The Inevitable War - Keating goes bang

Remove this Banner Ad

They should probably stop referring to him as a former PM and use his more recent title - highly paid Chinese lobbyist.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
And how much of what you own is made in China?
All donations kindly received

I own products made in China but try to avoid them where possible, happily paying more to do so.

The issue is that China owns Keating and his actions reflect that.

So if anyone points out the US has 70 bases in the Pacific while China has but one
And that since WW11 China has had a couple of minor border spats, while the US has fully invaded more than one country and fully supported wars in several others, that means China owns them?

Once again PJK nails it - I’ve stopped reading most MSM and particularly The Age when I used to live for the Weekend and Sunday versions. The crap being thrown up these days is not journalism

but Keating is wrong........we will be drawn into war in Taiwan. The US's Taiwan Relations Act / Policy Act is designed to protect Taiwan. https://www.foreign.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SBS Taiwan Policy Act FINAL (1).pdf

The US has on two possibly three occasions, in the past, mobilised their military against China's invasion of Taiwan.

In the case a war was to break out, Australia will follow suit.

China had previously stated they would use force to unite Taiwan within 5 years and Chinese SOEs have said this has been brought forward to 2 years. Personally I don't believe it, rather it is China's threat of stretching the Western forces so they don't go all in against Russia. Nevertheless, this is China's words and these words are not only provocative but reckless.

Does the Age or others ignore this? There is an argument they should shut up as they have a responsibility given their influence but there is an argument we live in a land of free press. What is certain is "red alert" is sensational, rather a simple report "China has brought forward their intentions of war against Taiwan from 5 years to 2 years"......it is factual. Then the Age can then surmise if the statement is likely to be acted upon, the feasibility, the response, the cost etc.

but Keating is wrong........we will be drawn into war in Taiwan. The US's Taiwan Relations Act / Policy Act is designed to protect Taiwan. https://www.foreign.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SBS Taiwan Policy Act FINAL (1).pdf

The US has on two possibly three occasions, in the past, mobilised their military against China's invasion of Taiwan.

In the case a war was to break out, Australia will follow suit.

China had previously stated they would use force to unite Taiwan within 5 years and Chinese SOEs have said this has been brought forward to 2 years. Personally I don't believe it, rather it is China's threat of stretching the Western forces so they don't go all in against Russia. Nevertheless, this is China's words and these words are not only provocative but reckless.

Does the Age or others ignore this? There is an argument they should shut up as they have a responsibility given their influence but there is an argument we live in a land of free press. What is certain is "red alert" is sensational, rather a simple report "China has brought forward their intentions of war against Taiwan from 5 years to 2 years"......it is factual. Then the Age can then surmise if the statement is likely to be acted upon, the feasibility, the response, the cost etc.
Personally I cannot see us being drawn into a war with Taiwan or China - smacks of “children overboared” and fear mongering

Personally I cannot see us being drawn into a war with Taiwan or China - smacks of “children overboared” and fear mongering
I think that China's internal security is going to occupy just as much worry for Xi going forward as external security and empire building.

If the US insists on us going to war with our largest trading partner, it should stand to reason that we gain something from doing so to compensate for the lost trade. From a geopoliticial standpoint, it would be absolutely ******* rich of America to even attempt to chastise us should we choose to sit out of a war between China and America over Taiwan.

My view hasn't really changed from early in this thread; Xi would certainly have moved already if the US didn't exist, but he has to deal with them some if he wants to move on Taiwan. He's facing an opponent that has the largest military on the planet and outspends everyone else by almost a margin of two. Taiwan is also one of the most fortified places in the world, and have lived with China as an existential threat for decades; if it comes, they've had as much warning as they ever will.

I do not think we'll see war, at least an open invasion of Taiwan. I think China might consider blockading Taiwan economically, forcing the US to become the sole supplier of the peninsula and - thus - force them to expend resources to maintain their watch with an election coming up. Psyops from the Republican side of things - 'We shouldn't be paying for Taiwan, China won't attack if we withdraw', etc - then allow them to disseminate doubt amidst the American people as to where they stand.

China as a nation historically and culturally speaking don't like war and really like the moral high ground. The US has any number of lobbyists who love to throw fuel on the fire, and they'd be perfectly happy for Taiwan to become a market for their products.

I do not think we'll see war, at least an open invasion of Taiwan. I think China might consider blockading Taiwan economically, forcing the US to become the sole supplier of the peninsula and - thus - force them to expend resources to maintain their watch with an election coming up. Psyops from the Republican side of things - 'We shouldn't be paying for Taiwan, China won't attack if we withdraw', etc - then allow them to disseminate doubt amidst the American people as to where they stand.

This is a great political play, the money going into Taiwan could have some siphoned off and sent back to the DNC in the form of donations to fund their election campaigns.

So if anyone points out the US has 70 bases in the Pacific while China has but one
And that since WW11 China has had a couple of minor border spats, while the US has fully invaded more than one country and fully supported wars in several others, that means China owns them?
No the millions Xi has paid Keating and his one sided approach is what makes him a Chinese puppet.

