Religion The Bible: Literal, figurative, bulldust?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are bible passages where you can test the spirit; I have and am saying that it’s true. It’s perfect and majestic.

Kill non virgin women:

"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

Bang your dead brothers wife:

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

If your kids bag you out, kill your children:

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Women should keep quiet and accept male authority at all times:

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

'Perfect and majestic' my ass.

Kill non virgin women:

"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

Bang your dead brothers wife:

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

If your kids bag you out, kill your children:

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Women should keep quiet and accept male authority at all times:

"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11

'Perfect and majestic' my ass.
Context buddy- we know you guys care allergic to the concept, but it's fact.
And good on you for having such an interest in the Great Book.

Under what context should women shut up in front of men? under what context should unbelievers go to heaven for thought crime? under what context would you bang your dead brothers wife? Under what context is it ok to own a slave? I haven't even gone to the OT that book is much worse than Islam.

Now lets see you change the subject and beat around the bush again. The fact is these are stone AGE moralities and it came from humans not from any divine being, these (and many others) are proof enough.

From your hero, Paul the troll:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

Under what context is this acceptable? name any! Well, that’s what The Goat Herders Guide to the world says.

LOL! Please.

Last edited:
Under what context should women shut up in front of men? under what context should unbelievers go to heaven for thought crime? under what context would you bang your dead brothers wife? Under what context is it ok to own a slave? I haven't even gone to the OT that book is much worse than Islam.

Now lets see you change the subject and beat around the bush again. The fact is these are stone AGE moralities and it came from humans not from any divine being, these (and many others) are proof enough.

From your hero, Paul the troll:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

Under what context is this acceptable? name any! Well, that’s what The Goat Herders Guide to the world says.

LOL! Please.
You are jealous of Paul, clearly.
The context of the time , era, and society that existed when these verses were written.
Morals and mores have evolved along with cultures .

The context of the time , era, and society that existed when these verses were written.

Total Power said:
Well, that’s what The Goat Herders Guide to the world says.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

There's a big problem if the supposed word of god pales in comparison to modern ethics. Here's a question for you. Why would you discard these verses and pick and choose the verse YOU WISH to follow? what's the benchmark and basis for your morality? This proves morality does not come from a deity. We move forward not backwards. I mean your God is ok killing ALL newborn babies in the whole country country, but people with ethics and morality are not. May you are ok with infanticide, i am not. That makes a non believer much more moral than a believer.

There's a big problem if the supposed word of god pales in comparison to modern ethics. Here's a question for you. Why would you discard these verses and pick and choose the verse YOU WISH to follow? what's the benchmark and basis for your morality? This proves morality does not come from a deity. We move forward not backwards. I mean your God is ok killing ALL newborn babies in the whole country country, but people with ethics and morality are not. May you are ok with infanticide, i am not. That makes a non believer much more moral than a believer.
You suggest we discard verses. Garbage. We accept the teachings of the Bible for the prevalent society and culture of the day. Other verses are completely relevant to you and I today. Approach the Bible with open eyes and a softer heart. Ask for insights and revelations. It works.

You suggest we discard verses. Garbage. We accept the teachings of the Bible for the prevalent society and culture of the day. Other verses are completely relevant to you and I today. Approach the Bible with open eyes and a softer heart. Ask for insights and revelations. It works.
PLEASE, stop with this crap argument. So why doesn't Buddhism which was written 500 years before the NT state these horrible things if it's "it's just the society" back then is a legit excuse???? You think rape, paedophilia, infanticide came from your "loving and kind" deity cause it was just the society back then?

You should ashamed of yourself for making such a post sticking up for terrible morality from your deity.

When your deity says "i made women for to obey men" only, it wasn't reflective of the times back then. He was explaining why he made women. It's an objective statement since apparently this little mutt created all of us

Please....just think for once. "Open your heart" you say. I say "open your brain" and think for once.

Word of god...my arse. Couldn't even write an original creation story instead of copying from elsewhere.

Last edited:
In other words they are subjective. I see no reason to accept that the Bible to be any sort of moral arbiter that I should take any notice of.

PLEASE, stop with this crap argument. So why doesn't Buddhism which was written 500 years before the NT state these horrible things if it's "it's just the society" back then is a legit excuse???? You think rape, paedophilia, infanticide came from your "loving and kind" deity cause it was just the society back then?

You should ashamed of yourself for making such a post sticking up for terrible morality from your deity.

When your deity says "i made women for to obey men" only, it wasn't reflective of the times back then. He was explaining why he made women. It's an objective statement since apparently this little mutt created all of us

Please....just think for once. "Open your heart" you say. I say "open your brain" and think for once.

Word of god...my arse. Couldn't even write an original creation story instead of copying from elsewhere.
Why bring up your alternatives- stick to the topic which is the Bible- THE WORD OF GOD.
It is Good Friday here and around the world.
Ponder on what that means. Why is it good? And what makes Easter Sunday so awesome. Good for both brain and heart.
The expression of Your anger/frustration has no filter.

In other words they are subjective. I see no reason to accept that the Bible to be any sort of moral arbiter that I should take any notice of.
But you do. You have read it cover to cover, and know it back to front, and quote it enthusiastically here on a daily basis at times and you can't fool us.

