Resource The list your Ken Hinkley Era Stats Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Circle round 11 vs norf at blunnies arena folks.

Such an ignominious location for a special achievement.

Daddy donuts will reach 259 games coached and break Bill Stephen's long standing record set 44 years ago for the most games ever coached without making a grand final.

On the way he'll already go past Malcolm blight who managed 5 grannies and 2 flags.

Be great if we could spam the media folks with this stat in the lead up and get it on tv.

Such a great achievement. Ken Hinkley number 1 all time!

Daddy donuts will reach 259 games coached and break Bill Stephen's long standing record set 44 years ago for the most games ever coached without making a grand final.

On the way he'll already go past Malcolm blight who managed 5 grannies and 2 flags.

Be great if we could spam the media folks with this stat in the lead up and get it on tv.

There does feel to me to be a real justice to this.

A bloke like Bill Stephen should never be the one to have to hold such a terrible record. Dedicated his life to playing for and coaching a club that was always on struggle street, without the equalisation measures that exist today.

The least successful coach of all time title should belong to someone arrogant who has squandered every opportunity given to him.

There does feel to me to be a real justice to this.

A bloke like Bill Stephen should never be the one to have to hold such a terrible record. Dedicated his life to playing for and coaching a club that was always on struggle street, without the equalisation measures that exist today.

The least successful coach of all time title should belong to someone arrogant who has squandered every opportunity given to him.

We need to get tredders to present the stat to the Board 😂

Nothing could be more Ken than marking his record-breaking achievement with a soft kill win over Norf, given along with Gold Coast and St Kilda, they're one of the clubs who have made his H&A W/L record look way better than it actually is (30-3).

Actually, we'll probably lose.

I am just going to leave this two sets of data here: the AFL against Top-4 and against everyone else.

Ken Hinkley is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. (Nowehereto) Hyde

(Footy) Hinkley.jpg

Against teams who finish 5th or below, Port is along all Premiers: Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne, Footscray, Collingwood...

Against Top-4, Port is along Carlton, Freo, and Saints.

---

If we consider the entire tenure, it doesn't change much.

Last edited:
I am just going to leave this two sets of data here: the AFL against Top-4 and against everyone else.

View attachment 1968904

Against teams who finish 5th or below, Port is along all Premiers: Geelong, Richmond, Melbourne, Footscray, Collingwood...

---

A642B318-0094-4BD1-AAE7-8F13563E024C.jpeg

The Dees and Freo aside, the correlation of the top-4 record with this infamous Venn tracks.

View attachment 1968925

The Dees and Freo aside, the correlation of the top-4 record with this infamous Venn tracks.
So Carlton making the big dance would mean only 4 of 18 other clubs haven't made the GF in Hinkley's reign.

So much for stability.

We have a poor record against good sides at home, but when it comes to top 4 sides away, we just don't win those games. Personally I think Collingwood will end up top 4 by the end of the year and will add to these stats.

2023: (0-3 away against top 4) 2nd Brisbane, 5th Carlton and 1st Collingwood smacked us away last year. (71, 50, 48 points)
2022: (0-3 away against top 4) 1st Geelong, 2nd Melbourne, 4th Collingwood (35, 14, 6)
2021: (0-1 away against top 4) 4th Brisbane (49)
2020: (0-2) 2nd Brisbane, 4th Geelong (60, 37)

So we're going 0-9 in last 4 years, average losing margin of 41 points.

Against Collingwood we lost by 42, right in line with the average.

Reigning Premier Away Clashes
2015 - Hawks at Etihad - 22 point win.
2016 - didn't play away against reigning Premier
2017 - WB at Mars - 17 point win.
2018 - didn't play away
2019 - WCE at Optus - 42 point win
2020 - didn't play away
2021 - ditto
2022 - Melb at Traeger Park - 14 point loss
2023 - Geel at GMHBA - 12 point loss

View attachment 1968904

---

Wouldn't 2015-2023 be the most sensible timeframe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Carlton making the big dance would mean only 4 of 18 other clubs haven't made the GF in Hinkley's reign.

