The bitch about your parents thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If my parents did that to me without a very good reason then I'd have made them non existent as well.
My parents started charging me board at 16 and making me buy my own food at 18.

My mum told me my step dad was putting it all away to give back to me at some point but that never happened. Thats before i started having to give my mum the odd pay day loan for her to pay bills and s**t so she didnt have to tell my step dad she didnt have the money for it that week.

My parents were proper campaigners.

My parents started charging me board at 16 and making me buy my own food at 18.

My mum told me my step dad was putting it all away to give back to me at some point but that never happened. Thats before i started having to give my mum the odd pay day loan for her to pay bills and s**t so she didnt have to tell my step dad she didnt have the money for it that week.

My parents were proper campaigners.

My parents made me pay board once I got work after high school, No issue with that as I think it made me better with money.

I know someone who's parents took half of their paycheck once they started working, I guess that's one way to get your kids to move out if you don't want them around.

My parents made me pay board once I got work after high school, No issue with that as I think it made me better with money.

I know someone who's parents took half of their paycheck once they started working, I guess that's one way to get your kids to move out if you don't want them around.
Oh mine didnt want me gone, i did way too many of the chores around the house for that. They just wanted a secondary income.

I saw this week some flogs had made news cos they went on tiktok talking about how they charged their kid board. I was like wtf? My mother was charging me 50% of my income in board from the day I turned 18. That was 20 years ago. This can't be an original concept.

Maybe there was something to it though? Myself and my older sister grew up, left Tassie, made lives, and had a modicum of success, where as my younger siblings who were raised in cotton wool and weren't subjected to any of this are both in their 30s and still living at home with their mother.

I don't speak to any of them now... I could list 1000 reasons, but there's really only one that matters, and it's that I was the one who was frozen out. I spent a decade thinking I'd made the decision before realising that they had. I was in that boat where I was being forced out as a teenager - as I say, my younger siblings are in their 30s and still haven't moved out. Breaks my heart when I think about it... what I that unloveable/unlikeable that my mother didn't want me around and froze me out, starting at 18, while my younger siblings got the complete opposite end of the stick? (There's divorce, bitterness, and co-dependence issues here as well - really, if I par it back to the "bitch about your parents" my mother is just a failure as a person and as a parent.)

Last edited:
I saw this week some flogs had made news cos they went on tiktok talking about how they charged their kid board. I was like wtf? My mother was charging me 50% of my income in board from the day I turned 18. That was 20 years ago. This can't be an original concept.

Maybe there was something to it though? Myself and my older sister grew up, left Tassie, made lives, and had a modicum of success, where as my younger siblings who were raised in cotton wool and weren't subjected to any of this are both in their 30s and still living at home with their mother.

I don't speak to any of them now... I could list 1000 reasons, but there's really only one that matters, and it's that I was the one who was frozen out. I spent a decade thinking I'd made the decision before realising that they had. I was in that boat where I was being forced out as a teenager - as I say, my younger siblings are in their 30s and still haven't moved out.
I think a pub test makes sense here.

My folks charging me $100 a week for a room at 16 (which went up each year) and making me buy my own groceries was excessive.

Charging a 22 year old with a full time job some board to help cover expenses and give them some incentive to make their own life is fair.

Anything in between those two things your mileage probably varies. I wouldnt want to charge my kid board whilst they are at uni (if they go) or completing a trade as they have precious little cash to live life and enjoy their best years at that point.

I think a pub test makes sense here.

My folks charging me $100 a week for a room at 16 (which went up each year) and making me buy my own groceries was excessive.

Charging a 22 year old with a full time job some board to help cover expenses and give them some incentive to make their own life is fair.

Anything in between those two things your mileage probably varies. I wouldnt want to charge my kid board whilst they are at uni (if they go) or completing a trade as they have precious little cash to live life and enjoy their best years at that point.

50% of my income was waaay excessive when I was also contributing to groceries, buying $150 text books, paying for transport to and from work and uni, and trying to live the life of an 18-19 year old.

I agree that there's an amount where it's acceptable - especially when I spent my teenage years in a poor, single-parent family, and my turning 18 actually cost my mother money from Centrelink. And as i said I wonder if that was one of the contributing factors in my older sister and I achieving stuff and my younger siblings achieving sweet FA.

I do like the idea, if you're a parent who can afford it, of taking "board" but eventually turning it into a car or a house deposit or something. I had one mate whose parents did that. And given this was before property prices went apeshit in Tassie, by the time he'd graduated, gotten a job, and worked full time for 6 months out of uni, his parents told him what they'd been doing with his board and he was ready to buy a place - this prick never had to rent a day in his life. (I guess being able to live at home for all of uni is another advantage that most of us don't have.)

I went the shaved head at 30. I grew my hair while the lockdown was on to see what I look like. It's not a good look.

My dad had a friend who had just a tuft of hair on top of his hair like this.

View attachment 1695247

I often wondered why he didn't just shave it off.
yeah i stopped getting haircuts during lockdown in 2020

havent started back up again still

Jesus dude, how did you turn out so ******* sensible then? You are a freak of nature.
This is one of the nicest compliments anyone has ever paid me on BF.

Honestly footy. My clubs were a home away from home, id go train 5 nights a week and play 2 games a weekend, be around mates and good role models.

I also met my now wife very young and her and her family are lovely.

This is one of the nicest compliments anyone has ever paid me on BF.

Honestly footy. My clubs were a home away from home, id go train 5 nights a week and play 2 games a weekend, be around mates and good role models.

I also met my now wife very young and her and her family are lovely.
Well Im glad it has worked out. So many will just give up getting the wrong end of the stick at such a young age, not their fault they are just kids. Good on you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back