Autopsy The annihilations continue v suns

Remove this Banner Ad

No it doesn’t.
This is the ridiculous mentality that sees us lose by 10 goals per week.
We need to add 8 - 10 AFL standard players around the 12 we already have on the list to get to the level of Adelaide, Hawthorn even Richmond.
Sadly, I’m convinced Clarko is not the right guy either. How we address that I have no idea.
The problem is like pouring water through a seive, we can draft good players (FA/trade is basically going to be off limits for us due to our crapness) so getting 12 good players in whilst keeping the good ones we have will be impossible.

No we didn’t.

They let us win.

That last round win was a giant turd made to look like a piece of chocolate and like a bunch of *s we ate it up.
'but we need to build a winning culture'. Spare me. That win was out biggest loss of the last five years. Morons.

I have firmly come to the opinion that there is no way out of this. Unless the AFL itself takes over control of every football department decision, the club will cease to exist in its current form within 10 years. We have proven to lack the culture and ability to do it ourselves and we're going deeper into the hole. It just can't continue like this.
I have a feeling that at some stage in the next five years we will all be wishing we took the Gold Coast offer on 2007.

Clarko has completely lost the players.

You will all come to the realization eventually.

That’s as bad an AFL football side has looked in the AFL era effort wise. That GC team is terrible and we were made to look like a VFL outfit.

Sacking him won’t solve anything, as it is a complete get out of jail free card for the absolute charlatans putting in 20% of the required effort at the moment.

But it’s true.

We are completely treading water at the monent, Clarko is done and the players are done with him and we need to be done with some of these players immediately.

Club is in a no win complete apocalypse situation at the moment given Clarko’s contract length and terms and still having 4 months of the season to go.

You have to remember that Clarko holds nowhere near the same weight as he did with the Hawthorn playing group, he’s won nothing here and it’s even more amplified by the fact he spent a few months away from this group last year.

Most of these players have turned into self preservation mode awaiting the next coach and/or trade week.
Treading water? We are sinking mate.

Last edited:
As much as I loathe the way we are getting flogged week in week out, I think that might just be a bit alarmist.

We remain the club with the youngest and least experienced list in the competition, and unlike Richmond, who went down by over 90 points tonight, we have just one Premiership player in our team, in Liam Shiells, as opposed to Richmond who still have multiple Premiership players from their era of contending, which finished probably last year. We are simply sitting ducks right now, not too dissimilar to how the GC and GWS started out in the their first few years.

Football is very much a cyclical thing, we are in a huge trough, but we are not the first, nor will we be the last team to be in this position. Despite the floggings, small, and what might appear to be insignificant, steps are being taken on the road to our boys turning a long overdue corner.

Every game this young list plays together, is slowly but surely building experience. Imagine how the likes of Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel, Duursma (not there tonight), Comben (too in terms of games played is still just a baby), will be playing when they reach 40, 50, 60 games playing together.

Hard as it is to cope with, we just have to be patient. It will turn, I have no doubt.

Will it? What do you base that on? Having a young team? OK.

But my point is that this club has proven that it cannot make a correct football department decision to save themselves. They can't. Name one in the last 5 years. A non-obvious decision that had a bit of risk about it, but through a bit of creativity and canny management paid off big time. Some seemed good at the time (Stephenson for example), but in an undemanding culture where ineptitude seeps through the walls, failed spectacularly.

Like I said, the club is too far gone and too hopeless to fix itself. The AFL eventually will step in to run the joint, or they will shun us completely. Either way, we won't be the club we are now in 10 years. True, other teams have been in mammoth troughs but none got through without AFL intervention. You mention GWS and the Suns - the AFL didn't even have to step in to save them - they ran them from the get go. Sydney in the early 90s were never going to be left to wither, Fitzroy were to meet the AFL's own agenda.

Confidence that it will turn, before Tasmania come in, based on a handful of good young players ignores how poor literally every other aspect of the football club is.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that at some stage in the next five years we will all be wishing we took the Gold Coast offer on 2007.
I don't.

In a board filled with nonsense this is right up there.

Investing in the midfield before kpp has reaped zero benefits. In fact, it has been the catalyst of our failed rebuild/s imo...

After 18 months, it's fairly obvious Clarko isn't our man. We are worse on every metric. We have brought in spuds from other teams on long-term deals, and we are getting worse week to week. His last 5-6 years of coaching have been astonishingly underwhelming, and we may have a ball and chain around our necks once again with another long, expensive contract.

If we go 0-23, we will lose players and will be caught in vortex of experience out, inexperience in. Feeder club.

If we stay the course, I'm expecting us to be folded.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will it? What do you base that on? Having a young team? OK.

