FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they ever explain why the colonies are like that?

They haven't specifically, but in season one the cook in June's household talks about losing her son in "the war" coupled with the fact there are still two US states (can't remember exactly which ones) not part of Gilead guessing there was an uprising of some sort and Gilead went the nukes.

They haven't specifically, but in season one the cook in June's household talks about losing her son in "the war" coupled with the fact there are still two US states (can't remember exactly which ones) not part of Gilead guessing there was an uprising of some sort and Gilead went the nukes.

I went reading posting that.

The us government is in alaska and they still control Hawaii.

Either gilead used battlefield nukes against rebels or the us army salted the earth on the way out.
Or we know the environment is ****ed so some could be just pollution

I went reading posting that.

The us government is in alaska and they still control Hawaii.

Either gilead used battlefield nukes against rebels or the us army salted the earth on the way out.
Or we know the environment is ****** so some could be just pollution

The flashbacks I find fascinating almost more then the current time story line.

That scene on the hanging gantry was one of the most terrifying things I have seen in a TV show. The flashbacks are enthralling still, learning how society has become like this. How bit by bit rights are taken away, and people just put up with it hoping it'll change until it's too late. I agree to finally see the colonies gives this story a new feel. This dystopian world is one chilling mofo.

Some info about the Colonies (doing some reading on the handmaid's tale to refresh my memory)

The official, on-paper goal of the Colonies is to restore a radioactive landscape. More significantly, though, the Colonies exist as a dumping grounds for those considered unfit for Gileadean society – a population also known as “Unpeople.” What constitutes an Unperson? Here are a Colony-worthy crimes: Emily was sent to the Colonies for stealing a car and running over a Guardian; Janine (Madeline Brewer) was sent to the Colonies for trying to take her life and her baby's life; the Wife (Marisa Tomei) was sent to the Colonies for cheating on her Commander husband. The Colonies are also home to old women, handmaids who fail to conceive, and "gender traitors."
According Moira's description the book, both men and women are sent away. "I’d say it’s about a quarter men in the Colonies, too. Not all of those Gender Traitors end up on the Wall," she says. But this maybe another aspect in which the show has deviated from the source material. In the show, it seems men are automatically hanged for their crimes, some women — like Emily's lover — are hanged, and most are sent to the Colonies

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back