Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummers? I've always saw it the way the way Thy did. Didn't make the gay connection. Never used it, and now I never will.

Ban it anyway. It's crap.

If 'bummer' has a gay connotation to it then it must have been attached to it after it was widely used as Thy mentioned. I remember using it to mean a 'downer' since the 70s. I have never known anyone to take it in any other sense. I doubt I would stop using the term now. I don't use it in reference to Essendon though, so you won't see it from me here.

Last edited:

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If 'bummer' has a gay connotation to it then it must have been attached to it after it was widely used as Thy mentioned. I remember using it to mean a 'downer' since the 70s. I have never known anyone to take it in any other sense. I doubt I would stop using the term now. I don't use it in reference to Essendon though, so you won't see it from me here.

It’s an interesting one - early appearances seem to suggest a generational reason for differing interpretations, which is common with language. Problem is that words, like symbols and gestures etc get hijacked and meanings shift. It’s the world we live in, I guess. Glad to have some clarity anyway.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Free kick Carlton?

Screenshot_20210504-154700_Twitter.jpg

The definition of a bummer is slang for something undesirable, unpleasant or annoying, or is slang for a bad reaction to a drug, or is a lazy person who hangs around all day without a job or purpose. ... (chiefly slang) A disappointment, a pity, a shame. That's a total bummer.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Here is the good news fellas.

We're not playing great and have beaten the teams we should beat (barring the Pies) and lost to the top 3 from last year (Port, Brisbane and Tigers) plus that Collingwood s**t show.

We now have games against 1 and 2 on the ladder in the Dogs and Melbourne.

If we can snatch a win over the next 2 games, we'll be 4 and 5, and have an incredibly good run coming up after that with Hawthorn, Sydney (A), West Coast (MCG), GWS (A), Adelaide (MCG), Freo (A), Geelong (MCG), Collingwood, North, St Kilda, GCS (Marvel), Port (A) then GWS (Marvel).

Port in Adelaide will suck. St Kilda and the Hawks have the wood on us, but the rest are all very winnable (and really we should beat the Hawks as well).

We match up well against Sydney, West Coast at the MCG are not the same side they are over here in Perth, GWS are flakey (and we play them twice), Adelaide in Melbourne are well do-able, we have the wood on Freo, and play well in Perth (and smashed them once already), we match up well against Geelong, we should beat the Pies (and should have beaten them already), North are s**t, and we've have already rolled the Suns (away).

8 wins and 5 losses from that lot, and we're sitting on a 12-10 record which should get us in the 8.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
In their defence, I’d be shocked if no one has used it in that context .. If some people are interpreting it that way, chances are some people are using it that way.
It's obviously not being used in that context though.

Bummers is close to Bombers. So it indicates the club being referred to without giving them the respect of using their correct name. That's it. No deeper meaning. Stop trying to find offence.

I understand the homophobia is an issue and the LGBTQ community has copped a hell of a lot of abuse and degradation over the years, but this isn't it.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It's obviously not being used in that context though.

Bummers is close to Bombers. So it indicates the club being referred to without giving them the respect of using their correct name. That's it. No deeper meaning. Stop trying to find offence.

I understand the homophobia is an issue and the LGBTQ community has copped a hell of a lot of abuse and degradation over the years, but this isn't it.

I wasn't trying to find offence - was trying to clear up what people meant by it. That bummers is close to Bombers is missing the point - that part is obvious ...

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Have you ever heard that expression?

I certainly haven't.

When I read the original poster reference Essendon as the Bummers, the homosexual slur was the first and only thing I thought of, I didn’t know it wasn’t a commonly known reference.

I guess references change throughout the years or from place to place, I remember living in England, people using it a bit.

It seems the poster wasn’t intending the reference to be taken that way.

I've never heard the expression bummer as being used as a pejorative adjectival descriptor
but then again I have never heard the word 'bummers' used in any context - ever until I read this thread...

live long wnough and it looks liek words and eamnings change according to useage I guess

gay used to meean somethign completely different to general useage today is an example.

I have read on here the expression 'arse clown' though - and that to me has always been a derogatory homo slur comment insult hurled around decades ago - has that meaning changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back