20. Canberra (8 games Canberra, 3 games Albury, GWS 3 games Wollongong)

21. Hunter (8 games Newcastle, 3 games Gosford)
22. SEQ (8 games Brisbane, 3 games Sunshine Coast)

Then you have a team based in the 13 largest cities in Australia.

And regular games in 18 of the largest 21 cities (excluding Toowoomba, Cairns and Townsville). Perhaps some Melbourne teams can sell games there.

22. SEQ (8 games Brisbane, 3 games Sunshine Coast)

And regular games in 18 of the largest 21 cities (excluding Toowoomba, Cairns and Townsville). Perhaps some Melbourne teams can sell games there.

By the time Team 22 rolls around, I think the Sunshine Coast will be able to host a team without Brisbane.

Team 22 probably wouldn't enter until the 2040s, by which time the Sunshine Coast will have about 600k people (including Noosa). That'll include a lot of southern expats. The Gold Coast only had 500k people when the Suns entered.

As the closest team to NQ, Sunshine Coast then makes sense to play some games in Cairns and Townsville (and maybe Mackay).

The Sunshine Coast is projected by the QLD government to grow to a total population of about 600,000 in 2040. Brisbane itself is going to grow by over another 1million people to have a total over 3million.

It would be worth a new SEQ team trying to tap into the much larger market an hour drive away, which will grow by a larger amount than what the Sunshine Coast will have in total.

The standard of football needs to be maintained. The regions of Tasmania, Canberra/Albury, Newcastle, Sunshine Coast need to have grass roots football in place to have footballers home grown playing for those teams, and to ensure the pool of players can sustain the increase in teams.

Tasmania is clearly happening. Tasmanian Devils.
Canberra is the logical 20th side. Canberra Wolves/Capitals.

21 and 22 gets a bit harder. Do we need more teams?
Newcastle basically has zero AFL following in my experience. I would suggest it would be very hard to get going, similar to GWS.
Similar boat with Sunshine Coast.
A lot of leg work will be needed over the next two decades to make them viable options.

Newcastle Hunters
Sunshine Coast Sharks

Last edited:
The Sunshine Coast is projected by the QLD government to grow to a total population of about 600,000 in 2040. Brisbane itself is going to grow by over another 1million people to have a total over 3million.

It would be worth a new SEQ team trying to tap into the much larger market an hour drive away, which will grow by a larger amount than what the Sunshine Coast will have in total.

A more AFL-inclined city forced to be grateful for the dregs of a larger city's second team. Sounds familiar.

The AFL has a real opportunity with the Sunshine Coast. An AFL-friendly town with a fast population growth. No professional sport (except for the netball). If the AFL can get a team in before the NRL (a part-time Dolphins doesn't count), it could make the Sunshine Coast an AFL town. A part-time team (like the Giants or Dolphins) doesn't win hearts and minds.

Where would you put a second Brisbane team? The Gabba is so central that anybody in Brisbane who wants to get to an AFL game, can get to an AFL game. The Gabba's redevelopment also means the Lions still have plenty of room to grow.

If I were to put in a second Brisbane team, I'd probably put it out west. Ipswich/Springfield/Ripley Valley will have 800k by then. But I wouldn't do that before the Sunshine Coast. And it'd interfere with the Lions' current plans. Could also play a game or two at Toowoomba, which will have 200k by then. Under that, SEQ would have North (SC), South (GC), West (Ipswich/Springfield) and Central/West (Lions) covered.

A more AFL-inclined city forced to be grateful for the dregs of a larger city's second team. Sounds familiar.

The AFL has a real opportunity with the Sunshine Coast. An AFL-friendly town with a fast population growth. No professional sport (except for the netball). If the AFL can get a team in before the NRL (a part-time Dolphins doesn't count), it could make the Sunshine Coast an AFL town. A part-time team (like the Giants or Dolphins) doesn't win hearts and minds.

Where would you put a second Brisbane team? The Gabba is so central that anybody in Brisbane who wants to get to an AFL game, can get to an AFL game. The Gabba's redevelopment also means the Lions still have plenty of room to grow.

If I were to put in a second Brisbane team, I'd probably put it out west. Ipswich/Springfield/Ripley Valley will have 800k by then. But I wouldn't do that before the Sunshine Coast. And it'd interfere with the Lions' current plans. Could also play a game or two at Toowoomba, which will have 200k by then. Under that, SEQ would have North (SC), South (GC), West (Ipswich/Springfield) and Central/West (Lions) covered.
SEQ doesn't need 4 teams. That would be ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back