Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STRAIGHT SWAPS
Curnow --> Levi
Fisher --> Betts
TDK --> Pittonet
Newman --> Newnes
Martin --> Owies

POSSIBLE SWAPS
Marchbank? --> Parks
SPS/Dow? --> Stocker

NOT B22, BUT WOULD'VE PLAYED
Kemp
OMac
Murph
Philp?

Either way, we have loads of injured players. If they weren't originally best 22, they would've come in as an injury replacement.

On a side note... not really sure where Gov fits in. It's probably a battle between him and JSOS for a spot as our 3rd tall. I doubt we can have Charlie, Harry, Gov and JSOS in the same forward line. Thoughts?
Not being negative but it's hard to imagine McKay, Curnow, silvagni and McGovern all fit at the same time.
If anything we need another journeyman tall to play fifth wheel.

STRAIGHT SWAPS
Curnow --> Levi
Fisher --> Betts
TDK --> Pittonet
Newman --> Newnes
Martin --> Owies

POSSIBLE SWAPS
Marchbank? --> Parks
SPS/Dow? --> Stocker

NOT B22, BUT WOULD'VE PLAYED
Kemp
OMac
Murph
Philp?

Either way, we have loads of injured players. If they weren't originally best 22, they would've come in as an injury replacement.

On a side note... not really sure where Gov fits in. It's probably a battle between him and JSOS for a spot as our 3rd tall. I doubt we can have Charlie, Harry, Gov and JSOS in the same forward line. Thoughts?
Going into this season I honestly thought JSOS was well down the pecking order & that he would only get games due to injuries to our forwards.

So far this season, when he is not hurting himself or the victim of friendly fire, JSOS has proven to be one of the key components of our forward line, which in my mind puts him well ahead of Gov.

As we seem to have a shortage of defensive talls, I think Gov may well have to be moved to defence if he is to continue to be in our 22 in the future.

Really hope Leppitsch is at the top of our assistant coaches list
Why ? - he is a failed coach and absolute disaster actually. Easy to make up nice after the fact stories with snap hots of convenient made for narrative footage...proves nothing. Th esooner the Club stops chasing 'names' and starts investing in process and sticks to it -the better.

I think there's an element of truth to it.

You can't park the bus at 4 goals up with 40mins to play against a quality side like the Bulldogs.

The same happened against Essendon and we were somewhat lucky to get away with it in the end.

We build a lead and then, fair too early, decide that we need to go a complete 180 on our mindset and we just start chipping the ball around behind centre. It in turn allows the opposition to press up and apply pressure, we then fu** up and turn it over and they score.

Honestly, I think it's the sign opposition coaches and players are now looking for. When Carlton start trying to play defensive footy, that's when they're at their most vulnerable.

We do need to get better at that defensive game, but we probably need to do it in 3-5 minute bursts each quarter to help sustain our energy for the full game, rather than going a 3 quarter blitz and then turtling for the rest of the game.

Really interested in when you think we started playing defensively, in terms of chipping/controlling the pill.

To me it seemed like we went quicker and longer, while the Dogs dissected our man on man coverage across the ground

Why ? - he is a failed coach and absolute disaster actually. .....Th esooner the Club stops chasing 'names' and starts investing in process and sticks to it -the better.
Failure is a great teacher.
Then became a Richmond assistant coach in the premiership years - knows what it takes. I’d be happy to have him - I don’t see appointing good assistant coaches as the old Carlton messiah complex but rather just the everyday business of building a good team. I’d rather that than letting people like Barker hang around for year after year until they find another job.

Why ? - he is a failed coach and absolute disaster actually. Easy to make up nice after the fact stories with snap hots of convenient made for narrative footage...proves nothing. Th esooner the Club stops chasing 'names' and starts investing in process and sticks to it -the better.

Pretty sure we have had a process for the past 6 years and have stuck to it..
Where has that lead us?

Leppitch was a important part of Richmond's success and would be a quality assistant for us..

So failed senior coaches are a waste of time?
Sure these teams don't think so, but maybe you know better...

Carlton - Barker & Worsfold
Collingwood - Sanderson
Geelong - Knights
Hawthorn - Bolton
Melbourne - Richardson & Williams
Port - Voss
Sydney - Pyke

Failure is a great teacher.
Then became a Richmond assistant coach in the premiership years - knows what it takes. I’d be happy to have him - I don’t see appointing good assistant coaches as the old Carlton messiah complex but rather just the everyday business of building a good team. I’d rather that than letting people like Barker hang around for year after year until they find another job.

If he was interested in coaching he'd still be at Richmond and waiting for a call up from another Club - instead he is flapping his mouth off about Carlton's defensive deficiences as a media expert - maybe he has a few more failures to go through before he has learned what may be of use to a Club.

Pretty sure we have had a process for the past 6 years and have stuck to it..
Where has that lead us?

Leppitch was a important part of Richmond's success and would be a quality assistant for us..

