Streaming The Orville - Seth MacFarlane

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Because of sports on TV & other stuff I have only caught up with 8 episodes of the Orville today.

It is SO SO SO SO much better than ST-Disco or many of the other Trek shows they put out today (only seen 1 ep of Strange New Worlds a month ago so give me some leeway).

That dream sequence opening fight of episode one had me thinking 'wow - this is movie quality'. The FX has been great in all the episodes I've seen. And the 'my girlcrush lover death vs Isaac' storyline has been SOOOOOO much more enjoyable and believable than the trans-story in Discovery.

Please keep going for another 5 series (or more) Orville!

And if the Orville doesn't get renewed, Paramount needs to employ Seth and have Michael waking up in first episode of Disco next year and going 'oh it was all a dream'.. and then they can start it properly..

Last edited:
Hot take - while the action was great, quite a few elements of the episode had a lot of convenient/rushed writing though. Took me out of most of the episode.

Considering most of the season has been well crafted and a step up from the first 2, was a bit disappointed actually. Especially considering the run time was around 80 minutes.

I see Seth said on twitter just a few hours ago 'I hope we get to do more' so fingers crossed fellow Orville lovers!

Pretty dull ep I thought. A few really good scenes interspersed with a whole lot of meh.

Another episode I mainly fast forwarded through, very little of interest.
Lightweight, "Hallmark cards" cheesy fluff.

Occasionally The Orville is pretty good, but overall it's just a poor man's ST:TNG, but with much better VFX and added humour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say exactly the opposite really.

Occasionally they have some dull eps like tonight, but overall it's a rich man's TNG on steroids.
The only parts that are on steroids are the VFX and orchestral score.
The rest is a watered down blatant copy of TNG, almost completely lacking in original ideas.
It's the tribute band of the sci-fi shows.

Great if people enjoy it, but I see mostly weaker characters/species and limited/recycled story ideas.
I think they should have stuck to trying to be a parody.

Last edited:
The final episode of Season 3 of The Orville was the story of Isaac coming full circle. The first episode had everyone hating Isaac so much that the Kaylon decided the best thing was for him to commit suicide. The final episode sees Isaac redeemed and respected. In between that, we saw his species evolve. The one thing this show has always done well is build the stories of the individual characters featured on the show. This finale may not be the shoot em up spectacular of Episode 9, but it felt like a nice ending to the season (and hopefully not to the show).

The subplot of Topa and the ramifications of her sex change was also an exceptionally well-handled story throughout the season. It was never preachy like Picard and Discovery always were. It allowed all sides to be explored and handled everything with sensitivity. This was exceptional writing from Seth and his team.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is this is one of the finest seasons of SciFi TV I have ever seen. In the scheme of life, that means nothing, I know. Just another opinion of some random. I really hope we see season 4, but sadly, it's doubtful at this stage.

Last edited:
Finale was ok, but really felt like it should have swapped places with the previous episode?

First 6 episodes were really good but thought the quality dropped away near the end.

Still more enjoyable than most stuff around at the moment.

Finale was ok, but really felt like it should have swapped places with the previous episode?

First 6 episodes were really good but thought the quality dropped away near the end.

Still more enjoyable than most stuff around at the moment.
I disagree. As I postulated above, this series is really the story of the redemptive arc of Isaac, and you couldn't have shown this before episode 9 because the sacrifice of Charly was an important component in getting to the point in episode 10. Everything was tied together beautifully, I felt. The Topa story was important because it was the vehicle that led to the eventual Moclan/Krill alliance. Some of these eps may have seen unrelated to each other, but in my opinion, they were all leading to the same place in the overall story. It was a brilliant season.

So, anyone gunna touch on how dysfunctional it is for the Doc to marry a machine that has no feelings?

It's like those people who are sexually attracted to their cars.

So, anyone gunna touch on how dysfunctional it is for the Doc to marry a machine that has no feelings?

It's like those people who are sexually attracted to their cars.
I think they are trying to foreshadow some form of evolved emotions in a machine that is in development. Isaac has done things that are uncharacteristic of a heartless machine.

I think they are trying to foreshadow some form of evolved emotions in a machine that is in development. Isaac has done things that are uncharacteristic of a heartless machine.

Yeah, still seems a like weird fetish from the Docs pov for her to even pursue a relationship in the first place though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back