So much for stability.

Even now, just the fact we’re in league with:

• the only AFL club to cop a global sanction, and hasn’t won a final in 20 years;

• the club that copped unprecedented sanctions for salary cap breaches triggering a derailment that lasted for the better part of two decades;

• the smallest club in the league;

• the least successful club in the league boasting a quarter-century of wooden spoons;

• a new Queensland-based franchise situated in the black hole of Australian sport.

Deplorable.

Selecting data based on whether or not it supports your position is um

I’m not. It’s right there from the start. It doesn’t change much.

It does change a bit, though. Since from 2016 to 2023, there are EIGHT SEASONS, and the last EIGHT SEASONS to boot, this is not nitpicking.

Next time you do such an accusation, I would recommend to think a bit before it. I imagine you won’t want to look like a stupid SoB again.

I’m not. It’s right there from the start. It doesn’t change much.

It does change a bit, though. Since from 2016 to 2023, there are EIGHT SEASONS, and the last EIGHT SEASONS to boot, this is not nitpicking.

Next time you do such an accusation, I would recommend to think a bit before it. I imagine you won’t want to look like a stupid SoB again.
ron burgundy GIF

Lol I didn't say you were nitpicking - I'm saying that removing a season because we beat the top 4 teams in that season, when you're making a post about us not beating top 4 sides is not a very scientific approach

I generally use 2015 and onwards because its clear that's when everything changed in the box. I maintain that we were overall coached pretty well in 2013 & 2014 - whether that's due to Walsh, Richo, Burgess, or simply old Ken.

ron burgundy GIF

Lol I didn't say you were nitpicking - I'm saying that removing a season because we beat the top 4 teams in that season, when you're making a post about us not beating top 4 sides is not a very scientific approach

I generally use 2015 and onwards because its clear that's when everything changed in the box. I maintain that we were overall coached pretty well in 2013 & 2014 - whether that's due to Walsh, Richo, Burgess, or simply old Ken.

I think what we did from 2016 onwards was in response to the 2015 season, so I think it's a fair line to draw.

In 2015 we were just playing our 2014 gameplan but we entered the season as the premiership favourites so everyone had forensically studied what we were doing to counter it. The lower teams went harder at stacking tall loose defenders to counter the slingshot so they beat us, while the better teams backed themselves to beat us in a shootout and lost.

The negative, fear based gameplans we've had since are the Hinkley we know and hate.

Forget after the 20 minute mark, as a quarter can go 32 minutes and only a combined 4 goals have been kicked.

So much time is wasted these days that the old red zone after the 25 minute mark, when most quarters only went another 3 or 4 minutes, is a meaningless concept to draw the line at the 20 minute mark.

I have been saying for the last 4 or 5 years, that not only do we let thru too many goals in the last 2 minutes or 3 minutes of game time each quarter, we also allow the oppo the opportunity to have too many shots on goal during that time, which may not result in a goal. We do some really dumb s**t that isn't percentage footy and kills the ball and chance for the oppo to score.

The stats I'd like to see, is how many shots do sides concede in the last 3 minutes of game time per quarter and what do they let the oppo score in that time??

This is what Tredders was talking about after the Collingwood game. When the oppo have momentum, take time off the clock, by not trying slick stuff at centre bounces that results in turn overs. Take the tackle and kill some time. Play boring down the line footy. Kill their momentum, not accelerate it.

Last edited:
Ken Hinkley upcoming Milestones:

• On May 25th Vs North in Tassie, Ken officially becomes the all time record holder for the most games coached to have not reached a GF.
  • Whilst already being the all time record holder for most games at 1 club without a GF appearance.
  • Including coaches that have made a GF, Ken is the longest serving coach at a single club to have not won a premiership.
  • At the end of the minor round, Ken will have 11 games remaining to become equal 4th for most games coached all time, without a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back