Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thanks.

He served us well over the journey but he's not the player he once was, nowhere near it actually. His form has completely nose dived over the past 18 months.

I see no reason why we'd bring him back.

Would like to think Gibbs would be welcome back (even as a non playing capacity) at The Footy Club.

I tend to think that his form at the Crows is not necessarily reflective of his falling standards or body failing as a player, lets be honest, he was placed on a massive pedestal upon his recruitment to the AFC to be the final piece in the Crows flag puzzle, if not a Messiah type figure.

For a person whom clearly seems to be a quitely spoken introvert, its a real pity that he was quickly chewed out by an unforgiving and entitled fan base and club culture.

I have found it quite surprising that Gibbs has fallen away so quickly for Adelaide. I genuinely thought he was a prime candidate for one of those guys who can play into is 30s comfortably, given he never relied on athleticism to begin with so losing a bit wouldn't damage him too much.

It's almost as though moving to Adelaide he phoned it in a little bit, his motivation looks shot. I guess going into that environment a year on from the off-season nonsense where most guys aren't exactly happy to be around might have affected him, but I still expected better from him.

bryce last couple of years in blue were much more than solid ,crow supporters may laugh but he's tackling was awesome in later years at carlton . its strange what has happened to him over there, weird club

Their whole club is going to s**t

Last edited:
No thanks.

He served us well over the journey but he's not the player he once was, nowhere near it actually. His form has completely nose dived over the past 18 months.

I see no reason why we'd bring him back.
At the end of last year on a year for year deal, maybe, but the terms would've needed to suit us. At the end of this year, absolutely not. Nup. Nope.

I'd be interested in him playing VFL for an affiliate, but not as a Carlton listed player, and his problems with the punt had better be a) fixed or b) controlled and kept away from the rest of the playing group. I'm no saint, but such is a distraction and can fuel the need to be more mercenary as a player than you would otherwise be.

I have found it quite surprising that Gibbs has fallen away so quickly for Adelaide. I genuinely thought he was a prime candidate for one of those guys who can play into is 30s comfortably, given he never relied on athleticism to begin with so losing a bit wouldn't damage him too much.

It's almost as though moving to Adelaide he phoned it in a little bit, his motivation looks shot. I guess going into that environment a year on from the off-season nonsense where most guys aren't exactly happy to be around might have affected him, but I still expected better from him.
Absolutely. He looked as though his heart was still in Melbourne, wearing navy blue.

That, and they were nowhere near as good as they seemed, their injuries piled up, and there was absolutely nothing he could do onfield to arrest their falling or prevent them blaming him. There's also the fact that it's one thing to reminisce about home and what things were like when you were 18 and at home, completely another to return as a 30 year old who has made friends and a new home elsewhere. You could see it in a few of the interviews he gave after the trade was done; he looked like someone who didn't think it'd actually happen.

It's sad, but ultimately the only way I can see him continuing as an AFL player is to find a way to get traded to the GC, and I can't see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine the punishment if they had of done something really bad like injecting illegal performance enhancing drugs into their veins or by god the most heinous crime in the AFL lexicon, trousering some illegal cash via a brown paper bag.

:rolleyes:

I reckon what they did was tantamount to breaching the cap

Absolutely. He looked as though his heart was still in Melbourne, wearing navy blue.

That, and they were nowhere near as good as they seemed, their injuries piled up, and there was absolutely nothing he could do onfield to arrest their falling or prevent them blaming him. There's also the fact that it's one thing to reminisce about home and what things were like when you were 18 and at home, completely another to return as a 30 year old who has made friends and a new home elsewhere. You could see it in a few of the interviews he gave after the trade was done; he looked like someone who didn't think it'd actually happen.

It's sad, but ultimately the only way I can see him continuing as an AFL player is to find a way to get traded to the GC, and I can't see it happening.

They didn't do anything to try and blame anyone else really. He was constantly being dropped and moved out of position, making it seem like he is the problem. I watched the Crows play against the Lions at the Gabba and he was BoG for the Crows. 2 goals, maybe 3 I can't quite remember, 22 odd possessions and then he was dropped the next week. I was gobsmacked when I saw that because the Crows were insipid that game and he was the only guy on the field who had any spark at all for them. I don't know what else you can expect of a midfielder if 22 possessions and 2/3 goals isn't enough to keep your spot.

Their mismanagement of players and the media has been otherworldly since the Grand Final loss.

off track I know.....but who was worse for Carlton. Malthouse or Pagan ?

IMO that is a tough one

Talking of why you dislike Malthouse and including not being able to keep Fev on a leash? Fev had been gone a few years before Mick got there.

Choosing Warnock over Jacobs? Again, happened a few years before Mick arrived.

Talking of why you dislike Malthouse and including not being able to keep Fev on a leash? Fev had been gone a few years before Mick got there.

Choosing Warnock over Jacobs? Again, happened a few years before Mick arrived.
Think Mick could've done more to keep Crosswell at Carlton

bryce last couple of years in blue were much more than solid ,crow supporters may laugh but he's tackling was awesome in later years at carlton . its strange what has happened to him over there, weird club
deep space nine s**t been going on over there for years...........

Maybe he never really wanted to leave, and that's affecting him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe he never really wanted to leave, and that's affecting him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Iir it was rumored heavily at the time that it was his Mrs that really wanted the move and not him, due to having a child and wanting that extra support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back