Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Questions about ... ?

e.g. Why, despite all the support, counselling and advice that AFL players are given do they still put themselves at risk? Rucci is not just on about Port players he is referring to elite sportsmen in general. As Rucci points out AFL players get more support mechanisms then the average 20 year old. You and I have a degree of anonymity but these guys are targets for every dickhead that wants to make a name for himself and they need to appreciate that.

e.g. Why, despite all the support, counselling and advice that AFL players are given do they still put themselves at risk? Rucci is not just on about Port players he is referring to elite sportsmen in general. As Rucci points out AFL players get more support mechanisms then the average 20 year old. You and I have a degree of anonymity but these guys are targets for every dickhead that wants to make a name for himself and they need to appreciate that.

Probably because they're human? Immature as well, s**t I'm only 26 but the 18-21 period which now feels like a life time ago was a mixture of having fun and stupidity at times. I'd like to think I'm a sensible person, now married with 2 kids at 26 but even so you have a few drinks with mates and sometimes you wake up and think well I was a bit of an idiot there. It's hard to ask kids to give up having a bit of fun in that age bracket after over a decade of schooling. As long as you don't do anything illegal, hurt and/or vilify someone where it goes beyond the level of an apology and acknowledgement that you were a dick then it is what it is; being a dick when you're having a few drinks with mates. In the context of this happening as part of an AFL team and bringing the club into disrepute as they say, well that when getting pulled into line and learning and growth as a person occurs. It happens and people become better humans because of it. s**t, Martin was accused of trying to stab a woman with a chop stick and idiot Kevin Bartlett whose meant to be a legend of the club said to suspend him for the whole year, the whole bloody year and it turned out that the woman exaggerated everything and Martin has now gone on to have one of the best individual seasons in history ending in a premiership after the better part of 4 decades for Richmond. SPP will learn from this and he'll be better for it no doubt.

Probably because they're human? Immature as well, s**t I'm only 26 but the 18-21 period which now feels like a life time ago was a mixture of having fun and stupidity at times. I'd like to think I'm a sensible person, now married with 2 kids at 26 but even so you have a few drinks with mates and sometimes you wake up and think well I was a bit of an idiot there. It's hard ask kids to give up having a bit of fun in that age bracket after over a decade of schooling. As long as you don't do anything illegal, hurt and/or vilify someone beyond a level where an apology and acknowledgement that you were a dick is passed then it is what it is; being a dick when you're having a few drinks with mates. In the context of this happening as part of an AFL team and bring the club into disrepute as they say, well that when getting pulled into line and learning and growth as a person occurs. It happens and people become better humans because of it. s**t Martin was accused of trying to stab a woman with a chop stick and idiot Kevin Bartlett whose meant to be a legend of the club said to suspend him for the whole year, the whole bloody year and it turned out the the woman exaggerated everything and Martin has now gone on to have one of the best individual season in history ending in a premiership after the better part of 4 decades for Richmond. SPP will learn from this and he'll be better for it no doubt.

It has nothing to do with 'being human' it is all about not making yourself a target. I have put an opinion in other posts and I am not going through it again. Bad things happen when idiots see footballers out and about late at night. You mentioned Dustin Martin so let me put the name Robbie West into the pot. Robbie's situation proves tragedy only needs one idiot looking to make a name for himself and it also shows why this is not a trial and error exercise. The fact is Sam was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be under rules imposed by the players themselves for good reasons.

It has nothing to do with 'being human' it is all about not making yourself a target. I have put an opinion in other posts and I am not going through it again. Bad things happen when idiots see footballers out and about late at night. You mentioned Dustin Martin so let me put the name Robbie West into the pot. Robbie's situation proves tragedy only needs one idiot looking to make a name for himself and it also shows why this is not a trial and error exercise. The fact is Sam was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be under rules imposed by the players themselves for good reasons.

I do also agree with this, absolutely anyone famous become targets for the general public and it's something that needs to be made clear and new draftees/young players need to be educated on as these days with social media and everyone having phones it's so hard to get away with even minor things. However the point still stands that these are often barely 21-22 year old, there are hundreds of them, law of averages suggests there will be a few incidents, but you have to be smart enough to not put yourself at greater risk I absolutely agree with this. It's like the moment that women shouldn't have to feel unsafe to walk through parks or public area at night therefore shouldn't have to take precautions, it's up to society to get better. Yes that is true but logic suggest that no matter how much we work to improve the situation you don't put yourself at risk just to prove a point, you still have to be smart and not put yourself at greater risk than you need to by ignoring basic techniques to keep yourself safe. Unfortunately it's the world we live in.

