Podcast The Cat Attack Podcast presented by K ROCK FOOTBALL

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming to you loud and clear from HOTLANTA for the next few weeks.. home of the dirty birds and Matty Ice... Benny’s NFL Wikipedia should get that one..

Will Scooter, Cuthire and HT all come in this week on the fast deck of Etihad.. and if so who goes out.

I can see Parsons, Gregson and Zuthrie and Linc out with Narkle the 4th in.

Does that make us too tall and slow vs the albeit undermanned Doggied pace. The last thing we want is them to throw caution to the wind and run and gun, get their tails up and get a sniff and us not be fast enough to counter them.. especially with 3 blokes coming in off long term injuries..

Go Catters

With the king of recruiting Stephen wells at the helm, how important is it for the recruiting dept to have an understanding of the AFL’s new rules being introduced before bringing in new players. Is it just grab best available or will the new rules being introduced see recruiters get smarter and draft to specific needs like athletic ability over natural footballing talent?

Thanks boys for discussing my post..

Ben when you say you want development ... I certainly would love to go early to the draft more often but are you saying a NO to any future FA's or trades?

Lets clarify what are we really saying when we say "development".

Is it bottoming out by playing kids , to get better kids? Thats what we did in the past .. we had multiple picks in the top 10 from 99 thru to 06 .. its easy to set your side to development when you have obviously more talented kids. But when we are constantly there abouts.. when everyone else eats first .. and when we are last to the food bowl and get the scraps.. are expecting to find and build a side from late picked kids? History say there is not a side that hasn't got a few really early picked players ..playing at the top of their game.. When was the last time we drafted a kid top 9 in the draft? 12 years ago with Joel Selwood.

I agree that topping up costs us on the flip side... it can deprive opportunity development etc. 2E comes in and Thurlow is now missing out. Trusting who you have picked is a fine thing to aspire to... but .. are you really saying just keeping playing the Rookies likes Parsons and give Hayball a go. Henry is a heck of a find. Id love to have more Parfitts , a kid drafted in the 20's..but we just do not get enough chances that early. Zac Guthrie, Parsons etc may well become a good players..or they may not. Its what we have done with the likes of Murdoch , over 100 games now ..he has been given time to develop and has basically topped out.. short of where we need him to be.

We are currently developing and blooding players at good rate... the question is.. will they be like Lang or Smedts or Walker etc.. Playing young kids is fine ..but unless they come on then you have probably wasted your time .. and sides have done that with earlier picked kids than what we have had.

So one can see the attraction of going for a Danger etc. Gaff etc. is a standard and will be far less risk of a miss. Overall we have been fairly good at finding Mids..thru trade or late clever picks.. where our biggest hole is ..and has been for a long time is KPF or ruck. Why do we have a very poor record in tall development? Again ..id say its because we are too often last to the food bowl. When was the last time we drafted a very early KPF or ruck? probably Stephen King.. and he was a comp pick for losing plays to Freo.

With KPF , we have been reliant on trade or FS for a long time. As great as our era was in 07 thru to 11 was... it was also blessed with two FatherSon Centre Half Forwards. Thats very rare. We added Ottens and Mooney We should not forget that when we reminisce about how we did it. To a certain degree the amount of stars we got from Father Son is not really repeatable and the roles that they play is luck. Look at young Oscar coming thru...he will not be a CHF like his dad. We traded in guys back then and it was not even a FA era then.

Development is something Geelong has nearly always done.. Its probably we never really hit rock bottom but , sometimes , you can starve waiting for the crops to grow and develop. Thats why there are supermarkets.

We either have to get extra early picks by trading out players..or our development will always be blended with trade ins..

Last edited:
I have 3 questions for Benny and Kingy after Chuck's funny first class, business class and economy analysis of the Geelong playing list (my new twitter handle is Inspector Rex after I encountered some PC problems on twitter).

1) Geelong have picks 12, (No picks in Round 2); 48 and 53 (Round 3), 55 & 58 (Round 4), 84 (Round 5). Here is a question for Benny (The Brett Thomas of KROCK Football). What can Geelong do to get another Round 1 draft pick and 2 round picks in Round 2 since this draft is a super draft? Fremantle have pick 6 and WCE have pick 22.

2) Brian Cook is known to send Chris Scott and his coaching staff to Harvard Business schools and to visit other sporting clubs in the USA and Europe. Well, since we have the list for the now by selling the farm, should the club consider this out of field possibility: Use its contacts in the USA to arrange for the Geelong coaching staff to meet up with Chicago Bulls legendary coach and LA Laker legendary coach Phil Jackson? He was the ZEN master of getting 5 to 7 massive egos to work together (Pippen, Jordan, Rodman, Kukoc and Longley) and at LA (Bryant and Shaq) to play as a unit. And/or arranging a meeting with Phil Jackson disciple Steve Kerr?? The art of coaching and man management is to get different individuals to work together and in synergy to win the flag. If we keep on underperforming, there must be something missing.

3)Nathan Vardy is struggling to get a game for the Eagles. Should we entertain the idea of trading Kelly for Vardy if Kelly wants to return home? We have to take into account that Scott Lycett is a free agent or a restricted free agent.

THE GOV

The Cat Attack Podcast is back for another week.

Shoot us your questions before 4pm.

The Cat Attack Podcast is back for another week.

Shoot us your questions before 4pm.
After reading the article on Tim Kelly that Jon Ralph wrote. If it is true and Tim Kelly ask to be traded back home to WA. What would you think a fair trade be for Tim Kelly ? ( but i do speak for most Geelong Fans here, i do hope he stays at Geelong and make his future with us ).

How far off is Cocky and has he played VFL yet?

