Opinion The I Was Wrong thread- Where Tom Atkins posts go to die

Remove this Banner Ad

I should be a bit clearer: if we had done the first (played him in the seniors off half-back) then we wouldn't have had to trade him for a pick in the 20s. Once we were into October, yep, we were only getting p22 and fair enough.

Fair point and i agree we should have played him last year more (think scarlett had too much say there) but once we didnt and he asked for a trade pick 22 + future 3rd was a good return there was no way known we were getting more in a trade for him at the end of this year.

Tom Atkins

Tom Atkins. Saw him as nothing more than a good ordinary player.

He's a star.

Change the thread title:

“The Tom Atkins Award: a.k.a I was wrong”

I was wrong about Zuthrie.
I thought he was done and the only reason he was on the list was his brother, figured he'd struggle to play a game this season, especially if we were contending, and he'd likely be gone.
Nup.
He's been very good to great all year holding down a key post and has brought some quality ball movement and offensive play into his game.
Now a key player.
I remember when GAJ was only in the team because of his father.

Great story from Lingy on the club podcast this week about when the skipper came down to training at the Cattery (as part of the AFL Academy) in the early stages of 2006. After a couple of days, a number of players went to Wellsy and told him you have to do whatever you can to get this bloke. He already looked like he was part of the group and it was as if he had been around the place for several years.

Wells told them thanks very much but that there was next to no chance that a gun like Selwood would be available at their pick. We were coming off PF/SF finishes in the previous two seasons, and Joel was pretty much expected to go at pick 1. As events unfolded, of course, our 2006 season imploded, leaving us with pick 7 to take to the draft. And Joel did his knee and slid (somewhat) down the pecking order.

And this is where it gets even better. Wells apparently told his wife before heading off to the draft that if he was able to call out the name of either J. Selwood or T. Boak on the night, he would be a very happy man. So when Boak went at pick 5 to Port, Wells thought he was done and started formulating his next plan for how to salvage the pick. When, lo and behold, the Hawks called out the name of M. Thorp at pick 6 instead. Supposedly he couldn't get the words out quick enough (and was stumbling over the syllables) when he then announced J. Selwood with our pick. Only to coolly slide one T. Hawkins onto the list with pick 41 (father/son) a little later on as well.

And so, through the acquisition of the skipper, a huge component of changing our club's trajectory was locked into place. Not mostly through astute talent identification but instead through a series of unforeseen circumstances and missteps from others (and even ourselves, in having such a pitiful '06 season). And the Hawks (who have supposedly 'cost us' so much, according to some) actually played their part in confirming our '07 - '11 ascendancy.

Sometimes truth is absolutely stranger than fiction.
It is worth noting that the Hawks spanked us in round 22 that year, meaning we finished 10th, half a game behind the Tigers in 9th (lol).

The Tiges #8 pick ended up going to the Pies in a trade, who selected Ben Reid. He would go on to be absolutely ragdolled by Joel's good mate Tom Hawkins in the 4th quarter of the 2011 Grand Final.

It is worth noting that the Hawks spanked us in round 22 that year, meaning we finished 10th, half a game behind the Tigers in 9th (lol).

The Tiges #8 pick ended up going to the Pies in a trade, who selected Ben Reid. He would go on to be absolutely ragdolled by Joel's good mate Tom Hawkins in the 4th quarter of the 2011 Grand Final.
It’s great the Tiges didn’t get the chance to grab Selwood but they absolutely nailed that draft also. Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards have been elite draft picks and long servants.

Winners everywhere here. Hawks could’ve had Jack Riewoldt but no, they got the next Wayne Carey! Your boy Mitch Thorp🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd suggest the club did back him in and gave him opportunities at senior level when his form wasn't exactly warranting of continued selection

At some stage though he needed to take that next step, and play at a level where he wasn't in the omission discussion - he did that in his first season, but he didn't perform at a high level on a consistent basis across seasons 2 & 3, making it an easy choice for the MC to look at other players

As for the trade deal, here's the main question from that - if instead of receiving pick 22 in the trade for Clark, we negotiated to get Fremantle's pick 19 instead, would we have still selected Conway or one of the 3 players taken before we called out Toby's name?