Probably because they're human? Immature as well, s**t I'm only 26 but the 18-21 period which now feels like a life time ago was a mixture of having fun and stupidity at times. I'd like to think I'm a sensible person, now married with 2 kids at 26 but even so you have a few drinks with mates and sometimes you wake up and think well I was a bit of an idiot there. It's hard to ask kids to give up having a bit of fun in that age bracket after over a decade of schooling. As long as you don't do anything illegal, hurt and/or vilify someone where it goes beyond the level of an apology and acknowledgement that you were a dick then it is what it is; being a dick when you're having a few drinks with mates. In the context of this happening as part of an AFL team and bringing the club into disrepute as they say, well that when getting pulled into line and learning and growth as a person occurs. It happens and people become better humans because of it. s**t, Martin was accused of trying to stab a woman with a chop stick and idiot Kevin Bartlett whose meant to be a legend of the club said to suspend him for the whole year, the whole bloody year and it turned out that the woman exaggerated everything and Martin has now gone on to have one of the best individual seasons in history ending in a premiership after the better part of 4 decades for Richmond. SPP will learn from this and he'll be better for it no doubt.
It’s not popular with the ‘let 16 year olds vote’ crowd, but science these days has brain development, in particular the parts to do with rationale thinking, finish at around 25. It doesn’t excuse inappropriate actions (in general, not saying they did or did not occur here), but it explains why you see a lot more of them amongst late teens / early 20’s. Most (have their brain) grow out of it. Some need more guidance and support in the interim. Whether he did or did not act inappropriately towards this woman, Sam’s marked himself as one of those who needs the extra support until he’s fully matured.

It’s not popular with the ‘let 16 year olds vote’ crowd, but science these days has brain development, in particular the parts to do with rationale thinking, finish at around 25. It doesn’t excuse inappropriate actions (in general, not saying they did or did not occur here), but it explains why you see a lot more of them amongst late teens / early 20’s. Most (have their brain) grow out of it. Some need more guidance and support in the interim. Whether he did or did not act inappropriately towards this woman, Sam’s marked himself as one of those who needs the extra support until he’s fully matured.

Yep exactly. I hate arrogant, full-of-themselves blokes who act like complete dicks as much as the next person and think making young women feel unsafe and degraded is completely unacceptable as I have two daughters now myself so I'd hate for anything to happen to them and would hope they stay safe. However sometimes you act like a ********, especially under the influence and have to own up, apologise and endeavour to make amends. It doesn't make what happened any better or undo what happened or even mean the person forgives you or the public don't lose some respect for you and in the instance the club lose a bit of trust in you, but it's the best thing to do and will go a long way to re-building everything that gets broken from these stupid incidents. That or blame everyone else and completely destroy an undestroyable legacy you have built like what happened with Essendon and Hird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will post this here as well as in the SPP thread.

This from this morning's Monopoly Times...

The final damaging layer of this tale involves the tainted reputation of Powell Pepper, a developing man from a tough background.
This story will fade from the headlines but not, as Thomas notes, from the Google search engine. Powell- Pepper's hopes of a post AFL career could be compromised.
This is a life sentence no second year player deserves.

Nicely written Richard Earle. Good to see some sections of the media addressing the real issue.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.52.29 am.png
screens.filmwinner.1.jpeg

Another positive article from Greg Venom Denham. What has happened??

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k/news-story/cd97c6a1f11b315a40ea088c5e24f49e
Port Adelaide put a horrific three weeks behind them to climb back into the top eight with a confidence-boosting 33-point win over North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Saturday. And they should be even more balanced for this Saturday’s clash with West Coast in Perth following coach Ken Hinkley’s revelation that All-Australian ruckman Paddy Ryder will resume. After being the only unbeaten club in the competition after three rounds, Port went from premiership fancies to outsiders after consecutive losses to Essendon and Geelong. They dropped from first to ninth with a form slump that coincided with a 17-day AFL probe into an off-field incident involving Sam Powell-Pepper, who was banned from playing at the elite level for three rounds.

In addition, teenager Todd Marshall was granted indefinite leave to return to NSW following the death of his father Robert. And to top off a horrid period, defender Hamish Hartlett broke down at training last week when he ruptured his right anterior cruciate ligament and will miss the rest of the season. “It was as tough a week as you get in a footy club,” Hinkley said.

Port have been pinch-hitting in the ruck since Ryder damaged an achilles in the opening round. Key forward Charlie Dixon will be the main benefactor with Ryder’s return, as he can return to his normal spot after sharing a lot of the ruck duties over the past five weeks. In Ryder’s absence, Dixon and other key position players Dougal Howard and Justin Westhoff have shared the load. Hinkley was emphatic about the immediate return of last year’s best-and-fairest winner. “He’s coming in. All-Australian ruckman ... I’m not going to waste too much time,” Hinkley said.“It’s important to get him back out there playing. We’ve seen what Nic Naitanui has been able to do (for West Coast) and Paddy is similar for us. He gives us an enormous amount of drive, not just in the ruck but around the ground.”........
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...k/news-story/cd97c6a1f11b315a40ea088c5e24f49e

Must have sent him a vat of red wine.
Just realised, maybe he is getting a freebie to Shanghai. If he covers the game, I will know the proper answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back