Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah and in reality Newnes spent more time at half forward late in the year than he did on the wing.
I think most weeks when he was playing as a forward, it was because we were without an important mid-small forward.

Take the last 3 weeks of the season for example:
Rd 16 - Betts (managed)
Rd 17 - Martin (injured)
Rd 18 - Fisher (injured)

I think Newnes plays an important role in our team, but as much as it may be an unpopular opinion I don't think he is in our best 22.

I think most weeks when he was playing as a forward, it was because we were without an important mid-small forward.

Take the last 3 weeks of the season for example:
Rd 16 - Betts (managed)
Rd 17 - Martin (injured)
Rd 18 - Fisher (injured)

I think Newnes plays an important role in our team, but as much as it may be an unpopular opinion I don't think he is in our best 22.

Someone will have to push him out then. Saad replaces Simmo, and at this stage only Williams is certainty to come into best 22

Someone will have to push him out then. Saad replaces Simmo, and at this stage only Williams is certainty to come into best 22
If Newman and Marchy both return from injury, they take the spots of Willo and SPS who can now play wing/on-ball.

Right now only Newman seems fit to play, so Willo for me is one of our wingers. Possibly set up a rotation with him and SPS between defence and wing.

If Newman and Marchy both return from injury, they take the spots of Willo and SPS who can now play wing/on-ball.

Right now only Newman seems fit to play, so Willo for me is one of our wingers. Possibly set up a rotation with him and SPS between defence and wing.

Apart from spine players, Newnes was only 1 of 6 players to play every game, that also included Simmo.

Newnes isn't going to be pushed out by only 1 or 2 players being fit again

I hate the rule but I do think it will open up the game and it will probably be the most frustrating rule change yet.

Edit. Just imagine if Castagna lead you to the ball and marks just outside the 50 So you take the mark knowing he can’t score, (he would also be able to kick from a distance he could score from with no one on the mark) just to have Dusty stroll past you without you being able to do nothing to block his run and have a fairly simple shot for him on goal. Would be infuriating to watch.

Simple tweak has worked, perfect.

Will work both ways, especially with the pace we possess as a best 22 combined

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Until Buddy starts banging them through from 10 metres to the left of the guy on the mark anyway.

Buddy is like the Murali of the footy world, everyone knows and recognises he gets an advantage but he’s allowed to get away with it.
Who’s the ump that’s going to impersonate Darrel Hair and blow up his career over it?

May not be an issue as it’s clear Buddies body is just about kaput, which is sad really as he’s been one hell of a watchable footballer

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I reckon newnes was a better pick than brandon ellis. Weighing up output, salary and contract length

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Man on man will be far easier to manipulate than zones in that example.

It's going to look farcical when someone with a curved set shot routine - ala Buddy Franklin - is having a set shot and kicks the ball and the man on the mark is standing 4 metres to the side of it..

I am hoping the refs treat it like a snap shot where if the player moves to the inside of their line it’s play on. Or the player on the mark is stitched up.

Apart from spine players, Newnes was only 1 of 6 players to play every game, that also included Simmo.

Newnes isn't going to be pushed out by only 1 or 2 players being fit again

We’ll be a very mature team with ages this season (age within 2021), 16 players possibly rnd 1 lining up 25th+ year
35yo Betts
34yo Murphy
32yo Curnow
31yo Casboult
30yo Jones
28yo Docherty, Newnes, Newman
27yo Plowman, Saad, Williams, McGovern
26yo Cripps, Martin, Gibbons
25yo Pittonet (Marchbank & late b’day)

We’ll be a very mature team with ages this season (age within 2021), 16 players possibly rnd 1 lining up 25th+ year
35yo Betts
34yo Murphy
32yo Curnow
31yo Casboult
30yo Jones
28yo Docherty, Newnes, Newman
27yo Plowman, Saad, Williams, McGovern
26yo Cripps, Martin, Gibbons
25yo Pittonet (Marchbank & late b’day)

Mature is fine if the output of those players remains high/consistent and we have younger talent to replace the deteriorating output, retirements or they purely surpass the above players.

Apart from the spine, we are in a strong position list wise

Mature is fine if the output of those players remains high/consistent and we have younger talent to replace the deteriorating output, retirements or they purely surpass the above players.

fourth and fifth on that list needs to be addressed next trade period as a priority....

Certainly need to find a replacement KPD for Jones as a priority....time to go shopping.

Still surprised they didn't persevere with Macreadie given they also chopped Goddard and BSOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back