Solved The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished the casefile podcast 5 part episode on this guy. Fascinating listening. Pretty full on and harrowing. Highly recommended.
Yes I also recommend this podcast. It's quiet in depth. This is a truly terrifying case. Amazing after all the attacks no one was ever found and charged. In today's world he would be extremely unlikely to get away with this stuff for so long.

Yes I also recommend this podcast. It's quiet in depth. This is a truly terrifying case. Amazing after all the attacks no one was ever found and charged. In today's world he would be extremely unlikely to get away with this stuff for so long.

I beleive they have his DNA which makes it all the more astononishing. They really dont even have a suspect. If they do they have been extremely tight lipped about it but I think they have nothing.

I beleive they have his DNA which makes it all the more astononishing. They really dont even have a suspect. If they do they have been extremely tight lipped about it but I think they have nothing.
Yeah seems like they have the DNA. Makes me think he is probably dead. Although there were prank calls done years after. So it's hard to tell. Hard to imagine he just stopped offending.

Yeah seems like they have the DNA. Makes me think he is probably dead. Although there were prank calls done years after. So it's hard to tell. Hard to imagine he just stopped offending.
He wouldn't be very old either, because he started quite young.

Listened to the unresolved podcast on it too. Probably enjoyed the casefile one a little more due to the meticulous detail, but both are very good.

What made him stop is the question that is circling for me. Someone who at one stage was attacking every few days, suddenly stopped.

Very sharp operator so possibly he knew with advances in technology and the like that his luck would soon run out.

He wouldn't be very old either, because he started quite young.

Listened to the unresolved podcast on it too. Probably enjoyed the casefile one a little more due to the meticulous detail, but both are very good.

What made him stop is the question that is circling for me. Someone who at one stage was attacking every few days, suddenly stopped.

Very sharp operator so possibly he knew with advances in technology and the like that his luck would soon run out.

He left evidence all over the place. I dont think advances in tech bothered him. Plus people have seen his face as well.

But you are right, the biggest question after who was he? Is why did he stop.

I wonder if his dna will be stored on a database just in case a descendant commits a crime and they can trace him back that way. Assuming ofcourse the tests work like that and the database is a national one.

He left evidence all over the place. I dont think advances in tech bothered him. Plus people have seen his face as well.

But you are right, the biggest question after who was he? Is why did he stop.

I wonder if his dna will be stored on a database just in case a descendant commits a crime and they can trace him back that way. Assuming ofcourse the tests work like that and the database is a national one.
Yeah that's true. He was very casual after crimes too according to the podcasts.

The unresolved one mentioned that maybe he wore a wig at different stages to change up his appearance slightly.

Yeah that's true. He was very casual after crimes too according to the podcasts.

The unresolved one mentioned that maybe he wore a wig at different stages to change up his appearance slightly.

He spent hours in the houses one time he just walked out of a victims house naked from that waste down trough a park or something. Yeah it was night time but he was still in plain sight.

He spent hours in the houses one time he just walked out of a victims house naked from that waste down trough a park or something. Yeah it was night time but he was still in plain sight.
There was one where he casually walked through a neighbours yard while he was casing the place and said "I guess I'm tresspassing" pretty brazen.

He would also break into homes tampering with doors, locks and windows etc. stealing photos and moving things around. Apparently once moving someone's gun and unloading it prior.
He also seemed quiet disturbed after a while as he would be heard sobbing and talking about his mum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading numerous books about the case, it seems like the investigation at the time was haphazard and disorganised by today's standards.

I wonder if there was a more centralised model of law enforcement in the states whether he would have been caught earlier.

Probably, but he was an intelligent criminal so he would have adapted a bit somehow

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

last prank call was in the early 90s and can only take the victims word that it was same person, this would have been around 15 years after the attack, I wonder if emotion got the better and they just put the voice to him when it could have just been a prank caller.

There is a fair chance this guy has been interviewed many times regarding the case and possibly even ruled out incorrectly in the earlier days before DNA testing, he just had far too many close calls and was too close to the investigation and areas being hit that he could just go completely under the radar without coming across police and being stopped, he did have many close calls with the police but surely he wasn't this lucky.

