news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliveira is one impressive kid! I love his sub's. Easily fight of the night for mine.

Marquardt was very good to take advantage of that split second lapse by Palhares.

edit: Anyone see Ultimate Fighter?? If you haven't Check out the start of Dane Sayers fight. Insane what he does.
I just saw Oliveira's fight. What a crazy submission. Just jumped on his back, wrapped his 3 metre long legs around his waist and RNC'd him out. All this after he got sack tapped just before.

Pretty nice card :thumbsu:

Tibau and Palhares are HUGE they must be on some roids :eek:

Olivera was very impressive, although I thought he looked a little weak in the clinch. Perhaps he could put on a bit more meat? I don't know how easily he is making the weight but if Tibau can fight at lightweight with his muscle mass then surely Olivera can put on a little bit more size..

Palhares..... even if he was greased up you're in a ****ing fight mate.. what are you stopping for? :confused:

Cole Miller was pretty awesome. Very aggressive :thumbsu:

Unbelievable that Tibau can make LW, he'd be pushing 200 lbs on fight night. Nice stuff by Miller. First time I pick Pearson and Miller pulls that out...

The UFC are onto something special with Oliveira. Impressive debut but he showed so much more this time. At 20 years old his ground game is already insane and his striking looks to have potential. When he fills out and gets strong, the division better watch out.

That was badass by Marquardt. Even if he did grease, wtf is Palhares doing taking his eye off the ball, especially against someone like Nate who can put you out in seconds? And the leg wasn't even close to locked, so I'm not sure what he was doing.

Palhares has apologized for the false greasing accusation

"I'm very sorry for the accusations I made," Palhares told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Nate Marquardt did not cheat in any way, and I'm very sorry to him and his team for my actions in the fight."

That was a good show though, I really enjoyed it. Cole's fight was awesome, so glad he won. 40k SOTN bonuses were deservedly given to him and Oliveira.

Good of Palhares to apologise, in what was just an amateur mistake by him. Marquardt wouldn't like to win like that, but he'll take it.

Oliveira was awesome, look forward to watching him next.

oliv-take.gif

So great.

LOL at Palhares. Hasn't he seen Enter The Dragon?
"Never lower your eyes to an opponent".

I think Marquardt would do a lot better in a rematch with Sonnen than their previous fight. Marquardt's expressed how he was bitterly disappointed with his own performance last time in not following the gameplan so if Sonnen beats Anderson then a Marquardt vs Sonnen title fight would be great. However, I can see Marquardt having a number 1 contender fight with Okami before then which would be a good fight too.

Oliveira definitely looks the goods. He's incredibly talented for someone so young but I think his enthusiasm could seriously backfire against a good striker (see Hazelett vs Daley) or he might even gas with the energy level he fights at. Clay Guida would be a good match up I reckon. Guida will test his conditioning, he'll stand and trade strikes and I think he'll be a real challenge for Oliveira on the ground.

Belfort/Okami winner is getting the next title shot so maybe Marquardt will have to settle with a rematch against the loser of Anderson/Sonnen. The middleweight division is not nearly as deep as they like to make out. I like his chances against Anderson in a rematch, although he wouldn't be the favourite. I think he'll go about the same against Sonnen. He just isn't good enough off his back for Sonnen.

Uh oh......

According to California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer George Dodd, Chael Sonnen has been notified that he failed post-fight drug screening following his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117, which was held Aug. 7 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

Full article here

Goodbye rematch.

That's just stupid... seriously... why even bother with drugs. You will get caught.

Also some news

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20643/ufc-123-official-with-rampage-vs-machida-hughes-vs-penn-iii.mma

Promotion officials today confirmed that, as expected, "UFC 123: Rampage vs. Machida" takes place Nov. 20 at the Palace at Auburn Hills in suburban Detroit.

The evening's main event sees former light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Lyoto Machida clash, while the night's co-feature sees MMA legends Matt Hughes and B.J. Penn clash for a third time.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20643/ufc-123-official-with-rampage-vs-machida-hughes-vs-penn-iii.mma

UFC 123 is an awesome card.

And what horrible news about Sonnen. I'm a big Silva fan, but this is just bad news for all of the UFC, and its fans.

This really makes Sonnen look like an idiot after all the s**t talking that was involved with that Silva fight. :)

Definitely bad for the image of the UFC though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arlovski and Overeem are taking part in the K-1 World Grand Prix Final 16 event in a couple of weeks, plus Kharitonov is in action in a non-tournament fight too. Overeem took part in the GP last year, making the semi-finals before going down to Badr Hari, I think this will be Arlovski's kickboxing debut though.

Hari's out of the GP this year due to legal issues (I think) and Bonjansky's got an eye injury that will probably end his career. With both of them out, Schilt will probably be a heavy favourite to win his fifth GP.

Can anyone clarify whether Sonnen's positive drug test was a result of him stupidly taking something like flu medication without checking the ingredients or is he actually a juice head who took steroids to get an advantage?

TUF winner Efrain Escudero has been released by the UFC. He's talking to Strikeforce and Bellator. It's not surprising that he's been let go as he's 2-2 since winning TUF and didn't even make weight for the Oliveira fight.

Anyone see this:

[YOUTUBE]qBe30OjFdHU[/YOUTUBE]

Idiots on sherdog going on about Wanderlei punking out Sonnen. Seems to me to be a respectful -albeit uninterested on Sonnen's part- conversation between two adults.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12665&zoneid=3

A sample from Sonnen's August 6 drug test came back with a high T/E (testosterone-to-estrogen) level, which is indicative of anabolic steroid use. CSAC learned of the results September 2 and ordered a second test, which also came back positive for steroid use. CSAC received test results from the second sample on September 14 and suspended Sonnen two days later. He is suspended for one year. Sonnen has 30 days to appeal the decision.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12665&zoneid=3

So looks like the re-match is on hold for a while. Imagine if he did win that fight.... Dana would have been really pissed..

The Reem was frightening, really hope to see him against Schilt in the finals. It's a shame that K-1's pretty much banned the clinch as he'd be even more devastating if he could throw countless knees. Ghita's probably the only other real threat in the tournament, Aerts is too old, Spong, Saki and Kyotaro are undersized and Mighty Mo's got zero chance. I only got to see the last two rounds but the Zambidis fight in the K-1 MAX Final 16 last night was said to be insane, and the two rounds I saw lived up to that.

Pretty decent Strikeforce event today. Tyrone Woodley impressing against an equally unimpressive Galvao. Great contest between Cavalcante and Thomson, although I though JZ clearly won the fight. Great slugfest in the main event with Diaz rightfully taking the decision. If Diaz could wrestle he would be right up there in P4P rankings. Right now he's not that far off.

I still can't watch women fight though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back