The Pre season training thread 2013/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacks problem has never been strength however, it's been mobility. It's a shame we are so tall already in our forward line as it would take a fair few injuries just to plonk him there.

I reckon if you got Koby Stevens in a close up shot like that, you'd be looking at a bigger beast. At least we know we are giving him every possible chance though and at the very least seems like a great quality person to have around Footscray.

I'm not to sure of that, if you look at the pictures from yesterdays training he looks to have trimed down as well.... I thought he was Jarred Grant in one pic hehehe..........

Jacks problem has never been strength however, it's been mobility. It's a shame we are so tall already in our forward line as it would take a fair few injuries just to plonk him there.

I reckon if you got Koby Stevens in a close up shot like that, you'd be looking at a bigger beast. At least we know we are giving him every possible chance though and at the very least seems like a great quality person to have around Footscray.

His mobility is fine IMO, his footy smarts is the main problem and it's one of the reason's why they played him in defence towards the end of the year.

This year is big for Ayce IMO. I've always said once he plays as a ruckmen and not a forward we will see him become a good player, he now has that chance at Footscray.

This year is big for Ayce IMO. I've always said once he plays as a ruckmen and not a forward we will see him become a good player, he now has that chance at Footscray.

I always seen him as the mobile ruckman, come off the bench to allow Minno time to rest while he uses his agility to win contests

Undercover at the Elite Centre this morning.
Wresting match in the sandpit.
Tommy " the wrecker" Williams V Liam " the crusher" Jones.
Hard fought battle early , before " the crusher " starts to get on top and eventually rolls " the wrecker" over,
and it's all over.
" The Wrecker" brushes himself off ,and amazingly seems to still be in one piece. Shoulders still attached to the torso.
The ambulance on standby pulls out , the paramedics relax and go off for a coffee and the Iron Lung is wheeled back into the shed.

Regards , Larrabee.

If Ayce is going to become a ruckman he's going to need a lot more strength in the legs to hold his ground. Too easily he can be pushed off the ball both in marking contests and ruck contests. Guerra (I think?) out marking him sticks out in my mind. He needs a big pre season.

If Ayce is going to become a ruckman he's going to need a lot more strength in the legs to hold his ground. Too easily he can be pushed off the ball both in marking contests and ruck contests. Guerra (I think?) out marking him sticks out in my mind. He needs a big pre season.
No chance for a good year according to the muscle-ometer I'm afraid CG.

If you watch this contest again (wasn't a marking contest, it was a ball that bounced high IIRC) i think you'll find this was more outplayed than outmuscled.

Cordy went to jump (like a throw up in Basketball) and Guerra saw this and knew he had to do something to not lose the contest. So he pushed him away from the drop of the ball as he jumped.

No matter how strong you are, once you jump you give the opponent an opportunity (if timed right) to move your body weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watch this contest again (wasn't a marking contest, it was a ball that bounced high IIRC) i think you'll find this was more outplayed than outmuscled.

Cordy went to jump (like a throw up in Basketball) and Guerra saw this and knew he had to do something to not lose the contest. So he pushed him away from the drop of the ball as he jumped.

No matter how strong you are, once you jump you give the opponent an opportunity (if timed right) to move your body weight.

Sorry, I think I might be thinking of someone else because that's not how I remember it at all. The contest I speak of he was just pushed under the ball then made a lunge back to try and make a contest. It was definitely a marking contest.

It does look that way from the photos and from a few earlier reports a few have mentioned he's even trimmed down a bit too.

I still expect the club to use him as key position player, Darcy Fort is probably expected to play as the No 1 ruck for Footscray.

I saw Cordy at training today and I didn't think it humanly possible but he's gotten thinner..... Yep he's gone from skin and bones to simply bones....

I saw Cordy at training today and I didn't think it humanly possible but he's gotten thinner..... Yep he's gone from skin and bones to simply bones....
What sort of build was his father do you know? And at what rate did he develop?

What sort of build was his father do you know? And at what rate did he develop?

Brian , from my memory was only 5 10 " There a outs and reasonably solid build.
Ironically his two brothers were the string beans around the 6 3" mark,

Cordy
The body mass the club had attached to his physique over a number of seasons made him lumbering, stilted, inflexible...
He is now back to his natural shape and what I saw of him in the last pre Christmas training, he was quicker, more agile, well balanced and much fitter. He has undoubtedly lost strength but moves more like a mid fielder now.

2014 Cordy is likea new recruit. Like J Grant, the club has stopped trying to make him into something he can't be. It will be fascinating for him and us to finally see what he can be.

Cordy
The body mass the club had attached to his physique over a number of seasons made him lumbering, stilted, inflexible...
He is now back to his natural shape and what I saw of him in the last pre Christmas training, he was quicker, more agile, well balanced and much fitter. He has undoubtedly lost strength but moves more like a mid fielder now.

2014 Cordy is likea new recruit. Like J Grant, the club has stopped trying to make him into something he can't be. It will be fascinating for him and us to finally see what he can be.

Funny if we make him a full time midfielder

Good - players perform much better when they are played (and developed) to their strengths - Cordy has an agility advantage over anyone else his height. We need to use this advantage.

Cordy

2014 Cordy is likea new recruit..... the club has stopped trying to make him into something he can't be been able to employ some people who actually know wtf they are doing (Graham Lowe, Justin Cordy and Andy Barnett). These guys will be as central to our inevitable success as any first rounder or coach

Cordy

I really like it. I'd like to see him roaming around on a wing, a bit like what Port did with Westhoff last year.

Cordy

Once again, wise and informative.

This is my favourite pic. He's clearly going for the ball like he should......

310409-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

There is a ball in his hand... About to hand pass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back