Why bring up your alternatives- stick to the topic which is the Bible- THE WORD OF GOD.
It is Good Friday here and around the world.
Ponder on what that means. Why is it good? And what makes Easter Sunday so awesome. Good for both brain and heart.
The expression of Your anger/frustration has no filter.
Yeah word of god, but "i will select the verses that apply to me today and feel good about the lovely kind and loving creator that he is".

Ok if this floats your boat, i just showed you an example it isn't the society back then. There's lot better than Christianity minus all the garbage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what's the take away that he can't figure it out through secular means?

I can show you plenty that Bible tells us that even Hitler would be ashamed of.
Still, you searchers are here discussing THE BIBLE on Good Friday. Admit it, you love it, you can't get enough of it, and you can't work it out. It is not a text book, or a history book, it is God's revelation to us of what His Power can be like, yet what he has done for mankind sinners for perpetuity through His Son Jesus Christ. You may not like the messages His Word portrays at times, but why argue with such a God. If you believe in Him- which you seem to, given your hatred of some of His words, why argue with us believers about His ways. As you know, this is HIS CREATION, and He can and does whatever is needed.

Still, you searchers are here discussing THE BIBLE on Good Friday. Admit it, you love it, you can't get enough of it, and you can't work it out. It is not a text book, or a history book, it is God's revelation to us of what His Power can be like, yet what he has done for mankind sinners for perpetuity through His Son Jesus Christ. You may not like the messages His Word portrays at times, but why argue with such a God. If you believe in Him- which you seem to, given your hatred of some of His words, why argue with us believers about His ways. As you know, this is HIS CREATION, and He can and does whatever is needed.
Ahh reverse psychology...love it when you have no answers. Please stop putting words in my mouth and answer my question. I do not care what you believe in, i am here to have a discussion about the topics i raised above and i am not a halfwit that you can brainwash into believing.

But it's clear you have no answers if you don't please don't reply with the same old evangelical crap.

Ahh reverse psychology...love it when you have no answers. Please stop putting words in my mouth and answer my question. I do not care what you believe in, i am here to have a discussion about the topics i raised above and i am not a halfwit that you can brainwash into believing.

But it's clear you have no answers if you don't please don't reply with the same old evangelical crap.
They are the answers, that is what we KNOW, HAVE EXPERIENCED, AND BELIEVE. It's what we celebrate now and everyday. it's why the Bible is THE BOOK.

But you do.

No I don't. Reading a work of literature doesn't mean I accept that it is reality.
You have read it cover to cover, and know it back to front,

I've read the Iliad, the Odyssey and the Lord of the Rings trilogy cover to cover several times as well. That doesn't mean I accept any of them as some sort of moral arbiter.
and quote it enthusiastically here on a daily basis at times

I can quote from the works mentioned above as well.
and you can't fool us.

You wish.

They are the answers, that is what we KNOW, HAVE EXPERIENCED, AND BELIEVE. It's what we celebrate now and everyday. it's why the Bible is THE BOOK.
Why do you wanna learn something from a mutt that likes to kill babies, drown everyone, support rape and slavery and hates women? there's lots good in Islam as well but that's hardly the point. He is not a moral benchmark that ANYONE needs to learn from unless you wanna take us back to the stone ages?

Why do you wanna learn something from a mutt that likes to kill babies, drown everyone, support rape and slavery and hates women? there's lots good in Islam as well but that's hardly the point. He is not a moral benchmark that ANYONE needs to learn from unless you wanna take us back to the stone ages?
You are fixated on the OT teachings, where God had to deal with recalcitrants and all sorts of sinners. Jesus' teachings are what inspires Christianity, as do Paul's messages.

Still, you searchers are here discussing THE BIBLE on Good Friday.

Is it Good Friday? Well there you go. For me it was just another day.
Admit it, you love it, you can't get enough of it, and you can't work it out.

Certainly a great work of literature (one of many), but I see no reason to accept it as God's revelation to mankind.
It is not a text book, or a history book, it is God's revelation to us of what His Power can be like,

It's the imagining of God by various authors over time.

You may not like the messages His Word portrays at times, but why argue with such a God.

Because I see little reason to accept the claims that this 'god' actually exists, much less than the Bible is this 'god;s word.
If you believe in Him- which you seem to, given your hatred of some of His words, why argue with us believers about His ways.

You make claims about this god on a public forum which cannot be substantiated
As you know, this is HIS CREATION, and He can and does whatever is needed.

That is disputable.

You are fixated on the OT teachings, where God had to deal with recalcitrants and all sorts of sinners. Jesus' teachings are what inspires Christianity, as do Paul's messages.
I have quoted plenty NT too and all been swept under the carpet cause you know "it's just society back then".

Secondly it's the SAME GOD, remember, it's the same Isiah you quote when it suits you and then it's the same ***** you guys stay away from when it doesn't suit you.

Paul haha i just quoted him above. Do you agree with him on women?

Sorry, not worthy of even this response.

What context am I missing here exactly?

"For everyone that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

Explain to me how that's not a commandment to 'surely put to death' anyone who 'curses his mother or father'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back