Podcast The Official Bigfooty Podcast 3x16 - Early MCG Access, Attendace, The Game in Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, Messenger. I know you're not paid to be an expert on every club's list and it was a throwaway comment buried deep in the middle of the podcast, but Shaun Higgins not done much? He's averaging almost 20 touches and 2 goals a game, is the club's equal leader in both goals and goal assists, risen steadily up the rankings points through the season and provided a much needed touch of class around the forward half with Wells out. He's having a comparable season to his excellent 2009 at the doggies.

You could argue he's having a better season than Cyril: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1617&tid2=11&pid2=2312&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

Anyway, in all other resepects a good listen as always and keep up the good work.

You couldn't argue anything of the sort re Rioli, but point taken.
Fine. Team biases at twenty paces.

For almost the same scoreboard impact (goals + assists, don't know where to go for total score involvements):

Higgins has about 70 more possessions, 16 more combined i50s + r50s.
Rioli has 27 more combined tackles + 1%ers.

DE% pretty much identical (though Higgins with more HB), most other differences small and not interesting, and they're in similar enough roles.

The difference in stats shows their differences in roles pretty much exactly: Higgins more arc-to-arc and linkup, Rioli more stay-at-home forward-50 pressure.

You're down to quibbling about which of their relative strengths is more influential. They're both classy, skillful and creative. I don't doubt you think Rioli is the better player and you wouldn't trade him straight up, and you might be right. But for sure I'd have the argument with a straight face about this season in isolation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back