The Joker Movie starring Joaqin Pheonix October 2019 release

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen it yet, but intend to, especially after the comments above.

My view from reading the comments, reviews and trailers is that this character might be the tragic story that serves as inspiration for the "real joker" who this character meets in Arkham.

In my mind Joker is only insane in the sense of his commitment to the cause - a brilliant mind, military strategist, a charismatic leader of men, perhaps even a man of the highest ethical and moral standing - working for the military at elite level who ultimately lost faith in the 'traditional' structure of the world, perhaps triggered by a truly heinous crime against humanity (slaughter of innocent women and children for example) instigated and then covered up by his bosses/PR for the benefit of $$$ and snaps - unable to reconcile his experience with the world outside, he is sent to Arkham as a rambling lunatic. Upon meeting this character, and discovering the opinion of society has changed, he embraces the opportunity for all that chaos provides.

Joker should be the equal to Batman in all things other than physical size/power and his code of ethics. Batman still believes in the "system", Joker knows the truth.

Exactly, far more interesting if we had opportunities in life and you wonder why? Even Colonel Kurtz-like.

Haven't seen it but most reviews calling it kind of a rip off of the apparently superior movie Taxi Driver has made me download Taxi Driver.

Taxi Driver one of the great movies, in De Niro’s top three along with Godfather and Raging Bull.

This film is set in the 70's right? I know just the comic for them to adapt for a sequel:

siuumivpz8s31.jpg

Excellent and riveting performance by Joaquin Phoenix. I expected nothing less. I wouldn't necessarily rate this as his best performance in a film such is his history of great roles and performances. I'd say he is one of the top actors and interesting roles takers of our time and i'd encourage everyone to check out his good films and performances.
As for the film. I felt many influences or thought of a few films while watching it. Taxi Driver, Bronson, Drive and Nightcrawler (still can't believe the oscar snub for Jake Gyllenhaal!). I think when the style is this good and so eyecatching in terms of the presentation, the visuals and the soundtrack you know on second viewing you'll probably find greater depth and nuance in the direction and storyline.
There was a performance art component to Phoenix's performance which was appealing and acted as the foundation of his brilliant dramatic performance and not unlike Hardy in Bronson or Gylenhaal in Nightcrawler the physical appearance, movements and expressions all came together very well.
The film looked brilliant the director and cinematographer deserve a lot of credit. There are some beautiful shots and visuals in this film. The pacing maybe a little bit suspect but that was about it for me flaw wise.
I didn't know Todd Phillips directed War Dogs (which was okay) which I saw the other day so this is a big step up. Overall i'd give it 8/10

Saw it on the weekend.

Firstly, Bravo Joaqin.. Bravo..
Captivating performance and deserves to be spoken about in the highest regard, Oscar worthy.

The score was hauntingly beautiful.

The build was great, i almost felt how the anger was rising inside of Arthur.

A couple of really uncomfortable and brutal scenes.

Hated the ending inside Arkham.
Would have much preferred the film ending with him on top of the bonnet of the car and everyone chanting his name, pan out to Gotham burning.. fade to black.

9/10 for me though.
Loved it and would happily pay money to see it again.

I saw this movie a couple of nights ago, and thought it was BRILLIANT!

I will make a big statement now. IMO, Joaquin Phoenix's performance in "Joker" is the GREATEST acting performance I have ever seen.

Everything he did meant something. Every twitch, every movement, how he looked like he was in pain when he laughed. Nothing is left to chance. He would have been exhausted after this role, the amount it would have taken out of him. This performance has OSCAR written all over it, and I hope the Academy open their minds, and don't not reward it because they might see it as essentially a film based on a "cartoon or comic" character. The film is much more than that.

Phoenix's performance is better than Rami Malek's performance as Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody", in which he won an Oscar against a stronger field (Cooper and Bale also put in stellar performances that year). Well, Phoenix's performance is better than that, and it will probably be against a weaker field.

I liked the ending. I didn't like how he ran up and down the halls, with an intern chasing him, but I liked how it showed Thomas and Martha Wayne dead with young Bruce just standing there. Because, in all the chaos, in all the lack of hope the Joker has now thrust on Gotham, one of the clowns has inadvertently screwed over Arthur, by causing the incident which leads to the rise of Batman, the one man who can stop the Joker's reign of terror.

It was like, after all the darkness and anarchy, the killing of the Waynes offers hope, because of what it drives Bruce to become, and how he can restore Gotham to greatness again.

It shows not only the origins of the Joker, but, at the end, also of Batman as well.

