The dislike and lol buttons need review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive recieved over a dozen lol posts today. Mostly from a certain supporter base. Im mentally struggling. Can we please please fix this issue. mental health is important.
Put them on ignore, report them to mods if it is bullying.

It's taken me a bit, but I actually agree with Seeds.

You've got people like Bomberboy and Bluespooner who both don't argue their points, just going along disliking whole pages of content. Is the point of this forum to converse, because I don't see much conversation going on when this occurs.

It's taken me a bit, but I actually agree with Seeds.

You've got people like Bomberboy and Bluespooner who both don't argue their points, just going along disliking whole pages of content. Is the point of this forum to converse, because I don't see much conversation going on when this occurs.
Have a talk to the mods of the boards in question.

There are options if people are abusing the feature.

Have a talk to the mods of the boards in question.

There are options if people are abusing the feature.
There are certain posters who need weeks off just from tge like and dislike buttons. i dont want them banned from conversation. I want to encourage them to engage. Can we just ban dislikes/lols when they abused but not ban the posters from the forum?

There are certain posters who need weeks off just from tge like and dislike buttons. i dont want them banned from conversation. I want to encourage them to engage. Can we just ban dislikes/lols when they abused but not ban the posters from the forum?
Have a talk to the mods on the boards. There are options.

I don't think there is any real value in the dislike button. Posters almost never follow up with some argument justifying it - it's more a cheap drive by.

Even the Haha button is used far more sarcastically than purely for the purposes of backing a funny post.

Most can acknowledge how petty it is leaving one of these on a post, and I've been guilty of doing it in the past, but if you're struggling these are little hits that can have impact. People use this site to express opinions, some will be unpopular or abstract, but they don't need to be piled on.

I don't think there is any real value in the dislike button. Posters almost never follow up with some argument justifying it - it's more a cheap drive by.

Even the Haha button is used far more sarcastically than purely for the purposes of backing a funny post.

Most can acknowledge how petty it is leaving one of these on a post, and I've been guilty of doing it in the past, but if you're struggling these are little hits that can have impact. People use this site to express opinions, some will be unpopular or abstract, but they don't need to be piled on.
I think there is in certain cases.

Example: Poster A comments something borderline racist/**** shaming etc that isn't quite bad enough to be justifiably deleted but gross enough. If there is no dislike button, anybody coming through will only see the 'likes' from our worst posters and become emboldened. At least with a dislike button, there will hopefully be less incentive to make those comments.

I think there is in certain cases.

Example: Poster A comments something borderline racist/**** shaming etc that isn't quite bad enough to be justifiably deleted but gross enough. If there is no dislike button, anybody coming through will only see the 'likes' from our worst posters and become emboldened. At least with a dislike button, there will hopefully be less incentive to make those comments.
But you can and should still be calling out that post. If they back off from what they said - said that it's a joke or that you've misinterpreted the post - the post itself is not normalized.

A blank dislike on a post does nothing at all, because it is important to say if you disagree or dislike something why you disagree or dislike something. Your reason is relevant in a way your dislike is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you can and should still be calling out that post. If they back off from what they said - said that it's a joke or that you've misinterpreted the post - the post itself is not normalized.

A blank dislike on a post does nothing at all, because it is important to say if you disagree or dislike something why you disagree or dislike something. Your reason is relevant in a way your dislike is not.
50 people clogging up the thread disagreeing with something is more tedious to read than 50 dislikes.

50 people clogging up the thread disagreeing with something is more tedious to read than 50 dislikes.
Name the times you've seen 50 people disliking a single post without it being removed.

And 50 people having a crack at something provides a community consensus that something probably shouldn't be allowed, which then redefines the moderation criteria for the better.

No, just no.

You’re pretending these buttons have killed debate. Maybe people can’t be bothered replying to 4 paragraph posts, or, got the response they wanted.

Furthermore, there’s no rule you’re obliged to respond to anyone no matter how much effort they put in.

Finally, if 2% of people changed their mind on a topic because of well reasoned posts I’d be shocked. Evidence: SRP

Internet debates - serious business.
The SRP board is the best board on big footy. More changing of the mind happens there then anywhere else. More knowledge transfer than the rest of big footy combined

Not if they post their reasoning. Then we can understand whether they are fools or have a genuine point. If they dont have a genuine point a lot of those posters will never post because the act of posting engages reason And they will realise they have nothing. Disliking posts does not engage reason. Its just emotion.

This.

If the point of a forum is to have conversation, then the addition of the dislike and the laugh emoge undermine it completely. People are allowed to mock a post in support of a player in every post they come up in without putting themselves or a perspective on the line; people are allowed to disagree with a post or position without saying why.

This is actively happening on the Carlton board at present, and it's obnoxious.

This.

If the point of a forum is to have conversation, then the addition of the dislike and the laugh emoge undermine it completely. People are allowed to mock a post in support of a player in every post they come up in without putting themselves or a perspective on the line; people are allowed to disagree with a post or position without saying why.

This is actively happening on the Carlton board at present, and it's obnoxious.
They have perfectly legitimate uses. If it’s being abused you can contact the mods and the person may lose their react button.

They have perfectly legitimate uses. If it’s being abused you can contact the mods and the person may lose their react button.
I can and I do, but there reaches a point in which playing whack-a-mole doesn't help you and is simply creating busywork your mods don't want to do or won't bother with.

Either this is a forum and if you disagree with a post and you wish to express it you should be forced to say why, or this is not a forum and is a venue for people to get cheap laughs at the expense of other people's mental health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back