The Cold

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets down to about 5c or 6c inside my house in winter.

No insulation. No heating. No carpet. You know youre alive when you wake up with frosty air breath.

Lived in a house like that for about 15 years, might as well have been made of cardboard for all the protection from the cold it gave us. It was nice in summer though, would cool down quickly once the sun went down.

TheKanga which place is colder, Launie or Hobart?

Lived in a house like that for about 15 years, might as well have been made of cardboard for all the protection from the cold it gave us. It was nice in summer though, would cool down quickly once the sun went down.

Ah, this place is a furnace in summer too. Zero insulation. But the rent is nice so I dont really want to be demanding the owner spend thousands on insulation and then decide to up the rent by $50 a week a couple of times a year (my place is identical to the one next door but theirs has newer stuff, but they pay $150 per week more than me).

Hobart has cooler daytime temps and has less sunny days on average and is windier.
(wind chill is a factor here)
Due to it's coastal location there are sea breezes as well.
However it's minimum temperatures usually stay above freezing. (Except Mt Wellington)
All time record low was -2.8 degrees.
Launcestons was -5.2 degrees.

Launceston is situated inland in a gully so temperatures regularly drop into the minuses in winter.
However it's less windy and more sunshine.

Hope that helped :)

Hobart has cooler daytime temps and has less sunny days on average and is windier.
(wind chill is a factor here)
Due to it's coastal location there are sea breezes as well.
However it's minimum temperatures usually stay above freezing. (Except Mt Wellington)
All time record low was -2.8 degrees.
Launcestons was -5.2 degrees.

Launceston is situated inland in a gully so temperatures regularly drop into the minuses in winter.
However it's less windy and more sunshine.

Hope that helped :)

Yes, it does. Was thinking along the same lines but thought I'd ask a local.

I like Tassie. The nature and scenery is similar to here in British Columbia in a lot of ways. I’d just be wary of the job situation and, to be honest, don’t like feeling separated from the mainland.

I’ve considered moving over to Vancouver Island but the same hang-ups stop me. For those that can make it work though I think it’s a great spot.

A friend of mine went to vancouver about 15 years ago on a working visa. Never returned, met a local, married kids and loves it there.

Has its issues like any city but it’s a great spot. It’s location, weather (for Canada) play a part. It’s the surrounding views and nature that are the drawcard.

I like Tassie. The nature and scenery is similar to here in British Columbia in a lot of ways. I’d just be wary of the job situation and, to be honest, don’t like feeling separated from the mainland.

I’ve considered moving over to Vancouver Island but the same hang-ups stop me. For those that can make it work though I think it’s a great spot.

It's a nice place to raise kids and it has a more laid back nature than the hustle & bustle of the big cities.
Great scenery as well.

Hobart I've noticed has become a popular destination for tourists and people moving down to escape the heat.

Jobs remain an issue & now housing has become expensive with the rising popularity of the area.

Hasn't been much temperature variation this week.

upload_2018-6-20_19-54-36.png

And this Thursday will be the winter solstice.
The shortest day of the year for the southern hemisphere.

It's a nice place to raise kids and it has a more laid back nature than the hustle & bustle of the big cities.
Great scenery as well.

Hobart I've noticed has become a popular destination for tourists and people moving down to escape the heat.

Jobs remain an issue & now housing has become expensive with the rising popularity of the area.
Yeah I heard renting down their is comparable to Sydney for price which is crazy
Some ripper restaurants though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a friend who was born and raised on Vancouver Island. From how he behaves and speaks about it, seems like it's exactly like Canada's Tasmania.

A friend of mine went to vancouver about 15 years ago on a working visa. Never returned, met a local, married kids and loves it there.
Married kids? Is that legal?

Back on topic, minus four tomorrow morning. This morning was the first proper frost of the year that I've seen.

Been on mains water for a while as our pump broke....Mrs was filling the kettle 5 mins ago and yells out "theres no cold water pressure"
It took a min to come good, pipes must've had a little ice in it somewhere
Still white grass out on the block so must of be been in the minus last night
House was 17 degrees when we got up, and thats a fully insulated home including internally walls

Fires cranked already
It's ******* cold

We've had an unusually cold week here in CQ. I even had to put a jacket on at one stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back