Calling out US behaviour is good, ignoring Xis crimes at the same time is hypocritical.

Xi actually has at least 4 in the SCS all on land illegally occupied plus bases around the Africa and the Indian Ocean established through debt traps.

Absolutely insane warmongering in Fairfax papers this week.

I see no reason why we shouldn’t be neutral in China/US hostilities. Realistically, attitudes really shifted towards China after Covid, when Governments chose to scapegoat the country to make up for their own failures in response to the pandemic.

Powerful countries shouldn’t be able to use force to bully weaker countries or territories. Be it India in Kashmir, Russia in Ukraine, the US in Iraq, Saudi Arabia in Yemen, Israel in Palestine, or the hypothetical China in Taiwan. It’s abundantly clear that a world that disallows this from happening is what we should advocate for, rather than selectively choosing which move us to excessive militarism of our own.

No the millions Xi has paid Keating and his one sided approach is what makes him a Chinese puppet.

Calling out US behaviour is good, ignoring Xis crimes at the same time is hypocritical.

Xi actually has at least 4 in the SCS all on land illegally occupied plus bases around the Africa and the Indian Ocean established through debt traps.

What millions?
Provoking a war with China is utter madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least they're being more "subtle" about it this time, during election season with Scomo, they blatantly said China would cross the waters and land on our shores to go to war with us, which is very funny

Whether Xi in his old age would do a Putin and do something stupid is another matter (I doubt he gets to pull it off before he gets backstabbed by his own party), but conservatives drumming this s**t up for the yellow fever vote is absolutely laughable

At least they're being more "subtle" about it this time, during election season with Scomo, they blatantly said China would cross the waters and land on our shores to go to war with us, which is very funny

Whether Xi in his old age would do a Putin and do something stupid is another matter (I doubt he gets to pull it off before he gets backstabbed by his own party), but conservatives drumming this s**t up for the yellow fever vote is absolutely laughable

Xi has done a good job of populating the CCP with people loyal to him, and removing pretty much anyone who isn't, but China is a lot less wedding to authoritarianism than Russia is IMO, so the CCP would knife Xi if it came to an existential crisis of the party and sending China in to a war.

China plays the long game far better than Russia does, and it's paying off for them in spades these last few decades. They're not liked globally, but they're a vital piece of the global economy and with Russia rapidly falling down the ranks of global powers with every day the war drags on, China is now a clear #2 in the global order.

What millions?
Provoking a war with China is utter madness.
Being chairman of the advisory board to Xis China Development Bank would easily be millions and that is just one job.

Provoking a war is madness but that is what Xi is doing not India, Korea, Japan and the other countries telling him enough is enough

Being chairman of the advisory board to Xis China Development Bank would easily be millions and that is just one job.

Provoking a war is madness but that is what Xi is doing not India, Korea, Japan and the other countries telling him enough is enough

Keating is not doing it for money, he's trying to protect Australia and bring common sense to Australia's thinking.
China aren't going to start a war with anyone and they ever rarely have.
Any war would be an absolute disaster for Australia . They have too big a military. If America got involved here we are all effed.
It's xenophobia.

Keating is not doing it for money, he's trying to protect Australia and bring common sense to Australia's thinking.
China aren't going to start a war with anyone and they ever rarely have.
Any war would be an absolute disaster for Australia . They have too big a military. If America got involved here we are all effed.
It's xenophobia.
So are the fears from Japan, Korea, Philippines, India etc just xenophobia? Making out it is xenophobia is just CCP propaganda trying to delay responses while their build-up and salami tactics continue.

So are the fears from Japan, Korea, Philippines, India etc just xenophobia? Making out it is xenophobia is just CCP propaganda trying to delay responses while their build-up and salami tactics continue.

There is absolutely no indication that China is going to invade India, Japan or anywhere else. It's a giant beat up. It started here with Dutton trying to create fear to win votes.

There is absolutely no indication that China is going to invade India, Japan or anywhere else. It's a giant beat up. It started here with Dutton trying to create fear to win votes.
So the 40 murdered Indian soldiers on the LAC, the threats and incursions into Japanese and Taiwanese airspace, the attempted blinding of unarmed Philippines sailors, the theft of Bhutanese land etc are all figments of peoples imagination? The largest military build-up outside of WW2 that China started before Dutton spoke that Xi is so proud of is imaginary?

So the 40 murdered Indian soldiers on the LAC, the threats and incursions into Japanese and Taiwanese airspace, the attempted blinding of unarmed Philippines sailors, the theft of Bhutanese land etc are all figments of peoples imagination? The largest military build-up outside of WW2 that China started before Dutton spoke that Xi is so proud of is imaginary?

China is just doing what every major economic power in history has done which is spend a % of their GDP on military defence.
These small skirmishes don't mean we need to prepare for WW3. More people die in Palestine ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back