The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet again the umpires gifting Sydney goals. When will it end? Been happening for at least 7 years now
You have to go all the way back to Round 7, 2018 since the Bulldogs last lost the free kick count by nine or more. In the period since then, however, they have managed to win the free kick count by nine or more on no fewer than 23 occasions. Richmond, on the other hand, have had to endure during the same period of just over five years, on a staggering 24 occasions. So I felt for you tonight Doggies supporters, but just imagine experiencing that another 23 times and not one of them being in your favour!

You have to go all the way back to Round 7, 2018 since the Bulldogs last lost the free kick count by nine or more.

Wrong

2023 stats
Rnd 1 - Dees 22 frees, Dogs 13 frees

Wrong

2023 stats
Rnd 1 - Dees 22 frees, Dogs 13 frees

Fair call ... my error. I recorded the opening round 'loss' as a 'win' so the Doggies ledger since they played the Suns back in 2018 and prior to last night was actually 22-1 and not 23-0. The Tigers figure of 0-24 for the same period is still correct.

What was somewhat intriguing about last nights free kicks being +9 in the Swans favour is how in the two matches between the Bulldogs and Swans last season, the Swans were -17 in Round 3 and -6 in Round 17. I am aware there are always outliers & exceptions and a multitude of factors that can influence what the free kick stats are, however, there are many who subscribe to the theory that Richmond's style of play is the reason for their sustained period of 'losing' the count.

Notwithstanding that none of those posts have managed to articulate exactly what specifically it is about our style of play that cause such a discrepancy (it must just be the vibe...) or why we also deserve fewer free kicks (unless teams are truly more disciplined just against us), but I wouldn't have thought either the Dogs or Swans game style has changed that much compared to only last season to explain a swing in the free kick differential of 26 compared with Round 3 and 15 compare with Round 17.

but I wouldn't have thought either the Dogs or Swans game style has changed that much compared to only last season to explain a swing in the free kick differential of 26 compared with Round 3 and 15 compare with Round 17.

Our game plan was built on a play on at all cost, force turnovers, force the opposition to create errors or lose possession via frees. Most teams have caught on and its now stale. It's all in the coaching

Yeah Doggies got no favours last night.

Still Ild rather get sucked off in a Grand Final.
Let's be honest this dogs/umpires bullshit all grew from that farcical grand final umpiring.

Other than that it's a load of s**t just like the bs hawthorn free kick nonsense.

Facts are interstate teams get sucked off at home cause of umpires umpiring to please the large vocal crowds. Adelaide Oval has become the worst. Used to be Perth.

That's about it.

Yeah Doggies got no favours last night.

Still Ild rather get sucked off in a Grand Final.
Let's be honest this dogs/umpires bullshit all grew from that farcical grand final umpiring.

Other than that it's a load of s**t just like the bs hawthorn free kick nonsense.

Facts are interstate teams get sucked off at home cause of umpires umpiring to please the large vocal crowds. Adelaide Oval has become the worst. Used to be Perth.

That's about it.
It’s a bit of a myth though. A couple of quite blatant mistakes have been conflated into the whole game, in which Sydney played quite badly, with the exception of Kennedy. There’s been a ball-by-ball analysis that showed umpiring errors on both sides, and none that went anywhere near affecting the outcome.

But it’s always comforting to have an excuse.

What was the excuse last year?

. There’s been a ball-by-ball analysis that showed umpiring errors on both sides, and none that went anywhere near affecting the outcome.
No there hasn't. A random twitter account did an analysis that missed multiple, blatant missed frees to the Swans that lead directly to Bulldogs shots or goals. I've already posted about it in this thread to a Dogs fan who was apparently very open to all analysis of the game then stopped replying once I posted screenshots.

No there hasn't. A random twitter account did an analysis that missed multiple, blatant missed frees to the Swans that lead directly to Bulldogs shots or goals. I've already posted about it in this thread to a Dogs fan who was apparently very open to all analysis of the game then stopped replying once I posted screenshots.
You do realise that you change ONE decision, and the whole of the rest of the game changes? Maybe for the worse...

Just tag me next time. We spoke at length about it, you provided good points, I provided points of my own, it got to a point where the discussion was reaching typical BigFooty levels of silly so I stopped the discussion.

Just tag me next time. We spoke at length about it, you provided good points, I provided points of my own, it got to a point where the discussion was reaching typical BigFooty levels of silly so I stopped the discussion.
No we didn't. You flat out denied or incorrectly described the incidents and when I provided screenshots you then said it wasn't worth your time.

You do realise that you change ONE decision, and the whole of the rest of the game changes? Maybe for the worse...
Sure, but I would have preferred to lose in circumstances where my team didn't receive a single free kick in two and a half quarters and a number of horrendous non calls gifted the opposition goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My goodness I enjoyed the Sydney win and remarkably the Free Kick count.

Coach Bevo was typically gracious in his post match presser and other comments this week including about Rampe winning his appeal.

Dogs with the rub of the green tonight again
You need to explain this a bit.

Frees were 22-20 at the end despite Richmond giving away a lot of late hits.

Every complainant throughout this thread seems to expect an even spread of frees and yet here you are with a comment when they are pretty even.

Richmond fans also claim they are the most persecuted side by umpires, but given how often they made after disposal hits they did very well in the overall tally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back