Dropping the Dons and Dogs game will make it very hard from here to go deep into the Top 4. Can we make the 8 and still be competitive and what will it take for the 22 out there at any given time to get into the "this is the last game of your life" mindset needed to win these games.

And its BLOODY humid in Atlanta right now... HOTLANTA it very much is.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weeks questions...

It looks like Abbott is going to debut ... whats a pass for him? Taps in the centre , marks around the ground , goals when forward...
we have already said we will look at rucks at years end.. which put a bit curry up the ginger of Stanley ... and if Abbott had not got a chance id have thought he was fair square in the crosshairs .. without even having a chance to show if he is up to it.. so its great if he gets a go.

Ben.. I think you and I agree we need to bring in some high end talent ...THRU THE DRAFT ... rather than just more top ups.. Not everything is about our team next year. Who and what type of player would you like to see us get... Did you pay attention to the U18 champs? We will get Oscar Brownless and I guess we are a faint chance of getting Bailey Scott .. but I feel we need a long term Hawk replacement... but I suspect we will miss the chance again with the pick we will end up with at 15 ish.

CAT ATTACK PODCAST | Fire your questions in by 4pm Tuesday and Cas and Kingy will do their best to answer them.

To Cass and Kingy, The Cats have a pick in the 1st round; no 2nd round draft picks from 19 to 36; Picks 48 and 54 in the 3rd round and Picks 55 and 58 in the fourth round.

With Oscar Brownless and Bailey Scott been valued as a 1st and 2nd round draft pick, how the hell can Geelong get more picks in the 1st round and 2nd round to give them some bargaining power at the draft?

The re-signing of Cam Guthrie almost certainly gives them some power to get a pick in the 2nd round. If a club wants to get a pick in the 2nd round to be in a position to have some power to secure Oscar Brownless and Bailey Scott, the club has to give something of good value (Cam Guthrie: Sorry Cat fans).

If you are the list manager at Geelong Ben, what would you do?

And, should the Cats play hard ball and refuse to trade Tim Kelly back home? I recall Gary Buckenara wanted to return to WA back in 1987 and the Hawks won the case in the Supreme Court (https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/10/30/the-afl-and-restraint-of-trade/).

THE GOV

Gents and Benny... :)

Been sweating up a storm in Atlanta - but it seems there is a few bigger storms down KP way -
GAJ, Tim Kelly, HT forward.....

Some good, some bad. My storm of interest is Big Sav.

He's had a massive injury break and is now recovering and it seems the possibility is there for him to return before seasons end. Are they really suggesting that he can come back and compete fully and effectively without fear of any further issues from his break?

Should he be shut down and "protected" for the long term? Or is the inference that GFC are only a #2KPF away from the big dance and that getting him back solves those issues? Id suggest that he would help us clearly, but is it enough risk vs reward to push it - if indeed they are trying to get him back.

I only need to think of Matty Egan, Barry Stoneham et al. The medical staff have all the information and we dont - but if it goes pear shaped the fallout will be Chernobyl like.

Discuss.

Gents and Benny... :)

Been sweating up a storm in Atlanta - but it seems there is a few bigger storms down KP way -
GAJ, Tim Kelly, HT forward.....

Some good, some bad. My storm of interest is Big Sav.

He's had a massive injury break and is now recovering and it seems the possibility is there for him to return before seasons end. Are they really suggesting that he can come back and compete fully and effectively without fear of any further issues from his break?

Should he be shut down and "protected" for the long term? Or is the inference that GFC are only a #2KPF away from the big dance and that getting him back solves those issues? Id suggest that he would help us clearly, but is it enough risk vs reward to push it - if indeed they are trying to get him back.

I only need to think of Matty Egan, Barry Stoneham et al. The medical staff have all the information and we dont - but if it goes pear shaped the fallout will be Chernobyl like.

Discuss.

Not that you got mentioned ... at least the boys covered the topic of Sav. It sounds like Benny is more on my page than CE's.

Not that you got mentioned ... at least the boys covered the topic of Sav. It sounds like Benny is more on my page than CE's.
yeah im on the s**t list at KROCK clearly.. :p

And yeah it was a good ep - Benny on fire with some good points about HT and Murda and CS's comment on them.

Like that one a lot.

GO Catters

yeah im on the s**t list at KROCK clearly.. :p

And yeah it was a good ep - Benny on fire with some good points about HT and Murda and CS's comment on them.

Like that one a lot.

GO Catters

I think it was more that we both posted before the call for input ... not that it mattered with mine as Abbott was not selected in the end anyway..

The last couple of weeks I think I have enjoyed Cynical Benny rather than Frathouse Benny. His comments on Abbott and Taylors injury were excellent..

4pm Tuesday is record time, Cat Attack fans.

Fire your questions for Benny and Kingy to answer.

4pm Tuesday is record time, Cat Attack fans.

Fire your questions for Benny and Kingy to answer.

Just wonder if Benny's nude eye (The Brett Anderson of KROCK footy) will be sharpened on Saturday night for the all important clash. Hopefully Frank from Town and Country Pizza will be able to supply the 1st Half Menegola and Half Ratugolea pizza for you guys on Friday night (Already posted on twitter).

Under Paul Haines and Chris Fincke, our players did not suffer many soft tissue injuries (Hamstrings and Calves). Ever since Chris Dennis returned to the club as the club's strength and conditioning coach, our players have suffered an increase in hamstring and soft tissue injuries? During his 1st tour of duty at Geelong from 2003-2006 (under Loris Bertolacci), we did suffer a lot of soft tissue injuries. Is there a need to conduct a review on our fitness department or get Paul Haines back to the club (he is currently residing on the Gold Coast after his unsuccessful stint as fitness coach at the Suns)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back