The Luke Jackson trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Any Eagles fans saying they didn't or don't want him are lying or brain-dead.

He's started slowly and his numbers have been inflated by playing weak teams like Witts-less Gold Coast but he'll still be a very good player.
I wanted him

But not for what the Dockers gave up for him

Any Eagles fans saying they didn't or don't want him are lying or brain-dead.

He's started slowly and his numbers have been inflated by playing weak teams like Witts-less Gold Coast but he'll still be a very good player.
Bailey Williams is literally having a better year.

Would have cost us Ginbey who’s already shown he’ll be a better player.

I wouldn't go that far. Happy with BWilliams but 18 out of 18 clubs would prefer Jackson.

But I do agree that if the choice is Jackson or Ginbey, Hewitt and this year's first - well, it's not much of a choice.

I wouldn't go that far. Happy with BWilliams but 18 out of 18 clubs would prefer Jackson.

But I do agree that if the choice is Jackson or Ginbey, Hewitt and this year's first - well, it's not much of a choice.
Obviously I’d take Jackson as well, but they are a similar age and Williams is having a clear better season.

One was delist material so I don’t see why we’d give up all that for at this stage a similar player.

Definitely not what we need at the moment, would be a fit if it was at the end of our rebuild but definitely not at the start.
Love that freo sold the farm when everyone one knows its a key fwd they desperately needed and still do.
Maybe they can pick 1 up in the draft!
I don't mind some of freos current tall forwards.

Yes Taberner is old at 29 years old. But I know Amiss, Traecy and even Sam Sturt can be decent tall forwards

Wrong and wronger.i didn't want him at the ridiculous cost of picks that melbourne wanted.The kelly deal cost us draft capital and getting Jackson would have put us down the bottom for longer.We need as much young top end talent.For those who think the Jackson deal was worth it think about this.
When Chris Judd wanted to go to Carlton the Eagles got pick 3,pick 20 plus a Young Josh Kennedy. In return.Carlton got arguably the best player in the comp and a brownlow medalsit.The Eagles have learnt after the Kelly deal that they paid too much.As for Luke Jackson it is early but the dockers have over paid on his future potential.He will need to turnout to be as good as Judd or be part of a premiership team or two otherwise it will be a failure.The only team benefitting from the Jackson deal will be Melbourne.

With pick 3 you wouldn't have had to give up as much Freo did.

Williams has zero goals vs 6 goals and double the hit outs so I would say they are playing rather different roles.

I think Jackson is going well and if he can hold those marks instead of fumbling will have a good year.

I doubt you guys would have accepted a straight swap of simply pick 3, and besides Jackson nominated Freo iirc.

I think Melbourne would have taken pick 3 however, you're correct, Jackson wanted Freo, probably due to the massive salary they gave him

Ginbey is already better than Jackson, add on Hewett as well and its a no brainer.

Again I wouldn't go that far - bit embarrassing to say Ginbey is already better than a young ruck that helped them win a flag. Luke Jackson is a serious talent and has more runs on the board compared to a six gamer, not entirely his fault he has been gimped by Longmuir so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again I wouldn't go that far - bit embarrassing to say Ginbey is already better than a young ruck that helped them win a flag. Luke Jackson is a serious talent and has more runs on the board compared to a six gamer, not entirely his fault he has been gimped by Longmuir so far.
Jackson is nice at football but he doesn’t have a role at afl level, he’s much too small to be a ruck and not a forwards arsehole.

At absolute best he turns into Blicavs.

Jackson is nice at football but he doesn’t have a role at afl level, he’s much too small to be a ruck and not a forwards arsehole.

Given Blicavs' achievements that's not too shabby.

I do agree he has his limits when it comes to both ruck and forward craft but I would have happily given pick 2 last year for him (no more than that though) - a lot of young KPF and rucks fail because they cannot pair their physical advantage with actual AFL level skills but Jackson looks more likely than most to achieve at a high level. I think he's more likely than not to win an All Australian or three by the end of his career.

I didnt want him at all. We just dont need him, he's a ruck - we already have a fine young ruck and had a good understudy (meek).
to get jackson we had to give up Logue who was a cultural figure at the club, as well as our good picks. We also gave up acres, who's not a massive loss, but still handy. Lobb was going anyway.

I feel we've lost picks, salary space, a good player, and also hurt our culture losing Logue. Also, if Jakson doesnt work up forward, they'll have to play him ruck, which may push Darcy back home to Geelong.

I wouldve only wanted Jackson if he was a proven forward as that's what we need.

I hope it works, but i dont think it will. He's not a natural forward, has hard hands, and is simply a modern day athelete - doesnt really fill any of our gaps.

Last edited:
Ginbey is already better than Jackson, add on Hewett as well and its a no brainer.

No brainer is an accurate way to describe this post.

Too small? What the actual f***?

No role at AFL level?

This is just an absurdly stupid post.

I wanted Jackson at WC but they were never in the running given the rebuild and need to take high picks to the draft.

Lots of similarities with the Tim Kelly trade; both had outstanding years with a good club in their trade year, were going to be coming home to WA, and looked to take the world by storm in coming years. Both clubs where they ended up were in wide open contention windows and looking to add an extra piece to the puzzle. Also had asking/eventual prices that were astronomical due to all of the above.

Jackson theoretically won't hit his prime for another... 5 years? But he's already delivering at an AFL level and has an impact when he plays (took a few games to get started this year, but he's young). If the rest of Freo stops regressing and plays like in 2022, then Jackson will look a lot better.
People who are knocking Jackson and the trade are too biased toward the fact he was targeted to take Freo another step towards a premiership (hopefully as a forward) and it hasn't happened. Most of Freo's forwards are struggling given the current midfield issues and loss of guys like Mundy last year.

He's going to be a great player for the next decade, but it's up to the other players around him to lift because no 21yo ruck/forward is carrying a team on their back without help.

TLDR: his output is fantastic for a 21yo ruck/forward, the rest of the team need to deliver (except Walters and Serong, they've been shining lights in a poor start).

mate, getting way ahead of yourself. Jackson has turned a grand final and earnt himself a contract worth 900k. What has Ginbey done? 15 possessions against the kangaroos? Pump the brakes.
i could be rucking to Petracca and Oliver and “turned” that grand final. Most overrated performance of all time.

Ginbey is second for tackles in the comp right now as an 18 year old, what’s Jackson doing currently? Having a worst season as a KPF/2nd ruck than whipping boy Jake waterman? Seems worth that 900k.
This is such a bad take, like hilariously bad.
He loses a s**t ton of ruck contests and they’re only going to get bigger and more agile, some one like English/King brothers would’ve been inconceivable ten years ago. Imagine what Jackson will be facing when he actually hits his prime.
He was a good ruck last year when he wasn't injured, he was AA in 2017

He was BOG in a final in 2020, I could go on.
If you can’t notice the trend of afl players getting taller and more agile then I can’t help you.

Jackson will be an extremely undersized ruck by the time he’s in his prime and doesn’t have the leap to overcome it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back