An absolutely incredible experience!

I've never been into the superhero universe and don't watch superhero movies really at all. I loved Heath Ledger as an actor however and therefore had a brief foray into the universe when watching The Dark Knight.

I loved his portrayal of the Joker and liked the character in general so after finding the trailer, seeing this movie was a must for me.

When he's standing on the cop car at the end with everyone cheering around him, I genuinely felt the uprising. The moment he became the joker, what a powerful piece of film

Haha I did not notice this bit, where he gets taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm I think some trickery is at play here. This doesn’t happen in the final cut, someone must have got some alternative footage and made a gif from it. In the actual movie, he tries to say Murray’s usual “that’s life” sign off but then the transmission is severed before he can finish saying it.

Hmm I think some trickery is at play here. This doesn’t happen in the final cut, someone must have got some alternative footage and made a gif from it. In the actual movie, he tries to say Murray’s usual “that’s life” sign off but then the transmission is severed before he can finish saying it.

There’s actually two scenes of this.

The first is focused on the close up which we hear dialogue from Arthur, and the second is a scene showing multiple monitors, (broadcast room?) and there’s several screens channeling that specific camera.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first is focused on the close up which we hear dialogue from Arthur, and the second is a scene showing multiple monitors, (broadcast room?) and there’s several screens channeling that specific camera.

Ahh yes I know what you’re referring to. I’ll have to pay much closer attention to that next time, I must have been looking around at the other monitors.

Saw it again and noticed this in the multi camera view.

I enjoyed it much more the second time around. I had some preconceived ideas about it from the trailers so seeing it fresh and just enjoying it with an open mind was a lot better.

Picked up on some little things (like the above, Bruce swinging down the pole like the 60s batcave). Saw it with an audience that clearly hadn’t seen it before and there were some audiable gasps in some shots.

First time in a long time I’ve seen a round of applause at a Hoyts too.

Saw it last night.

Phoenix absolutely killed it and should get an Oscar nom at least. The last act was brilliant but I felt other parts of the story were weak at times, but still an 8/10 movie for me.

I will say that I preferred Ledger's Joker though, but I personally think that Ledger in The Dark Knight was one of the best acting performances of all time so it was a fairly high bar and no slight on Phoenix.

Saw it last night.

Phoenix absolutely killed it and should get an Oscar nom at least. The last act was brilliant but I felt other parts of the story were weak at times, but still an 8/10 movie for me.

I will say that I preferred Ledger's Joker though, but I personally think that Ledger in The Dark Knight was one of the best acting performances of all time so it was a fairly high bar and no slight on Phoenix.
It’s a tough one. Ledger is the most iconic Joker and he nailed his version of it, but while it was set in a toned down, realistic Gotham it was still very much the comic book character.

Phoenix’s performance is entirely realistic and is 95% pre-Joker. I actually think his performance was better but his version of the Joker isn’t really the Joker - I cant really visualise him squaring off with Batman. He’s just a very disturbed man. In that sense Ledger was the better Joker.

Will be interesting to see what the Academy does.

It's an interesting debate Ledger versus. Phoenix.

From what I interpreted watching the movie, I heard a slight subtle Ledger impression in a moment
after the events of shooting Murray
. It's entirely plausible for Phoenix's Joker to evolve completely to the comic book/animation character after having that bad day.

This was a high quality film and Phoenix does genuinely deserve all the plaudits. Fantastic performance from the laugh to the ticks to the movement. The various steps that pave the way for him becoming the Joker are also well played, usually surprising, coming out of nowhere until he slowly becomes comfortable with the change.

On the Phoenix bs Ledger debate, it’s interesting because they are so clearly different and distinct versions. Ledger’s has no backstory and this is all backstory.

The box office numbers are an overwhelming success too, all on a reported $55m-$70m budget. Quite possibly ends up the highest grossing R rated movie of all time.

The part where he was looking out the police car window really reminded me of Ledger hanging out of the cop car in TDK.

Maybe it was meant as a reference? Idk.
I think there were a few subtle nods. There was an ad for a film called ‘Ace in the Hole’ which is an expression Ledger’s Joker used to describe Dent and Phoenix says ‘do I look like the kind of clown that could start a movement’ which is reminiscent of ‘do I look like the kind of guy who has a plan’.

There will be a sequel - it’s nearly certain on these figures and rumours are already swirling. Will be interesting to see how they run it parallel with Pattinson’s new Batman.

Videos of Leto’s Joker are now getting absolutely ratioed on YouTube.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back