Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was a Tom Ruggles clone. Got that horribly wrong.
There was nothing wrong with Tom Ruggles. The guy tried his best each week even if his best wasn’t great. What I miss about him was his ferocity because he reminded me of the guys who had retired in the 5 years before him. He liked the physicality and I miss that down at Geelong.

Most unfair delisting since probably Todd Grima.

There was nothing wrong with Tom Ruggles. The guy tried his best each week even if his best wasn’t great. What I miss about him was his ferocity because he reminded me of the guys who had retired in the 5 years before him. He liked the physicality and I miss that down at Geelong.

No one denying his effort.

Completely agree. Apart from one horror QF against Hawthorn, didn't do a heap wrong in his first year. Barely got a look in with his second year and gone after a concussion against Hawthorn.

I believe that the club saw his disposal as a bit of a liability, and clearly other clubs saw it that way too, as nobody went on to draft him.

Played one decent season, then got sent back to the VFL to work on his kicking. But once he'd got that sorted he couldn't break back into the team. Damned unfortunate.
Copped a fat concussion then a busted collarbone... but most of all, copped Tom Stewart.

I thought Miers was horribly out of form and needed multiple weeks in the VFL and that his selection was a disgrace. Nice game ✅
Just have the player get a haircut, make them sub & then play them primarily in their preferred spot - that last part is as crazy idea huh 😉

I was wrong about recruiting Stengle and Eddie into the coaching staff

I thought they’d be good pickups

They have been outstanding pickups
Stengle has been outstanding hasn’t he? Fitted in seamlessly. On track for 40+ season goals. AA territory.

Stengle has been outstanding hasn’t he? Fitted in seamlessly. On track for 40+ season goals. AA territory.
He is a waaaay better player than I was expecting. he looked like an outsider almost early, not now. Confidence is sky high and agree, he must be in AA talks. Awesome get by the club.

We do baragins as good or better than anyone dont we. it’s nearly embarrassing mentioning Tom Stewart was a pick in the 40s as a mature ager ❤️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Miers front - just reckon this kid is made for the forward 50. Never going to get better from him by having him up the ground. He's a goal sneak. Play him to his strengths.
I have said it a few times but his roaming role suits Close better and Miers is more dangerous inside 50 so swap them.

On the Miers front - just reckon this kid is made for the forward 50. Never going to get better from him by having him up the ground. He's a goal sneak. Play him to his strengths.
I disagree. One of Miers’ best attributes is his running power - as used to good effect in 2020. He is a creative player forward of the ball and his decision making will get better.

Besides, the stay at home forward - tall or small - is a tactical dinosaur. Even in our golden era, none of Chapman, SJ or Stokes stayed at home. Keeping one forward pocket robs us of unpredictability and keeps Close and Stengle out of it, too.

Just have the player get a haircut, make them sub & then play them primarily in their preferred spot - that last part is as crazy idea huh 😉
Looked more like Buddha in several ways on Saturday. Liked his game.

Tom Atkins.

That’s the post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back