Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd put money on Eddie being neither a folder nor a scruncher. He'd use one square of very white TP for each visit.

Eddie going = I like Collingwood more

"From the moment I became the president of the Collingwood Football Club on my 34th birthday back in 1998, my sole motivation was to heal, unite, inspire and drive a new social conscience, not just into this club, but sport and the community in general."

If that's the case, he should have resigned years ago, given what was still going on in 2013 (and very probably beyond)

This screams of the AFL stepping in to me, they really really want this to end and go away before other clubs start getting dragged into it and their entire facade of happy family to the public falls down and the reality of the very old minded boys club of the AFL is exposed.

So don't expect any AFL penalties to head towards the Pies, they will consider it done and resolved.

Eddie still doesn't get it. His "King Kong" remarks weren't a 'gaffe' to be laughed off. They were plain disgraceful.

Using the word 'proud' (as in the release of a report on systemic entrenched racism at Collingwood being a proud day for the club) as an attempt to spin his way out of trouble was pathetic and reprehensible. Don't give us spin. Spin is an insult.

A sincerely-felt apology would have been something, but then again, I suspect that in his heart of hearts he doesn't see it as necessary.

This applies all of the AFL landscape.

I read an article that was basically "watch out, Rayner dominates in intraclub with all the best other mids not playing, whoa, look out!"
Rayner is looking like a pretty dud pick at this stage when you look at who else they could have taken. Could be a slow build but looks nothing more than competent at the moment.
Cerra is in another league for class. Andy for workrate/contested ball etc. Hunter Clark, Naughton. Even LDU has shown a bit.

Rayner is looking like a pretty dud pick at this stage when you look at who else they could have taken. Could be a slow build but looks nothing more than competent at the moment.
Cerra is in another league for class. Andy for workrate/contested ball etc. Hunter Clark, Naughton. Even LDU has shown a bit.
I find that draft a bit of an eye opener. Just seems lacking in certainty despite the amount of research and resources that goes into prospects, and I guess at the high end of the draft I expect things to be far less of a gamble.

I find that draft a bit of an eye opener. Just seems lacking in certainty despite the amount of research and resources that goes into prospects, and I guess at the high end of the draft I expect things to be far less of a gamble.
Sitting here today I’ve still no idea who will be considered the best player from that draft when all are retired.

Any number of players could be, including Rayner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think if you compare Rayner to what Serong put up in his first year or Rowell or the other kid from GC, Rowells mate.
Rayner doesn't look in the same league and thats what you want from a pick 1. That level of good.

And he is in a good team so it’s not like he’s experiencing regular beltings or even expected to do too much. Maybe that’s part of the problem? Maybe he needs to be in a position where more is expected..

We need Cerra and Brayshaw to step up again this season. Both are looking likely to improve again. The next 50 games will be very interesting and hopefully exciting to watch. At the same time, I can only hope that sturt, Serrong, Young and Henry are 50 game players by that time.

Ditto for Sam Walsh
Nah Walsh has shown a lot more than Rayner, Walsh looks every bit worth a number 1 pick. Will play 300 games of very good to elite football. If Walsh is a poor pick 1 then Andy is a poor pick 2

I think Walsh and Rayner are the exact opposite #1 draft pick.

Carlton picked Walsh because he would have immediate impact, I don't think his ceiling is that high and I think the deficits to his game in his ball use will mean his initial shine of getting lots of touches will fall away.

Rayner wasn't going to impact immediately but if he can get to the point of impacting games from start to finish with his power and creativity then he could be a star.

One team needed immediate return on their investment because their fans are getting tired and the other was being added to a group taking a longer term view.

I expect Cerra to be the best player of that draft. Carlton might even play Walsh on Cerra when we match up on them for years to come, with Longmuir letting Cerra hunt the ball knowing Walsh will give it back to our half back line and Cerra's possessions are worth twice as much impact.

I think Walsh and Rayner are the exact opposite #1 draft pick.

Carlton picked Walsh because he would have immediate impact, I don't think his ceiling is that high and I think the deficits to his game in his ball use will mean his initial shine of getting lots of touches will fall away.

Rayner wasn't going to impact immediately but if he can get to the point of impacting games from start to finish with his power and creativity then he could be a star.

One team needed immediate return on their investment because their fans are getting tired and the other was being added to a group taking a longer term view.

I expect Cerra to be the best player of that draft. Carlton might even play Walsh on Cerra when we match up on them for years to come, with Longmuir letting Cerra hunt the ball knowing Walsh will give it back to our half back line and Cerra's possessions are worth twice as much impact.
Disagree on Walsh's ceiling but agree that Cerra will be the best from this draft. We should be moving heaven and earth to keep him, which I think they're doing.

Rayner has often been compared to Dustin Martin. Martin was also considered a slow build. We all remember those shots of him huffing and puffing hands on hips half way through second quarters early in his career.

If we compare them at the same age though (full length games):
1612924982342.png

His 2020 numbers even putting a bit on top for shorter quarters aren't much better. Rayner has a long way to go to even make it to B grade status.

If he'd been taken pick 20 instead of 1 he'd closer to being considered a delist prospect as opposed to an elite player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back