Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rachele is a first rounder and Butler a late first and early second rounder vs Motlop is a mid second round to early third round.

If Motlop slides to the thrid round, we can get him for basically for free and possibly trade for future picks.

In the end, Butler and Rachele are better at the moment but it cost good picks.
Yes, We could take Rachele with one of our first two, in which case I would only consider Motlop after 40.

We then have pick 19, which I would not be prepared to use on Motlop, but if we have not selected Rachele would consider for Butler. It could be possible to trade down 19.

With our compromised 2022 draft hand I wouldn't use future picks for Motlop.

It's a bit of a juggling act, but I think making a place in the 22 something that needs to be earnt is what needs to happen next year year.
That Geelong's attitude.

Mick Malthouse at Collingwood play some youth at different times as he believed that it taught a young player more in a single game than half a season at a lower level.

Grant Thomas made the point that if two players were borderline, then go for the younger player.

It's all about context. Too much in now robs future development and too much in the future destroys club culture.

The Cats in my view should have done more load management and give some of the youth more games and at the same time give some of the older players a rest. They kept on playing the best 22 each week but they run of stream in the Finals.

Yes, We could take Rachele with one of our first two, in which case I would only consider Motlop after 40.

We then have pick 19, which I would not be prepared to use on Motlop, but if we have not selected Rachele would consider for Butler. It could be possible to trade down 19.

I wouldn't consider Motlop at all with our first three picks.

If Motlop goes past pick 40, then we are not using any future picks.

Playing every 18 year old is dumb.

Playing top quality 18 year olds should be the priority over borderline 26 year olds.

Say we get Erasmus, I want in the team ahead of Colyer.

If we get Amiss or Van Rooyen, then I wouldn't select them ahead of Taberner or Lobb because they are not borderline players.

While Walker and Clark are not 18 years olds they are young, I want them to be selected over a Hughes or Acres or a Wilson.
Colyer was o.k last year and a top 10 B&F . I think you are being a bit hard on him.

Playing every 18 year old is dumb.

Playing top quality 18 year olds should be the priority over borderline 26 year olds.

Say we get Erasmus, I want in the team ahead of Colyer.

If we get Amiss or Van Rooyen, then I wouldn't select them ahead of Taberner or Lobb because they are not borderline players.

While Walker and Clark are not 18 years olds they are young, I want them to be selected over a Hughes or Acres or a Wilson.

I have no doubt this will be the transition over the next year or so if the new recruits prove themselves.

What are the chances Rachelle drops to our 19? I guess if he did, we'd keep the pick and use it on him.

That Geelong's attitude.

Mick Malthouse at Collingwood play some youth at different times as he believed that it taught a young player more in a single game than half a season at a lower level.

Grant Thomas made the point that if two players were borderline, then go for the younger player.

It's all about context. Too much in now robs future development and too much in the future destroys club culture.

The Cats in my view should have done more load management and give some of the youth more games and at the same time give some of the older players a rest. They kept on playing the best 22 each week but they run of stream in the Finals.
Geez that sounds super familiar

Colyer was o.k last year and a top 10 B&F . I think you are being a bit hard on him.
Wasn't a fan of Colyer, but last year he was very good.

Colyer is 30 next year and I don't see us in the window.

The original point that I was agreeing with was that to win the gf or complete in it you need enough players who has played 100 games.

In 4 years, Erusmas could have played 50-80 games and playing Colyer robs him of experience.

Switta and Schultz are 24 and 25 next year and are more in the right age group to challenge in 4 years than Colyer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you rather the Cat's method or Malthouse's method?
Is that comparison between 2 coaches each with teams in contention? During his WC days when they were in premiership mode was Malthouse blooding new players?

Genuine question, but if that is the comparison you are making best to have similar factors in play.

No I meant it was the Lyon method with us
Lyon had his best 22 model.
Is that comparison between 2 coaches each with teams in contention? During his WC days when they were in premiership mode was Malthouse blooding new players?

Genuine question, but if that is the comparison you are making best to have similar factors in play.
I don’t think Malthouse did blood new players at West Coast but he did at Collingwood.

Did Malthouse change or was it a different context?

The west has published the WA Combine results.

Anyone able to post here?
WA Football Commission State talent manager Adam Jones hopeful 10-15 West Aussies will have their name called out across next month’s national and rookie drafts, including as many as six first-rounders.

Speaking at the WA draft combine, where 21 of the 27 players invited tested, Jones was happy with the depth among this year’s crop.

He’s expecting between three and six first-round selections, two of whom didn’t test because of injury but declared themselves good to go for day one of AFL pre-season.

Industry sources are suggesting around 55-60 players will go in the national draft Australia-wide.

“We’ve got a fantastic group this year with a great amount of depth and hopefully the draft number is a bit higher than what we’re hearing,” Jones said.

“The number that we’re hearing for the national draft is around 55-60 and I’m hopeful that we’ll have 10-15.

“We’re going to have players throughout the entire draft and I think around 3-6 potential first-rounders, depending on what clubs have got.

“We should have a really good contingent from WA this year and I feel like it’s an even group.”

It appears a three-horse race to be the first WA player drafted with Subiaco premiership colts pair Matt Johnson, Neil Erasmus and East Perth sharpshooter Jye Amiss leading the way.

Erasmus missed the latter part of the season with a quad injury, while Amiss sustained a PCL injury during the AFL grand final curtain-raiser between WA’s under-19s and South Australia, with neither top-10 fancy testing.

But both are upbeat about their chances of getting a full AFL pre-season under their belt.

“I’m really happy with how the quad is going and I’ll definitely be ready to go by the first day of pre-season I reckon,” Erasmus said.

“Yeah definitely, I start rehab on Friday in the pool and that sort of thing, so that’s the main focus now,” Amiss said.

Jones was excited about the amount of talls this side of the Nullarbor with Amiss, Claremont swingman Jacob van Rooyen, East Fremantle utility Jack Williams and Swan Districts defender Rhett Bazzo expected to feature at the pointy end.

Peel Thunder’s Luke Polson and Shark Josh Cripps are among the potential bargain key-position players, while Claremont’s Eric Benning is tipped to go to Fremantle as part of their Next Generation Academy.

The 199cm Cripps, who’s hoping to follow his older brother Patrick’s footsteps into the AFL, was one of a trio of East Fremantle players who blitzed the combine testing, posting an impressive agility time of 8.3 seconds.

Sharks colts captain Taj Woewodin, the son of Brownlow medallist Shane who’s eligible to go to Melbourne as a father-son pick, had two sub three-second times in the 20m sprint of 2.898 and 2.906.

Running machine Corey Warner, the younger brother of Sydney Swan Chad, topped the 2km time trial with a blistering effort of 6.20, 10 seconds ahead of Claremont and Wesley College speedster Arthur Jones (6.30).

Polson and 24-year-old West Perth defender Noah Pegoraro, the only mature-age prospect invited to the combine, recorded 20m sprint times of 2.9 and 2.926 seconds respectively.

Swan Districts defender Bryce Watson topped the agility testing with 8.006 seconds, ahead of Johnson (8.061) and South Fremantle ace Jesse Motlop (8.063).

East Fremantle’s Jack Clarke medallist Josh Browne (quad), East Perth forward Ethan Regan (hip), Bazzo (illness) and Subiaco’s flag-winning colts ruckman Jake South (knee) didn’t test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back