Streaming The Orville - Seth MacFarlane

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree it seems to have dialed down the humor. I think Fox wanted the humor and now they're working for Disney/Hulu Seth has gone a bit darker. This is supposed to be a reboot of the series because it's been 3 years since they made season 2. I guess we'll just have to give it a chance and see how it all unfolds.

Really great episode. Opens up a lot more storylines too.

One of the great sci fi shows going around at the mo.

I agree it seems to have dialed down the humor. I think Fox wanted the humor and now they're working for Disney/Hulu Seth has gone a bit darker. This is supposed to be a reboot of the series because it's been 3 years since they made season 2. I guess we'll just have to give it a chance and see how it all unfolds.

Reckon the change happened very early in season 2 IIRC. I reckon the slapstick comedy would have gotten old very quickly.

It's still light in parts. "I could tell you were both drunk'

If anything it's probably on par with shows like SG1 that were drama-ish but had a dash of comedy. Orville just started as a Trek send-up but now holds up on its own.

Also.

20220626_080358.jpg

Pretty powerful episode.

I actually think they could have elevated it even more if they'd had Topa commit suicide after being denied the surgery though. Would have subverted the TNG happy ending trope and really elevated it to an unexpected heavy-hitting GoT-esque level.

Humour is clearly not the go anymore, might as well push the boundaries in another direction.

I found it boring and stopped watching 2/3 of the way through.
The topic didn't interest me, so hopefully they have something more stimulating next week.

Pretty powerful episode.

I actually think they could have elevated it even more if they'd had Topa commit suicide after being denied the surgery though. Would have subverted the TNG happy ending trope and really elevated it to an unexpected heavy-hitting GoT-esque level.

Humour is clearly not the go anymore, might as well push the boundaries in another direction.

I'd say half the show's run hasn't been comedy though.

Wouldn't say it was full blown happy ending either. Klyden basically told his kid that they wish they weren't born, and parents now seperated.

I think Topa flirting with idea was enough to get the idea across. Don't think the show needs to get to GoT level darkness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic episode. Best of the season and one of the best they've ever done. They're really smashing it out of the park this season.

My one criticism is I felt it should have ended with the poignant fading on the family photo. The last 10 minutes felt unneeded and diluted what would have been a very powerful ending.

Fantastic episode. Best of the season and one of the best they've ever done. They're really smashing it out of the park this season.

My one criticism is I felt it should have ended with the poignant fading on the family photo. The last 10 minutes felt unneeded and diluted what would have been a very powerful ending.

Wondering whether it would have been riffing BTTF too much? I thought the same too.

Scott Grimes acting was great too. Not bad for a guy who most know as Steve in American Dad.

This show, in previous seasons, was an ideal of what ST shows should be in the 21st Century. The issue is we now have an actual ST show that does what the Orville does.. only better. So where to for this show to remain relevant?

This show, in previous seasons, was an ideal of what ST shows should be in the 21st Century. The issue is we now have an actual ST show that does what the Orville does.. only better. So where to for this show to remain relevant?
I agree. Star Trek also has Lower Decks now to add a comedy element to the franchise, which undermines The Orville too. I think the only way forward with this show is to stop ripping off old Star Trek episodes and find some originality for the series. I do like The Orville still, but it feels like it's trying to find itself again. That's what happens when you wait 3 years to do another season. You lose momentum and the feel for why it worked.

Wait, which is the new ST show that's better than the Orville?

I've given all of them up to Discovery a far go and found none of them a patch on The Orville.

Seth does Star Trek better than Star Trek from what I've seen. I thought this was another great ep. Loved the Kaylon backstory arc.

Wait, which is the new ST show that's better than the Orville?

I've given all of them up to Discovery a far go and found none of them a patch on The Orville.

Seth does Star Trek better than Star Trek from what I've seen. I thought this was another great ep. Loved the Kaylon backstory arc.
Strange New Worlds

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wanna watch this but do you need to watch Discovery to get the most enjoyment out of it?

Haven't really dabbled in any Trek at all and very keen to.
You don't need to watch Discovery to watch this. Just understand in the starting episode that Pyke is depressed after seeing his future and how he will die (which happened in Discovery). I'm not spoiling this as this is all known from TOS anyway. That's all you need to know to get into this series straightaway.

Wanna watch this but do you need to watch Discovery to get the most enjoyment out of it?

Haven't really dabbled in any Trek at all and very keen to.
Most things are better WITHOUT watching Discovery.

About the only pre-requisite knowledge from Discovery is that Pyke knows the place and time of his death. But don't worry, this fact is drummed into the viewers repeatedly, negating any need to have seen Discovery.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back