But my point is that this club has proven that it cannot make a correct football department decision to save themselves. They can't. Name one in the last 5 years. A non-obvious decision that had a bit of risk about it, but through a bit of creativity and canny management paid off big time. Some seemed good at the time (Stephenson for example), but in an undemanding culture where ineptitude seeps through the walls, failed spectacularly.

Like I said, the club is too far gone and too hopeless to fix itself. The AFL eventually will step in to run the joint, or they will shun us completely. Either way, we won't be the club we are now in 10 years. True, other teams have been in mammoth troughs but none got through without AFL intervention. You mention GWS and the Suns - the AFL didn't even have to step in to save them - they ran them from the get go. Sydney in the early 90s were never going to be left to wither, Fitzroy were to meet the AFL's own agenda.

Confidence that it will turn, before Tasmania come in, based on a handful of good young players ignores how poor literally every other aspect of the football club is.
Who is poor at running the club and should be let go?

AFL umpiring is a hot mess and is the biggest blight on the competition excluding our rabble of a club.
It's awful - and was particularly bad last night, although I suspect I just see less of it when not watching on TV. A player "handballed" whilst we were holding one arm behind him last night and apparently that's a legitimate handball.

As disappointing as it is, getting flogged by the Gold Coast in the territory isn’t as bad as some make it out to be. Don’t get me wrong, we are 50 shades of shite, but this Suns team will play finals. This isn’t the cellar dwelling suns of yesteryear - these guys can bloody play footy and are very acclimatised to the hot and humid conditions up North. If this was 2005 Carlton we got flogged by, different story. Speaking of - who would win in that matchup?
I like your optimism wish I could share it
Honestly, once I saw players prostrate on the ground post a slow mo’ chase down attempt, I knew everything which followed would be a s**t show. We were spent. Sapped of whatever energy reserves most players had.

Nothing like playing a game in the tropics against a side better accustomed to such conditions, particularly those drawn from their fabled NT Academy.

I’m now more concerned with how long the players take to recover, knowing we have a bloody up and about * to come next week.
The amount of sweat in their jumpers it looked like it had rained the whole game

We don't need AFL intervention or priority picks.

It's a s**t attitude that when you make your own mess you expect to be bailed out. It is the complete antithesis of competition.

F$%# that.

Dig in and fix it yourself.

We need to pump another 40 to 50 games into our young guys and get rid of the embarassingly ineffectual and incompetent senior crew.

I'd be surprised if there's been a worse cohort of senior players in the history of the game.

It's a s**t attitude that when you make your own mess you expect to be bailed out. It is the complete antithesis of competition.

F$%# that.

We need to pump another 40 to 50 games into our young guys and get rid of the embarassingly ineffectual and incompetent senior crew.

I'd be surprised if there's been a worse cohort of senior players in the history of the game.
It's not the complete antithesis of this competition though. That team that was running around against us last night had priority access to better players than us whilst finishing half a ladder higher than us.

The whole football world must of thought what a bunch of dumb * clueless jerks . Celebrating that dead rubber win & losing Harley Reid 🤦‍♂️
The reality is that we wouldn’t have had McKercher and Duursma.

McKercher is probably having more impact in defence that Sheezel last year despite not reaching the lofty disposal numbers. He will be a bonafide gun when he is strong enough to play in the middle, like peeling away, unable to be caught good. And he will run both ways because he is doing it now. He is already one of our best defensive players despite being a skinny kid.

Duursma at this stage is a possible match-winning bonus to that.

Losing that game would have meant Reid, but it would have only meant getting our end of first priority picks. The AFL were never going to allow us to have Reid and McKercher.

I cannot believe posters on here whinge about winning a game as if it is some sliding doors moment and forget the millions of decisions leading up to where we are now and the awful position we are in. It’s laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F$%# that.

The below who featured last night have been in the AFL system for 8+ years:

Corr, McDonald, Tucker, Fisher, Zurhaar, Larkey, Greenwood

Downright embarrassing and negligence of the highest order that this bracket has reached this level of ineptitude.

Downright embarrassing and negligence of the highest order that this bracket has reached this level of ineptitude.

Corr, Tucker, Fisher and Greenwood (and Stephens, Stephenson, CCJ) is what happens when this club tries to fix it themselves. We are simply too stupid to do this on our own.

Cmon mate go easy that’s ridiculous. Had we gone to the Gold Coast we would be a little piece of embroidery on the back of their shite red and yellow jumper now.

On field things are horrible I know and don’t know when it’s going to turn.

But the AFL can’t end us, it’s a very different environment in both Politics and Society that would make it an absolute PR disaster for them then it was in 1996 and 2007. The world has changed.