Seems like the police kept too much from the public early on, times were different I am sure but most of these victims were not aware of who he was and what was happening in their neighborhood, just very hard to comprehend this.
Allowed him do as he please without raising too much of an alarm, most of the cases he had been spotted in the weeks prior but no one ever bothered calling police, another baffling bit of a info.

The gaps between the murders then the last isolated murder are pretty puzzling too, some talk he was really shaken up in the 2nd to last murder and that kept him off it for awhile.

I believe he met someone and possibly started a family in the early 80s, something happened which set him back off and he committed that last murder but then has once again settled back down, I also wouldnt be surprised if he is now dead and has been for awhile, just feels like if he was alive something would have happened more recent then the early 90s.

last prank call was in the early 90s and can only take the victims word that it was same person, this would have been around 15 years after the attack, I wonder if emotion got the better and they just put the voice to him when it could have just been a prank caller.

There is a fair chance this guy has been interviewed many times regarding the case and possibly even ruled out incorrectly in the earlier days before DNA testing, he just had far too many close calls and was too close to the investigation and areas being hit that he could just go completely under the radar without coming across police and being stopped, he did have many close calls with the police but surely he wasn't this lucky.

Seems like the police kept too much from the public early on, times were different I am sure but most of these victims were not aware of who he was and what was happening in their neighborhood, just very hard to comprehend this.
Allowed him do as he please without raising too much of an alarm, most of the cases he had been spotted in the weeks prior but no one ever bothered calling police, another baffling bit of a info.

The gaps between the murders then the last isolated murder are pretty puzzling too, some talk he was really shaken up in the 2nd to last murder and that kept him off it for awhile.

I believe he met someone and possibly started a family in the early 80s, something happened which set him back off and he committed that last murder but then has once again settled back down, I also wouldnt be surprised if he is now dead and has been for awhile, just feels like if he was alive something would have happened more recent then the early 90s.
The dead theory does tie in with him possibly having some kind of serious disease or drug issue, as identified by the sniffer dogs.

Does anyone know of any good docos or youtube vids about this case, ive just started reading about it and its fascinating.

casefile podcasts on this are creepy good

I found it odd after listening to the case file, was that there wasn't greater discussion about an investigation into the military link.

It was a while ago that I listened to the pod, so maybe I am not remembering it correctly - but it felt like a lot of the victims, especially early on all had a military link. Like their partners were in the military or for some reason they (the victim) spent time at military bases locally.

It feels like a very plausible explanation that this is how the targets were being identified.

I found it odd after listening to the case file, was that there wasn't greater discussion about an investigation into the military link.

It was a while ago that I listened to the pod, so maybe I am not remembering it correctly - but it felt like a lot of the victims, especially early on all had a military link. Like their partners were in the military or for some reason they (the victim) spent time at military bases locally.

It feels like a very plausible explanation that this is how the targets were being identified.
Agreed, I suspect the military guy out walking his dog with his wife (Brian and Katie) knew him from the military and when they caught him up to no good EAR decided to kill them both. He was spotted doing his thing by lots of people but he didn't chase them down and execute them - until that night. Only one reason I can think of to explain his actions on that night. How this guy was never identified is just weird. The young daughter of one of his victims even provided a detailed description of a tattoo he had on his forearm. FFS how hard could it be.

Last edited:
Agreed, I suspect the military guy out walking his dog with his wife (Brian and Katie) knew him from the military and when they caught him up to no good EAR decided to kill them both. He was spotted doing his thing by lots of people but he didn't chase them down and execute them - until that night. Only one reason I can think of to explain his actions on that night. How this guy was never identified is just weird. The young daughter of one of his victims even provided a detailed description of a tattoo he had on his forearm. FFS how hard could it be.

The whole investigation, like so many, just seems like amateur hour, to this day they still show those 2 supposed drawings of him - the 2 drawings look completely different ..................

They may as well hang up a sign saying 'we still have no idea who this guy is/was'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back