Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a recent flittertwitter post, (what ever they are called ), by Paul Chapman . He made a comment about someone, a premiership player (cant remember who) was getting booed and said something like it showed him how well Geelong faithful treated him.

It was about Isaac on Easter Monday.

It was about Isaac on Easter Monday.

This man hated everything Hawthorn. Apart from Ablett Snr, probably my second favourite footballer. Always played his best against that mob. A travesty he was moved on the manor in which he was. Bled blue and white and was a cornerstone in making us a powerhouse of the competition for a decade.

I'd happily give the man a kidney if he ever needed one :thumbsu:

I think I can. I work with a guy who is a mad Blues fan (anaesthetist), and he keeps telling me when we catch up monthly that Hendo basically shafted Carlton when he knew he was leaving. Poor attitude, poor training, made it obvious he was leaving. He knows I really rate Hendo as a player, but it seems he did not treat Carlton like GAJ did GC, or Geelong when he left both teams, or like Tim Kelly did at Geelong.
Of course we don't know how true these assertions are, and comments by CS suggest Hendo is the ultimate team-first player, as he has said several times recently. That goes against the criticism of him in his last season at Carlton.
He certainly is Carlton's loss and our gain, whichever way we look at it.

Would be handy being an anaesthetist and a Carlton supporter. Just knock yourself out at the first ball up and forget the entire game

I came here looking for a few Brad Close posts but none as yet 🤷‍♂️
Was he roving packs and snapping credible shots on goal from open play? Has he shown any ability to break lines?

what no. Well Nothing to see here then. 4 weeks and counting. Still nothing on that front from our foward pocket.

great pressure and effort though. Don’t think anyone has disputed that aspect

Was he roving packs and snapping credible shots on goal from open play? Has he shown any ability to break lines?

what no. Well Nothing to see here then. 4 weeks and counting. Still nothing on that front from our foward pocket.

For an apparent "forward pocket", he seems to spend a hell of a lot of game time further up the ground and not really that deep or close to goal - almost like he's not actually a designated forward pocket goal sneak

15224196-E00E-49CA-A5C8-C42C5C832B58.jpeg

Maybe that's where you're going wrong in your assessment of Close and not understanding his role in the team

Attachments

• FC142B39-229D-45C1-B53E-E1B9234FBFFA.jpeg
    FC142B39-229D-45C1-B53E-E1B9234FBFFA.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 30

Close has played 22 games yet is already among our best decision-makers and ball users. That is a remarkable comparison given the experience and quality of the playing group around him.

He is so clean with the ball—a one-touch player when receiving and releasing possession. He is efficient, rarely wasting disposal. His read of the game is exceptional; he has that un-coachable knack of anticipating the play. He runs to excellent spots, is quick to close down space, and tackles well for a lighter built player. He knows when to stay out of a contest and when to go.

His performance this week was excellent: 100% disposal efficiency in the wet, great poise to nail a long-range set shot from the boundary, the deft pass to Hawkins advantage, the chase-down tackles, etc.

There's so much to like about this footballer for those capable of seeing beyond the 'Hollywood' stuff.

For an apparent "forward pocket", he seems to spend a hell of a lot of game time further up the ground and not really that deep or close to goal - almost like he's not actually a designated forward pocket goal sneak

View attachment 1179237

Maybe that's where you're going wrong in your assessment of Close and not understanding his role in the team
That map is just where he gets the ball. And he certainly is better at finding it up the field. My issue is he can’t find the ball deep foward as he can’t rove packs and that map continues to prove that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His read of the game is exceptional; he has that un-coachable knack of anticipating the play. He runs to excellent spots, is quick to close down space, and tackles well for a lighter built player.

Did close have to run 16km again this game to get his 12 touches?

Close is developing but at this stage he's a barely serviceable small forward.

Nothing Seeds has said about close is incorrect. I don't think anyone hates him as a player as he has shown clean hand and looks to be a clever player at times. But let's not pretend he is a gun small forward when he doesn't know how to rove packs and kick goals.

View attachment 1179237

Well if you're taking possessions in the oppo forwards pocket, you're still in a forward pocket I guess

Did close have to run 16km again this game to get his 12 touches?

Close is developing but at this stage he's a barely serviceable small forward.

Nothing Seeds has said about close is incorrect. I don't think anyone hates him as a player as he has shown clean hand and looks to be a clever player at times. But let's not pretend he is a gun small forward when he doesn't know how to rove packs and kick goals.
He doesn't play like an Eddie Betts type sure, but that's not what he's there to do, and what he's there to do is making him best 22. I'm excited to have a very quick kid who knows where to run, has a good instinct for effective link up possession, and is very attacking with his disposal.

Isn't this the "I was wrong" thread?

Then why the hell is Seeds posting in this thread? Because (or "cos" as he would say) he is never going to admit that he is wrong about anything.

Coming to an I was Wrong thread to reiterate your idiotic view points and never admit to being wrong about anything is about the most "seeds" move I have seen this week.

Never change seeds, just keep being you.

Isn't this the "I was wrong" thread?

Then why the hell is Seeds posting in this thread? Because (or "cos" as he would say) he is never going to admit that he is wrong about anything.

Coming to an I was Wrong thread to reiterate your idiotic view points and never admit to being wrong about anything is about the most "seeds" move I have seen this week.

Never change seeds, just keep being you.
Seeds thought it was "The I AM Wrong" thread

I have been critical of the MC's tactic of referring to players who are left out of the team when they are down on form as 'managed'. I was wrong on this.

The fact is it's worked the past two weeks for Higggins and Dahlhaus. I'm sure they got the message that their form needed to improve, and it has. Having a week's rest wouldn't have hurt either.

As others have said, consistency is the key. Dahlhaus plays well in the wet, but he needs to back up his performance last night, wet or dry.

And regardless, come finals the MC will have to make the hard call on players: 25 (or so) doesn't go into 22.

Those continuing with that line of argument against Close are genuinely just showing they have little idea about football.
remember the GFC board accepts all types of footy knowledge and levels of footy intellect within reason - thus they have a home here even as wildly inaccurate as they may be.

And we all have the wrongs - some just hang onto them WAY Longer and harder than others irrespective of reality.

Go CAtters

That map is just where he gets the ball. And he certainly is better at finding it up the field. My issue is he can’t find the ball deep foward as he can’t rove packs and that map continues to prove that point.

At least with this post you've admitted you don't understand his role within the team and are instead wrongly judging him based on a role you've incorrectly created for him rather than his actual contribution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back