Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree Cogs needs a fresh start but not at the expense of losing cerra. I would like Freo to think about it ONLY if Cerra leaves. But, Cerra’s gonna sign. Cerra’s gonna sign. He’s waited till seasons end before. It’s all good.

At least that’s what I keep telling myself…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’re in the goldilocks zone of irrelevance to the AFL atm. Bad enough that we don’t warrant an automatic Friday night game every season but not so terrible that we’re gifted them to try and raise our profile.
The AFL's probably thinking us playing Friday games would use up slots we could be playing Sunday arvo games. (Also if I was going by history I'd prefer no Friday games, we've got a shocking record).

Meh. I've said it before and I will say it again. I couldn't care less about Friday night football. If we didn't get one ever again I would be happy. Leave that s**t to the Vics.

Meh. I've said it before and I will say it again. I couldn't care less about Friday night football. If we didn't get one ever again I would be happy. Leave that sh*t to the Vics.

You mightn't care less but from a marketing perspective it's a big problem. Sponsors want their brand on the Friday night standalone free to air slots. We can't go to sponsors and promise them that, every other bloody club can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thurs/Fri games are also always FTA which opens up a much larger audience. Whether you like those games or not personally, the upside for sponsors, marketing and outreach to new fans, not to mention our players who probably want to play in blockbuster games is bigger. It's important to have marquee games from many angles and a total farce that we've been ignored for 5 years while fellow bottom 8 sides in that time have filled their boots.

The system is supposed to work that they put the highest rating teams on prime spots and then the rest of the sides are given distributions from the AFL to make up for it, but given the commercial impact clubs with lots of exposure get and the clubs without it suffer - particularly in attendances and memberships, it doesn't actually work out that the AFL equalizes that.

A club can succeed in spite of circumstances in some aspect of the commercial side of footy and the AFL will consider that offsetting the disadvantages they have imposed on that club.

We removed ourselves as an option though in that case. If Coniglio announces plans to return to WA, Eagles won't be pulling out of the race.
Didn't the hierarchy at the weags guarantee the playing group they're not throwing their hat in the ring for a big fish this season ?

Ok the AFL are actually trolling out club now.
This is diabolical. Gold ******* Coast on Thursday night.
When will our club leaders grow some balls and call the AFL out publicly on this?

AFL Round 16 fixture latest: Gold Coast set to face Richmond in Thursday night clash

Gold Coast looks set to take on Richmond next Thursday night as the AFL continues to work through its fixture for Round 16. See the latest.
Jon Ralph
2 min read
June 24, 2021 -

Gold Coast is likely to be handed a shock Thursday night fixture next week as the league attempts to find a game for the popular timeslot despite limited options.

The league is still working through many aspects of Round 16, which is certain to see the Sydney-West Coast game transferred from the SCG to Melbourne.

News Corp can reveal the Gold Coast home game at Metricon is the most popular of two Thursday night options – Gold Coast v Richmond, and Collingwood v St Kilda.

Stream selected Fox Footy shows on Kayo Freebies completely free this June including AFL 360, On The Couch, Bounce & more. No Credit Card. No Brainer. Register Free Now >

The Suns-Tigers clash is the highly likely Thursday night game because it has at least one finals contender, with Collingwood-St Kilda the likely Sunday 3.20pm clash.

Six teams play on Sunday of Round 15, which rules them out for the following Thursday night because it would require them to play off a four-day break.

And Geelong is set to host Essendon in a prime time Friday night clash at GMHBA Stadium in front of an 85 per cent capacity under revised rules.

Gold Coast and Richmond look set to clash on a Thursday night in Round 16. Picture: Jono Searle/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Gold Coast and Richmond look set to clash on a Thursday night in Round 16. Picture: Jono Searle/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
It is understood Sydney will be offered a final say on where in Victoria they play their clash against West Coast.

But with the MCG and Marvel Stadium likely to both be hosting games on Saturday and Sunday, there is a real prospect that game could be at GMHBA Stadium.

Sydney has won three of its past four games at GMHBA Stadium – a phenomenal achievement given the difficulty in beating Geelong there.

Meanwhile West Coast has a diabolical record at the old Kardinia Park, not getting within 39 points of the Cats in their past seven encounters and losing to Chris Scott’s side by 97 points there in Round 6.

Round 16 will also feature a perfect 400-game celebration for Shaun Burgoyne if he remains uninjured this week, with his Hawks playing his former side Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium.

GWS and Sydney have been told they will definitely remain in Melbourne for the next fortnight, but they are unsure whether that period will stretch to a month.

Brodie Grundy’s Pies will take on the Saints next week. Picture: AAP Image/Mark Dadswell
Brodie Grundy’s Pies will take on the Saints next week. Picture: AAP Image/Mark Dadswell
There is real concern in AFL House about the rising coronavirus numbers in the Sydney cluster, which could see both sides staying out of the state for the foreseeable future.

But GWS head of football Jason McCartney said the fact so many players and staff from the club were born in Victoria meant it was vastly different to last year’s hubs.

“We are really embracing it. We have two weeks in a row at the MCG, which has only really been afforded to us when we played the prelim final and the Grand Final in 2019.

“At this stage our only focus is on this bloc of games. Players have seen reports around (the NSW) cluster but this our plan (to stay for two weeks) and we are monitoring the situation.

More Coverage

Shock move could gift Suns-Tigers prime-time slot VFL players brutal sledge of Gold Coast flops Will Hogan get another career lifeline?
“It’s completely different (to last year’s hub) and I think every club would be scarred to some degree from that experience but it was about the restrictive nature of the protocols, the fact we were dealing with soft cap cuts.

“Here we have no restrictions, the boys are free to come and go and 65-70 per cent of the boys are Victorian, so it almost has a homely feel to it.”

What the actual F word
AFL are taking the piss

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m actually furious. It appears that Travis Auld and the AFL is systematically and deliberately discriminating against a single club.
The indifference shown to this by the club and many fans is even more depressing to be honest.
There is literally not a single other club in the league that would accept this for one season, let alone 5.
It’s almost like Stockholm syndrome
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

I’m actually furious. It appears that Travis Auld and the AFL is systematically and deliberately discriminating against a single club.
The indifference shown to this by the club and many fans is even more depressing to be honest.
There is literally not a single other club in the league that would accept this for one season, let alone 5.
It’s almost like Stockholm syndrome
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
its seriously messed up, how can this happen i'm baffed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back