So failed senior coaches are a waste of time?
Sure these teams don't think so, but maybe you know better...

Carlton - Barker & Worsfold
Collingwood - Sanderson
Geelong - Knights
Hawthorn - Bolton
Melbourne - Richardson & Williams
Port - Voss
Sydney - Pyke

Actually I SPECIFICALLY referenced Leppitch or whatever his name is - no need to quote any other names ..you SPECIFICALLY cited Leppitsch or whatever his name is as a must have assistant - stick to yoru argument - and if all it says - ex Richmond must be good - then say nothing more. T@

If he was interested in coaching he'd still be at Richmond and waiting for a call up from another Club - instead he is flapping his mouth off about Carlton's defensive deficiences as a media expert - maybe he has a few more failures to go through before he has learned what may be of use to a Club.

Actually I SPECIFICALLY referenced Leppitch or whatever his name is - no need to quote any other names ..you SPECIFICALLY cited Leppitsch or whatever his name is as a must have assistant - stick to yoru argument - and if all it says - ex Richmond must be good - then say nothing more. T@

Not sure what your gripe is with Leppitch, JAB?

Leppitch ran Richmonds defence for their 3 flags, think he knows what is required and it is our greatest weakness, defensive set up..
He would be my no #1 target, not cause he is a name but because he is the best.. No calling for Amos's head either

Have never heard his commentary so can't comment on that.
But his article was quite measured and supportive of us

Not sure what your gripe is with Leppitch, JAB?

Leppitch ran Richmonds defence for their 3 flags, think he knows what is required and it is our greatest weakness, defensive set up..
He would be my no #1 target, not cause he is a name but because he is the best.. No calling for Amos's head either

Have never heard his commentary so can't comment on that.
But his article was quite measured and supportive of us

Coaches are only as good or bad as their players allow them to be. Have a look at most team's game styles - apart from minor tweaks here and there they are all the same - and the major differences emerge around teams with specific strengths - but only at the margin.

Defensive deficiencies are much more about our forward fifty and midfield deficiencies than defensive coaching. We are getting absolutely smashed in inside 50 differentials and could/should be losing by many goals more if it wasnt for the defensive efforts (especially Weitering who is our best player btw) - they aerent getting much help from upfield or between the arcs defensive pressure - not enough to even have the time to set up structure even up to the centre square we have very low inside 50 tackle counts in forward 50 - this tells you where th problem starts - teams rebound really fast out of our forward 50 - noticed that?

We dont need a 'defensive coach' - we need imnprovement in midfield defensive effort and forward line defensive effort - this simple fact is obvious to anyone that watches games. How much the problem lies with unavailability of injured players and how much of this is poor coaching/game plan - we dont know.

SO if you are arguing Leppitsch is required to improve our back 6 defensive performance - you are arguing as it currently performs it needs help - I disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh? He's doing his job. He was a great assistant coach at Richmond, football knowledge isn't the only thing that makes a head coach. His failures as a coach might have nothing to do with them, are in the past and behind some great successes. No harm at all in what he's doing and it's all been pretty accurate stuff anyway.

Coaches are only as good or bad as their players allow them to be.
Have always found this line an awful disrespect to coaches worldwide who work ridiculous hours to get every last inch out of organisations, teams, tactics etc and are clearly major influences on players development, consistency, performance, mental health etc. It's intentionally naive to think otherwise.

I've seen first hand coaches take a group that finished last to a premiership and the other way round without player change. They wouldn't be paid so much if they weren't important. Coaching is exceedingly important and often can make up for a lack of talent, immensely so.

Eh? He's doing his job. He was a great assistant coach at Richmond, football knowledge isn't the only thing that makes a head coach. His failures as a coach might have nothing to do with them, are in the past and behind some great successes. No harm at all in what he's doing and it's all been pretty accurate stuff anyway.

Its accurate, but many have voiced it for some time.

Having said that, it's always easier from the outside

Have always found this line an awful disrespect to coaches worldwide who work ridiculous hours to get every last inch out of organisations, teams, tactics etc and are clearly major influences on players development, consistency, performance, mental health etc. It's intentionally naive to think otherwise.

I've seen first hand coaches take a group that finished last to a premiership and the other way round without player change. They wouldn't be paid so much if they weren't important. Coaching is exceedingly important and often can make up for a lack of talent, immensely so.

That's true, but the opposite is more common

Parkin has stated on many occasions, that the most important factors of success are in this order..

List Management
Fitness/Availability
Development
Coaching

And I am a strong advocate of this order

King and Montagna just had some good discussion about our team defence (and Melbourne's) on 360.
I'm sure it will get put up online.
Two of the biggest flogs in the media trying to come up with new terms or positions to try and keep themselves relevant. Is Montagna still going on about the “striker”?

King and Montagna just had some good discussion about our team defence (and Melbourne's) on 360.
I'm sure it will get put up online.

I was more concerned by the $$$ mentioned for Harry by Robbo - Buddy like money and length of contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back