The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a particularly strong relationship between dental health and recovery from heart surgery. People with bad teeth and/or gum disease are much more likely to have recovery complications after heart surgery.

We know heart disease is one of the top health problems in Australia, and we know surgery is incredibly expensive.

I’m neither a hospital manager nor an actuary but I daresay the Greens are acting on expert advice that timely dental intervention nationwide will cause a reduction in bed days for, e.g. recovering heart surgery patients, that will be a net gain to the bottom line.

And that is just one of the major health issues with which dental health is intertwined.

And what about the proven link between visibly bad teeth and reduced unemployment prospects?

Two things. Finland is another small country that manages to do alright by its citizens, but they don’t have anything like the resource rents of Norway.

Secondly, you still haven’t explained your fundamental point of how size (which is such an advantage in delivery of so many things) is suddenly an excuse for failure in delivering public health and welfare policy.
yes i have explained it. The oil wealth spreads far when the populations are small. Not so much when the populations are large. Its easy to find export markets when you are a very small portion of the world. And you only need 1 good to excel at. When you are a big economy, and the leading world economy, you have to rely on your own domestic citizens more and be much more diverse in production.

the economies of scale point you make would be true if the world didnt trade and were closed economies. But we are in a trading world.

finland would be a better comparison. its still tiny though. less people then the state of victoria. Are there any big countries of over 30 million people that we can compare the usa to?

Last edited:

Complete nonsense. There is a huge relationship between dental health and general health, heart health in particular. Your poor kids.
No there isnt. Its dentist propoganda. To get more visits. Are you guys really this gullible to fall for it?

my partner is a head consultant doctor at a major hospital. She makes us do way to many health checkups for my liking cos she is risk averse but claims to have expertise. So who am i to question it. I think our health is more then fine. Oh and none of those checkups involve dentists. She hasnt been to the dentist for a few years as well. Waste of time and money.

you guys are only posting this extreme defense of dentistry because its green policy and it must be defended like a football team. Think critically. If the greens were spending a lot more money on hospitals, like they should be, you would be defending that to hill as well? If im wrong here tell me which greens policies are wrong? They must have some that are wrong. They cant be perfect in all of their 50 odd policies?

Last edited:
No there isnt. Its dentist propoganda. To get more visits. Are you guys really this gullible to fall for it?

my partner is a head consultant doctor at a major hospital. She makes us do way to many health checkups for my liking cos she is risk averse but claims to have expertise. So who am i to question it. I think our health is more then fine. Oh and none of those checkups involve dentists. She hasnt been to the dentist for a few years as well. Waste of time and money.

you guys are only posting this extreme defense of dentistry because its green policy and it must be defended like a football team. Think critically. If the greens were spending a lot more money on hospitals, like they should be, you would be defending that to hill as well? If im wrong here tell me which greens policies are wrong? They must have some that are wrong. They cant be perfect in all of their 50 odd policies?

yes i have explained it. The oil wealth spreads far when the populations are small. Not so much when the populations are large. Its easy to find export markets when you are a very small portion of the world. And you only need 1 good to excel at. When you are a big economy, and the leading world economy, you have to rely on your own domestic citizens more and be much more diverse in production.

the economies of scale point you make would be true if the world didnt trade and were closed economies. But we are in a trading world.

finland would be a better comparison. its still tiny though. less people then the state of victoria. Are there any big countries of over 30 million people that we can compare the usa to?
That makes no sense at all. You still haven’t explained how size prevents implementation. And if size IS an obstacle to implementation, you ignored my point that over half of US states (the level where so much of the nation’s social, health and welfare policy is enacted and implemented) have smaller populations than Norway.

In the richest period in human history, the US has been the richest country in the world for something like 150 years now. They have the money, in spades. All that is lacking is the will to distribute it fairly. Too big LOL.