If we had a president and a board that could be seduced by the AFL like the 2007 almost was that would be one thing. But we don’t.

We are not folding or going anywhere.

If anyone seemed to think it was the coaches fault last night, they’ve got rocks in their head.

Disposal efficiency absolutely horrendous last night. It comes down to our drafting, which has been woeful last 5-10 years, and we’re seeing that play out.

Lot of guys won’t make it, but I saw some good things from Archer, Comben, Powell, McKercher that give me some hope.

Need to give Larkey some help but we have issues everywhere.

Larkey had 5 shots on goal? He dropped a couple of sodas.. however from your deep forward, thats acceptable.

Rawling

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I loathe the way we are getting flogged week in week out, I think that might just be a bit alarmist.

We remain the club with the youngest and least experienced list in the competition, and unlike Richmond, who went down by over 90 points tonight, we have just one Premiership player in our team, in Liam Shiells, as opposed to Richmond who still have multiple Premiership players from their era of contending, which finished probably last year. We are simply sitting ducks right now, not too dissimilar to how the GC and GWS started out in the their first few years.

Football is very much a cyclical thing, we are in a huge trough, but we are not the first, nor will we be the last team to be in this position. Despite the floggings, small, and what might appear to be insignificant, steps are being taken on the road to our boys turning a long overdue corner.

Every game this young list plays together, is slowly but surely building experience. Imagine how the likes of Wardlaw, McKercher, Sheezel, Duursma (not there tonight), Comben (too in terms of games played is still just a baby), will be playing when they reach 40, 50, 60 games playing together.

Hard as it is to cope with, we just have to be patient. It will turn, I have no doubt.
I realise there are many more factors than just list management to lay the blame, but I doubt there has been or ever will be a team that knowingly, willingly creates and plays a team of 22 players and only one is a KPF. Has it ever happened when a team has been so crap?

It is absolutely killing us. Last year our midfield was functioning and for the most part cared. But they had only one option to kick to. We sucked as a result of that. It is even worse now as our mids have checked out.

This is going on 5 years with only one target up forward. How the f*ck does this happen? How the f*ck does Clarko expect us to take any advantage of the measly opportunities when the only KPF pretty much relies on perfect delivery on the lead and hasn’t got a clue how to halve a contest if there is physical contact made?

I realise there are many more factors than just list management to lay the blame, but I doubt there has been or ever will be a team that knowingly, willingly creates and plays a team of 22 players and only one is a KPF. Has it ever happened when a team has been so crap?

It is absolutely killing us. Last year our midfield was functioning and for the most part cared. But they had only one option to kick to. We sucked as a result of that. It is even worse now as our mids have checked out.

This is going on 5 years with only one target up forward. How the f*ck does this happen? How the f*ck does Clarko expect us to take any advantage of the measly opportunities when the only KPF pretty much relies on perfect delivery on the lead and hasn’t got a clue how to halve a contest if there is physical contact made?
Pies won a flag with virtually 1 KPF but it suits their gameplan. Quick ball movement, kick to 1-1 goal side.

Atm I don’t know what our gameplan is, saw a bit of chip chip, then just reckless kicking forward, bit of slow play, kick down the right wing, then some long kicking to Larkey 1-3.

We have no talls, so we need to play similar to the pies, have to take the game on more, run to advantage, kick to 1–1’s, overlap handball.

Pies won a flag with virtually 1 KPF but it suits their gameplan. Quick ball movement, kick to 1-1 goal side.

Atm I don’t know what our gameplan is, saw a bit of chip chip, then just reckless kicking forward, bit of slow play, kick down the right wing, then some long kicking to Larkey 1-3.

We have no talls, so we need to play similar to the pies, have to take the game on more, run to advantage, kick to 1–1’s, overlap handball.
I would like to know if a team has willingly ignored KPFs as a player type for so long while being on the bottom of the ladder. Comparing Collingwood’s luxuries while they are good, contending and winning premierships to ours and noticing they only really play 1 KPF (despite always playing two tucks, two KPDs and having some of the best 30+ YO experience in the game in their midfield) is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I would like to know if a team has willingly ignored KPFs as a player type for so long while being on the bottom of the ladder. Comparing Collingwood’s luxuries while they are good, contending and winning premierships to ours and noticing they only really play 1 KPF (despite always playing two tucks, two KPDs and having some of the best 30+ YO experience in the game in their midfield) is like comparing chalk and cheese.

They are much more skilled than us, but importantly much more organised. I agree with you, we have neglected a 2nd tall forward. Hasn’t helped with Comben playing back, and CCJ not really working out. Hope Duursma works out cause we could’ve got Curtin.

How do we go about it then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back