The Pre season training thread 2013/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Another great post, all very exciting to read as well. Only bad bit is Jones, so he still hasn't improved his tank at all? Is he at least looking good in the other drills? I had high hopes for him this year :(

Jones is training well, he looks fit and strong and is jumping for everything but is limited because of his endurance. Look when the game sim stuff starts he's like "oh boy" lets play footy but as it goes on and repeat efforts are required he suffers and not a little alot (We've all seen the Jones "Walking Dead" shuffle).... I have know doubt he'll start the season well, begin to slow down around RD8-10 and be in the VFL by RD13ish.... I hope I'm wrong, I really do

Jones is training well, he looks fit and strong and is jumping for everything but is limited because of his endurance. Look when the game sim stuff starts he's like "oh boy" lets play footy but as it goes on and repeat efforts are required he suffers and not a little alot (We've all seen the Jones "Walking Dead" shuffle).... I have know doubt he'll start the season well, begin to slow down around RD8-10 and be in the VFL by RD13ish.... I hope I'm wrong, I really do

It's a shame, I'm always holding hope for Jones but he won't be able to get by with his limited endurance given other flaws in his game, this was the big one I hoped he could improve at some point.

Yeah sounds about right, such a shame because he has so much going for him just needs to build some sort of tank. I think we might have to try to turn him into a deep FF by the sounds of things, I think he might just go okay there though. I honestly reckon Jones at FF and Campbell or Cordy (if the training reports on him are anything to go by) at CHF could work alright, with support from Grant/Crameri/Stringer.

Well done True Dog, terrific stuff. Pity you can't be the web site's full time training reporter. Top stuff, thanks I really enjoy your reports.

Well done True Dog, terrific stuff. Pity you can't be the web site's full time training reporter. Top stuff, thanks I really enjoy your reports.

Thanks Man, If I was the training reporter I'd give my BigFooty brethren all the inside info......

Hunter looks like he's doing everything at half pace, don't get me wrong he's working his arse off but it looks easy to him. His body is obviously still developing and needs to get harder and stronger but man when it does he'll be scary. He was clinical at yesterdays skill session, hitting almost every target but he excels in the game stuff, he just knows it, he gets it, he moves and uses the ball as good as anyone we've seen come to our club in recent times. I still think when his body catches up with his mind (which is lightning quick) he'll be special…….

I agree. Has a bit of Stevie J about him, minus the arrogance. Supremely talented.

I am trying to believe that the Bulldogs are by far the fittest playing group in the AFL and therefore even if Jones is the least fit on our list it won't matter at all. He will outrun any opponent. Well that is what I am trying to believe. But I have to wonder if the heat is frying my brain.

Macrae pushing himself against Boydy! He may be added to our midfield rotations this season.

Honeychurch, I like the cut of his jib.

Does anyone know if the VFL are doing the caps as well?
Cause best for the development of the kids if both teams have the cap to get them ready for AFL

It's a shame, I'm always holding hope for Jones but he won't be able to get by with his limited endurance given other flaws in his game, this was the big one I hoped he could improve at some point.
It's time to call it and turn him into a lumbering gorilla i.e Fevola and Plugger. Get him to pack on the kegs and muscle.

It's time to call it and turn him into a lumbering gorilla i.e Fevola and Plugger. Get him to pack on the kegs and muscle.
Or get him running marathons and then send him on the Tour de France
That will educate his body smartly
I had a guru when I was a whippersnapper and he would say to me
"Grasshopper, if you can not run, walk 100km. Your body will soon teach your mind"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of physical a certain left footer with a hypnotic side step had a little toe to toe with an ex captain… The former Captain took umbrage to the close checking forcing a wrestle between the two ending with the captain on top of him with his arms around his neck. They separated and at the very next ball up the ball was palmed to our left footer who smashed into a waiting pack of players including our ex captain and got the ball clear putting a smile on coach who was watching.
:thumbsu:. Made the hairs on the back of my neck bristle.

And bye the bye, even though Lower was not the most talented player to ever grace our list, I think he was the right bloke at the right time for the right amount of time when you consider the aggression he brought to the team. I think the younger players may have learnt a thing or two from him with regards to taking it to the opposition and standing up for themselves. I'm putting him in the timely basket and worth the pick for the longer term benefit of our younger players.

Thanks TD on the great update. Not much to talk about at this time of the year so training updates are great. Very excited about your feedback on Hunter. Looks a natural.

Has anyone been at training and watched Stringer closely?

How is he going with the running and cardio side of things? Does his running action look any better?

That was answered a page ago.

Totally forgot about TC! My apologies, how dare I forget about him. Maybe because I see him as a Full Forward only at the moment. But yes, if Cordy makes it, that's a nice trifecta there!!

i like big tommy, really do - but i don't see him as a forwards grass mole. offers good value up forward as a resting ruckman, but surely can't pick him as a stay at home forward ahead of Jones or Williams. not mobile enough to influence enough contests, and competes hard but doesn't mark well enough. IMO, he should only play if he's our best option at FF (ie - plays the position better than williams/jones/roberts/cordy et al....) or he goes past minno as #1 ruckman.

I agree. Has a bit of Stevie J about him, minus the arrogance. Supremely talented.
Agree, except for the bolded bit - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry lads no training update today it was a closed session..... I tried to go to the other side (Hawkins Wing side) and got told to leave in no uncertain terms..... Would have liked to have known that before my 50K trip in but what can you do...

Personally I'm not sure what these closed sessions achieve this time of year but understand the right to keep things in house

Remove this Banner Ad

Back