Shield The Final: Western Australia vs Tasmania, The WACA, 21-25 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, it's bizarre to have Rocchiccioli at 11 when you need quick runs in the next 10 overs

A fifty for Connolly, taking a punt on him paying off, he is holding the WA innings together now.
It wasn’t really a punt, more intelligent deduction, and why people should trust actual selectors more.
There’s no way you could seriously pick Fanning or Wyllie.
Short opening was probably the “punt” if you need to use the word.

It wasn’t really a punt, more intelligent deduction, and why people should trust actual selectors more.
Wyllie has two centuries in his last three Premier Cricket games, there absolutely was a case. Both Wyllie or Connolly were educated risks. There was no guarantee Cooper would excel under the pressure of a final.

Wyllie has two centuries in his last three Premier Cricket games, there absolutely was a case. Both Wyllie or Connolly were educated risks. There was no guarantee Cooper would excel under the pressure of a final.
Wyllie has so much to work on in First Class cricket he needs solid off season, not a Shield Final.
There’s levels to cricket, and he’s been well and truly been worked out at Shield Level already.
I do think he has the work ethic though.

I was actually more disappointed young haskett got dropped and stobo stayed in the side

No we don't.
We just need to try and properly.
This game could well be decided by outright victory at this point. We are well ahead on bonus points, now we need to concentrate on a solid first innings total, like you would in a normal 5 day game.

Things to also consider is First Class cricketers aren’t used to playing 5 day games, the extra day is a lot.

Tasmania need to bat last, and this isn’t a drop in wicket, it’s the WACA, a pitch notorious for turning to crap rather than the fantasy version of how wonderful it is.

80-100 more runs this innings, outside this bonus points thing people seem so fascinated in, will be far more crucial to the final outcome, especially considering we are already ahead on bonus points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually more disappointed young haskett got dropped and stobo stayed in the side
Yes it’s disappointing, but disappointment happens in finals selection.
Stobo has built up a solid piece of work, earned the selectors trust and confidence over a period of time, and has rightfully been selected this time.

It’s why this “boys club” talk is so lazy.
You earn trust, confidence and faith, then you get rewarded for it.

Haskett can put a longer patch of form forward next year.

Yes it’s disappointing, but disappointment happens in finals selection.
Stobo has built up a solid piece of work, earned the selectors trust and confidence over a period of time, and has rightfully been selected this time.

It’s why this “boys club” talk is so lazy.
You earn trust, confidence and faith, then you get rewarded for it.

Haskett can put a longer patch of form forward next year.
I thought Haskett was stiff to be dropped as well.

But you have to put faith in Voges and Co I guess.
They've been pretty good over the journey.

The two bats they've brought in have both got runs.

Why do we need quick runs when we are well ahead on bonus points?
I've tried a couple of times to write this and I can't work out the way to articulate it properly so bare with me.

I don't necessarily think that WA should concentrate on scoring quickly in the next 10 overs at the expense of the overall match and Connelly will likely be scoring quickly anyway in these 10 overs so any specific instructions aren't really required.

However, being ahead on bonus points when you're batting and the other team is bowling isn't necessarily a good reason not to concentrate on bonus points. You really need to be decide what you think the opposition are capable of doing with the bat and comparing that to your batting bonus points and vice versa with the bowling.

Not really relevant to the above but I really like the system for the final. I like that it essentially reverts back to first innings winner (after 100 overs) - which is so often the decider in 2/3 day finals at any level below this - without incentivising batting for 200 overs in the 1st innings.

It's not perfect by a long stretch but it's better than the alternatives for me.

I've tried a couple of times to write this and I can't work out the way to articulate it properly so bare with me.

I don't necessarily think that WA should concentrate on scoring quickly in the next 10 overs at the expense of the overall match and Connelly will likely be scoring quickly anyway in these 10 overs so any specific instructions aren't really required.

However, being ahead on bonus points when you're batting and the other team is bowling isn't necessarily a good reason not to concentrate on bonus points. You really need to be decide what you think the opposition are capable of doing with the bat and comparing that to your batting bonus points and vice versa with the bowling.

Not really relevant to the above but I really like the system for the final. I like that it essentially reverts back to first innings winner (after 100 overs) - which is so often the decider in 2/3 day finals at any level below this - without incentivising batting for 200 overs in the 1st innings.

It's not perfect by a long stretch but it's better than the alternatives for me.
It completely negates the potential for the home team to bat for 3 days and make 700-odd, which used to happen.

It completely negates the potential for the home team to bat for 3 days and make 700-odd, which used to happen.
They were talking about this on the broadcast, they referred to two finals between Victoria and Queensland in the 2000s when one team scored 710 and 900 respectively. Interestingly, those games actually got results, not draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back