Sure, pick 19 sounds better on paper - but if we're just going to use that selection on the same player we call out 3 names later, is it really worth stressing over or calling the deal a stuff up?
I think you only have to look at the difference in his stats between his time at Geelong and now at Freo. He clearly wasn't having a crack and progressively got worse at the Cats - I suspect that he lacked resilience away from mum after that bad arm injury. Young bloke, fair cop, but can't see anyone in the list management team thinking it was wrong to trade him.

Good luck to him. Might have had a crack at premiership this year if he had stayed.

I should be a bit clearer: if we had done the first (played him in the seniors off half-back) then we wouldn't have had to trade him for a pick in the 20s. Once we were into October, yep, we were only getting p22 and fair enough.
Yes, but now we would have him replacing an intercept marker in Zuthrie who kicks far better into our forward and midfield lines and is also better defensively.

The running half back isn't our game or our set up.

I get where you are coming from, but it feels like trying to fit a round hole around a square peg. Great prospect, but we built the team around Cameron and Hawkins - not a potentially good hbf.

Great story from Lingy on the club podcast this week about when the skipper came down to training at the Cattery (as part of the AFL Academy) in the early stages of 2006. After a couple of days, a number of players went to Wellsy and told him you have to do whatever you can to get this bloke. He already looked like he was part of the group and it was as if he had been around the place for several years.

Wells told them thanks very much but that there was next to no chance that a gun like Selwood would be available at their pick. We were coming off PF/SF finishes in the previous two seasons, and Joel was pretty much expected to go at pick 1. As events unfolded, of course, our 2006 season imploded, leaving us with pick 7 to take to the draft. And Joel did his knee and slid (somewhat) down the pecking order.

And this is where it gets even better. Wells apparently told his wife before heading off to the draft that if he was able to call out the name of either J. Selwood or T. Boak on the night, he would be a very happy man. So when Boak went at pick 5 to Port, Wells thought he was done and started formulating his next plan for how to salvage the pick. When, lo and behold, the Hawks called out the name of M. Thorp at pick 6 instead. Supposedly he couldn't get the words out quick enough (and was stumbling over the syllables) when he then announced J. Selwood with our pick. Only to coolly slide one T. Hawkins onto the list with pick 41 (father/son) a little later on as well.

And so, through the acquisition of the skipper, a huge component of changing our club's trajectory was locked into place. Not mostly through astute talent identification but instead through a series of unforeseen circumstances and missteps from others (and even ourselves, in having such a pitiful '06 season). And the Hawks (who have supposedly 'cost us' so much, according to some) actually played their part in confirming our '07 - '11 ascendancy.

Sometimes truth is absolutely stranger than fiction.
So in life we have ‘sliding door’ movements but in footy it’s ‘sliding picks’ ;)

After last years finals I said Gary Rohan should never play again.

🙋🏻‍♂️

After last years finals I said Gary Rohan should never play again.

🙋🏻‍♂️

🙋🏻‍♂️
Of the 25 (non-Ceglar) players available for selection for the QF, I thought Rohan should have been the first of the three players to miss out.

If there is any Rohan humble pie left, I'd better take a bite. I always knew he had plenty of talent, but didn't think he was worth even the pick in the 60s we paid for him based on output.

Whether it was due to work rate (clearly not!), injury (most certainly part of it), lack of awareness/footy smarts (possible) or something else altogether, he just never seemed to display his talent enough whenever I saw him at Sydney, but he has been consistently great for us this year. I've been especially impressed with his kicking - I thought he was a 'neat' kick, but he's actually an excellent kick.

I was wrong about being wrong about Rohan. Turns out he is still the inconsistent, often invisible (or injured) player that I knew he was when we first traded him in. Barely an upgrade on Murdoch.

He had me fooled for a month or two there.

After tonight, I'm wondering if I was wrong about being wrong about being wrong about Rohan.

It will be all Ratagolea posts next year. MARK MY WORDS!
I’m making a preparatory statement so I can be wrong about it:

Ratugolea will never make it as an AFL defender.

I gave Stanley a solid spray during the game and after rewatching he was better than I gave credit for - but he was still poor at times… really needs to lift next time out

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back