The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you seriously expect the umpires to not try and control the game? GWS were playing like it was an 80s grand final. Greene seemed to punch his way to exhaustion like George Foreman. It was a pretty insane match
?

Wtf??

Since when is it an umpire's job to 'control the game'?

The laws of the game control it.

The umpires simply apply then.

?

Wtf??

Since when is it an umpire's job to 'control the game'?

The laws of the game control it.

The umpires simply apply then.
Are you being disingenuous or really can't piece the final bit of logic together from your own post?

Edit - they control the game by applying the rules, just to clarify

Last edited:
Dogs win the free kick count again. Of course it’s because they go in harder... wait on... they lost the contested possession by 40 odd. What a crock of s**t.

28-34 free kicks is called over officiating. GWS players were just as guilty due to their physical pressures on the game, a tactic that achieved the desired result. There’s no argument that GWS were the better team today, good luck next week

Stolen from reddit, there's one for this year where the Dogs are second, but I guess my point is why has the outrage never been this big over the Eagles? Everyone takes their differential for granted like they are the only team with a home ground.

Are you being disingenuous or really can't piece the final bit of logic together from your own post?

Edit - they control the game by applying the rules, just to clarify
No. I'm deadly serious.

It's staggeringly moronic and utterly baffling that people cling on to the amareurish 30 year old concept that 'umpires control the game'.

This is the AFL. Not a local comp.

The UMPIRES ADJUDICATE THE GAME BASED ON THE LAWS OF THE GAME. Nothing more.

They cannot pluck a free kick because they feel the game is going in a direction they don't like. That is an extraordinary claim!!

No. I'm deadly serious.

It's staggeringly moronic and utterly baffling that people cling on to the amareurish 30 year old concept that 'umpires control the game'.

This is the AFL. Not a local comp.

The UMPIRES ADJUDICATE THE GAME BASED ON THE LAWS OF THE GAME. Nothing more.

They cannot pluck a free kick because they feel the game is going in a direction they don't like. That is an extraordinary claim!!
So when someone says that a driver turns the wheels, they’re not actually physically reaching under the car and turning them. They apply the steering wheel and the steering system turns the wheels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowee, what a meltfest

You'd have thought it was Adelaide vs Fitzroy standard umpiring the whole game and we won going by these melts

Bottom 10 are just upset they have to watch another sub par finals series where the game is over by 3qt.

View attachment 742171

Stolen from reddit, there's one for this year where the Dogs are second, but I guess my point is why has the outrage never been this big over the Eagles? Everyone takes their differential for granted like they are the only team with a home ground.

Um the Eagles copped it constantly...so called experts wrote articles about it and kept referring to ‘the noise of affirmation’ in Perth which influenced umpiring. Not to mention years of labelling guys like Scott Selwood, Luke Shuey and Ashton Hams ‘duckers’ and questioning whether they trained to duck better so they could get more free kicks...

This went on for years - you even can still find a few Freo nuffies on here that use it in arguments.

Bottom 10 are just upset they have to watch another sub par finals series where the game is over by 3qt.
It's the bottom 12 now.

Enjoy the finals.

This weekend has been a timely reminder why we don't need "wildcard" finals between teams who finish 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th.
Waste of time. None of them are good enough to compete with the Top 6

The crazy thing is people believing free kick counts should be even. If one team gives away 50, the other 10, then so be it.

It also makes sense that teams will play styles that give away, or result in more free kicks.

True. Dogs are very good a drawing frees. Probably coached that way and that's fine.

Look at the Tigers they are almost the opposite. I tend to think they are told to push the limits. Generally we give away quite a few and lose most free kick counts but opposition fans will still whinge. It's probably because we got away with quite a few 50/50 ones. Particularly in finals when they generally pay less frees.

GWS had about 3 out on the full free kicks in the first 10mins, pretty sure that adds to the count. Matches aren't decided on a few free kicks, stop crying and keeping umpiring standards as an excuse for when your team loses
Actually out on the full frees are not included in the tally. Otherwise, you're right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back