Last edited:

The flaw in your argument is that you assume universal dental care is going to come at market rates.
Basic economics should tell you that universal dental care will bring the price down.
Even if dentists wanted to charge exhorbitant market rates, universal dental care, like the PBS & other healthcare won't be funded at those market rates.
The govt can basically set its own rates.
Every state currently provides free basic dental care to those who can't afford it.

The amount they charge is ridiculous but that doesn't mean it's a bright idea to try your luck in not going.. Gotta go at least once a year and if they pick anything up it's far, far cheaper and less painful to rectify it early rather than if it gets really bad.

I can afford to go every 6 months but something needs to be done to at least help a bit for people that can't to get in there at least once a year.

So the Greens are in the pocket of Big Teeth? Is that the gist of this thread at the moment?
You didn't realise this looking at Bandt's pearly whites?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes no sense at all. You still haven’t explained how size prevents implementation. And if size IS an obstacle to implementation, you ignored my point that over half of US states (the level where so much of the nation’s social, health and welfare policy is enacted and implemented) have smaller populations than Norway.

In the richest period in human history, the US has been the richest country in the world for something like 150 years now. They have the money, in spades. All that is lacking is the will to distribute it fairly. Too big LOL.
You dont understand how 50/5 is a bigger number than 50/200?

well thats on you.

So the Greens are in the pocket of Big Teeth? Is that the gist of this thread at the moment?
Yes. They want to give medicare money to a privatised industry but let the privatised industry keep all the profit. Even the libs arent that bad (ok they are pretty close).

explain how free annual dentist checkups are just when we cant even get a free annual health checkup at the GP? In what insane world is the dentist more important than the doctor?

its either lobbying from the dentist lobby or gross idiocy that results in such a policy. And i dont think the greens are gross idiots.

The flaw in your argument is that you assume universal dental care is going to come at market rates.
Basic economics should tell you that universal dental care will bring the price down.
Even if dentists wanted to charge exhorbitant market rates, universal dental care, like the PBS & other healthcare won't be funded at those market rates.
The govt can basically set its own rates.
Every state currently provides free basic dental care to those who can't afford it.
And how does giving a subsidy lower the price a private business recieves? Can you explain how that would work? The govt doesnt get to set the rates private businesses ask for. The government can cap the subsidy but it cant cap the price.

and making things universal always makes the cost go up. It just changes who pays for it and who extracts the rent. I.e. instead of the consumer paying its the tax payer. And if the sector goes public as it turns universal then Instead of profit going to the private sector it also goes to the tax payer.

Last edited:
Yes. They want to give medicare money to a privatised industry but let the privatised industry keep all the profit. Even the libs arent that bad (ok they are pretty close).

explain how free annual dentist checkups are just when we cant even get a free annual health checkup at the GP? In what insane world is the dentist more important than the doctor?

its either lobbying from the dentist lobby or gross idiocy that results in such a policy. And i dont think the greens are gross idiots.
Ummmmmm.... Isn't that what bulk billing is?????

You dont understand how 50/5 is a bigger number than 50/200?

well thats on you.
It’s the richest country outright in the world.

Per capita, it’s still one of the richest countries. Per capita it’s richer than tiny Finland, or Germany (Germany manages to do the right thing by its citizens and it has 83 million people. Is that big enough yet, or is that still a “small” country”?)

It uses its enormous wealth and power to deliver practically anything it sets its mind to.

But somehow it’s “too big” to deliver on equality for its citizens.

Let’s have a quick poll folks.

Put your hand up if you’ve ever, in your life, heard an American say “we’d love to do that, but we can’t, we’re just too big.”
Not those exact words but that exact argument is very common yes.

It's the go to for US conservatives to explain how their government cant do insert issue when you point out that other countries can.

On SM-G955U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

have you heard of bulk billing seeds?

It's starting to become clear Seeds hasn't made much use of the healthcare system in general. Sounds like he treats his body like his car and does the servicing himself.
I'm wondering what youtube rabbit hole they've gone down for this one

teeth aren't important its all propaganda to steal money is a new one

Where do you live where you can't get a free checkup at the GP?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back