The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SM do you use a cleanup program for your Mac? I've got a 4 year old iMac and 5 year old MacBook pro, starting to slow down a bit.

I haven't had to yet, but I store most of my files on an external harddrive so not sure if that helps.

Finished the last two episodes of The Last Dance last night. Fantastic stuff. Loved how they focused so much on that closing minute of game 6 1998, I remember it so well.

The footage of Jordan playing the piano as they celebrated that night was legendary.

Haha a confession to make is I had it in my head they only won 5 titles, and my knowledge of that era is clearly very weak, so I had it in my head that they lost that game. So it was a bit fun to watch it not knowing what was going to happen. :D

Jacinda Ardern has seen off ex-Nationals leader Simon Bridges who has today been ousted after record high/low approval ratings came out yesterday.

No NZ PM had ever had an approval rating above 57% before yesterday, Ardern hit 76%. National had never been under 30% in the two-party preferred and hit 29% yesterday.

New leader of National Todd Muller gives them a fighting but unlikely chance come September's election. As a 50+ year old male he may just speak to what is the vocal minority over here who thinks Ardern is out of her depth and leading the country into economic ruin. If Muller is more than $5 odds to be next NZ Prime Minister he might be worth the outsiders little bet!

Jacinda Ardern has seen off ex-Nationals leader Simon Bridges who has today been ousted after record high/low approval ratings came out yesterday.

No NZ PM had ever had an approval rating above 57% before yesterday, Ardern hit 76%. National had never been under 30% in the two-party preferred and hit 29% yesterday.

New leader of National Todd Muller gives them a fighting but unlikely chance come September's election. As a 50+ year old male he may just speak to what is the vocal minority over here who thinks Ardern is out of her depth and leading the country into economic ruin. If Muller is more than $5 odds to be next NZ Prime Minister he might be worth the outsiders little bet!

If they're a minority how would they have an influence on him becoming PM?

76% approval is incredible, but that must just be the weak snowflake lefties.

Nationals are the 2nd major party here, they're the Liberal-National coalition.

I gathered. You're saying there's a vocal minority that don't like her that might vote this guy in, but how could they do that if they're a minority and she has approval in the 70s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you being like this deliberately?

If the Kiwi economy tanks then people who had previously been supportive or Ardern will vote her out.

No s**t, I think you've missed the entire point of my question to Jd.

Her approval rating is the highest any NZ leader has ever had, and only a vocal minority don't like her, why would, as Jd suggests, a vocal minority be able to vote her out? Answer is they wouldn't. Jd's entire point was the new Nationals leader "speaks to a vocal minority".

No s**t if public opinion swings and suddenly more people want her out then she will be voted out, that's how democracy works Bojan.

No s**t, I think you've missed the entire point of my question to Jd.

Her approval rating is the highest any NZ leader has ever had, and only a vocal minority don't like her, why would, as Jd suggests, a vocal minority be able to vote her out? Answer is they wouldn't. Jd's entire point was the new Nationals leader "speaks to a vocal minority".

No s**t if public opinion swings and suddenly more people want her out then she will be voted out, that's how democracy works Bojan.
This was all clearly implied by JD but you had to reply like this eh. Cheers.

This was all clearly implied by JD but you had to reply like this eh. Cheers.

No it wasn't implied, his suggestion was the new leader would mobilise the vocal minority. If it's only a vocal minority who think she's mishandling the economy what on earth would change the minds of the majority?

If Jd meant something else perhaps he should have said it.

No it wasn't implied, his suggestion was the new leader would mobilise the vocal minority. If it's only a vocal minority who think she's mishandling the economy what on earth would change the minds of the majority?

If Jd meant something else perhaps he should have said it.
He talked about Ardern leading the country into financial ruin.

You are not stupid.

I gathered. You're saying there's a vocal minority that don't like her that might vote this guy in, but how could they do that if they're a minority and she has approval in the 70s?
Sorry I should clear up the vocal minority over here tend to be those with the loudest voices and the platforms to spread the message. Radio and tv hosts. Male and 50 plus.

Until now they didn't have an opposition leader that they believed in so just threw cheap shots at her. I don't know enough about Muller but he fits their demographic

Given NZ has almost eradicated the virus and is far further ahead in terms of being able to safely re-open, what part is Ardern playing in the negative route of the economy?
They believe her latest budget has no plan and is just throwing money at things.

I'm not buying into that. They've got a fluid plan in place, not committing to big spending until they're more certain they know what the new world looks like.

I don't particularly have an opinion of how she's handled it to date. Haven't been here long enough. I'm of the opinion going into it lock it down early and take the short term pain to the economy would be the best outcome for NZ, but I haven't had to live through or see the instant ramifications of level 4 to make a definitive statement on if I think that was right or not for the economy. But for the health and safety of her people it's a 10/10

Last edited:
He talked about Ardern leading the country into financial ruin.

You are not stupid.
No but this conversation is.
Both of you missed my points here which is my fault

Vocal minority who thinks she is ruining the economy = NZ Herald and the leading 2 talk back radio hosts.

Whilst they're the minority right now, they've got a massive platform which they've been using but without a standout opposition leader. This new guy may just be "their guy", he fits the stereotype of the group.

Both of you missed my points here which is my fault

Vocal minority who thinks she is ruining the economy = NZ Herald and the leading 2 talk back radio hosts.

Whilst they're the minority right now, they've got a massive platform which they've been using but without a standout opposition leader. This new guy may just be "their guy", he fits the stereotype of the group.

No I got it, which is why I said to Bojan obviously if the economy goes to s**t it won't be a minority anymore it'll be a majority and she'll be out. It's not rocket science haha.

But everything I've read seems quite positive about her, as you've said, the health and safety of NZers through this has been pretty top notch, and it now means pubs and clubs are re-opening and the economy is re-engaging a lot earlier and safer than almost anywhere else in the world which is great news.

Saw she's proposing a 4 day work week, might get me to move over there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back