The Real Welcome Tom Doedee Thread - Draft Pick #17

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO i believe at the start of last years finals, our list was rated as better than the Bulldogs .....just shows you how 4 weeks of finals can change opinions so dramatically

Yep, just look at their 4-5 weeks leading up to last year's finals. Their form was terrible. Massive credit to them for turning it around, but their form coming into finals was shocking and very few rated them any chance.

Of course post finals everyone is wise in hindsight. But few rated them coming into the finals.

Happy to see any post from anyone on the forum that says otherwise, and massive kudos to them if they were on the Dogs wagon.

Their form, up to finals, was poor.

Sloane #
Priddis#
Barlow#
Luke Brown#
Puopolo#
M McGovern#

All overlooked in their draft year.

# = by everyone

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But just out of interest, despite being overlooked by EVERY other club, in that list of 7 players, 3 are on the Crows list.

This looks like a win to me. Priddis trained with us but was overlooked for a few drafts due to concerns re his lack of pace. We could have rookied him and didn't, and in hindsight that's a loss.

But would anyone trade Barlow and Puopolo for Sloane, Brown and/or McGovern?

This shows how great our club is at picking gems.

Using the benefit of hindsight, across ALL clubs in the AFL, is really unfair in making determinations about who was "missed". You're going to nail some and your going to miss some. We do incredibly well.

Last edited:
Yep, just look at their 4-5 weeks leading up to last year's finals. Their form was terrible. Massive credit to them for turning it around, but their form coming into finals was shocking and very few rated them any chance.

Of course post finals everyone is wise in hindsight. But few rated them coming into the finals.

Happy to see any post from anyone on the forum that says otherwise, and massive kudos to them if they were on the Dogs wagon.

Their form, up to finals, was poor.
You seem to have ignored their lengthy injury list and the achievement just to make the finals.

You think Dogs fans thought they were a chance in 2016? Pies in 2002? Crows in 97? Crows in 05?

The midfield needs to improve on last season

But there is enough cattle there for organic improvement. It will depend on coaching
I like this guy.
Come over. I know you have the best team song but still. At the very least your second team. I wanted you to beat the woods but I still can't stand Milne

I don't follow it closely but Bicks and Jeffcrowe thoughts?

I would really like to have given Mitch McCarthy a chance with a late pick...very raw but big upside if he developed like I think he might....196cm. 95Kg high leaping, athletic Forward/Defence prospect very capable of chopping out in Ruck.....very much like a Josh Jenkins development prospect having only come back to football in recent times after playing College basketball in the USA. Thought both Ben Ronke and Jonty Scharenberg were also very draftable with late picks, Ronke in particular already big bodied and lightning quick, no surprise the Swans nabbed him in the Rookie draft.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-11-28/rookie-draft-mitch-mccarthy

Rookie Draft: Selection No. 7 – Mitch McCarthy

Position: Ruckman/ tall utility
Height: 195cm
Weight: 93kg
Born: 10/10/1997
Recruited from: Dandenong U18

"Mitchell is a 19-year-old athlete whose first love was basketball, which took him to the USA in 2015. He returned in Christmas 2015 but missed the first six weeks of the pre-season so he played catch-up. He added 12kg to his frame and is a 60 metre kick with lots of tricks in the air. He has a new age ruck style (a 205cm hand span) but will develop as a key defender at AFL levek. He will become a better player the more games of football he plays - he was limited this year due to a broken foot. He might take a year or two before playing at AFL level but will be exciting," - Dandenong Stingrays talent manager Mark Wheeler, Inside Football, November 2016.

I don't give a fig about their proven ability.

Look at the Dogs last year

Look at what the Swans have served up the last 5 seasons

Look at Malthouse in 02/03

And must I remind you, look at what the Crows did in 97/98 - you're telling me Eccles and Theissen and co were premiership quality?!

It's coaching

It's always been coaching

Cattle helps, but motivation and structures makes an average team better than a poorly coached a grade team

Another great example of this is Ross Lyons Saint Kilda side.

I know they didn't exactly have success in terms of the grand prize, but their H&A record and finals appearances was ridiculous given the list that they had.

There were some seriously s**t players in that squad of 22-25. How they did what they did I will never know (but Ross Lyon does).

Even Freo in 2014, bit of a one hit wonder I suppose, but shows that structures and coaching are a massive part.

You think Dogs fans thought they were a chance in 2016? Pies in 2002? Crows in 97? Crows in 05?

The midfield needs to improve on last season

But there is enough cattle there for organic improvement. It will depend on coaching

Yeah and with Campo still at the helm of the department that needs the most improvement, don't expect us to go anywhere in 2017.

Pyke just needs to take full control and hand Campo a sudoku puzzle or rubix cube to solve on game day, cos he ain't gonna solve our midfield problems that's for sure!

Last edited:
# = by everyone

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But just out of interest, despite being overlooked by EVERY other club, in that list of 7 players, 3 are on the Crows list.

This looks like a win to me. Priddis trained with us but was overlooked for a few drafts due to concerns re his lack of pace. We could have rookied him and didn't, and in hindsight that's a loss.

But would anyone trade Barlow and Puopolo for Sloane, Brown and/or McGovern?

This shows how great our club is at picking gems.

Using the benefit of hindsight, across ALL clubs in the AFL, is really unfair in making determinations about who was "missed". You're going to nail some and your going to miss some. We do incredibly well.
The point I was making is that there are likely players after Davis on our magic 'list' that will end up as good AFL players.

I'm not saying we should have drafted those guys. We filled our lists then.

I'm saying don't leave a spot empty because there are always players rated lower at the time or regarded as smokies who emerge.

I would really like to have given Mitch McCarthy a chance with a late pick...very raw but big upside if he developed like I think he might....196cm. 95Kg high leaping, athletic Forward/Defence prospect very capable of chopping out in Ruck.....very much like a Josh Jenkins development prospect having only come back to football in recent times after playing College basketball in the USA. Thought both Ben Ronke and Jonty Scharenberg were also very draftable with late picks, Ronke in particular already big bodied and lightning quick, no surprise the Swans nabbed him in the Rookie draft.
What happened to Jonty Scharenberg. He was touted as a high draft pick at the beginning of the year then was passed over by everyone.

Yeah and with Campo still at the helm of the department that needs the most improvement, don't expect us to go anywhere in 2017.

Pyke just needs to take full control and hand Campo a sudoku puzzle or rubix cube to solve on game day, cos he ain't gonna solve our midfield problems that's for sure!

If Pyke allows wrong decisions by anyone on a regular basis, he is signing his own resignation, do you honestly believe Pyke will allow any of his staff to be making wrong calls consistently, it's his arse on the line. He would have to be pretty damn stupid to let that occur and if so isn't the man for the job, the coaching job is about getting the best out of all your people working for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Jonty Scharenberg. He was touted as a high draft pick at the beginning of the year then was passed over by everyone.
I feel his lack of a real standout attribute in his skill set might have been the major contributing factor to Jonty being passed over, that, with a perceived lack of speed, versatility and inconsistent foot skills perhaps? That said still think he had shown as much or more than a few that did get drafted and how one club didn't at least rookie him I find totally perplexing. IMO his inside/extraction skills alone should have seen him get a spot on a list.

I feel his lack of a real standout attribute in his skill set might have been the major contributing factor to Jonty being passed over, that, with a perceived lack of speed, versatility and inconsistent foot skills perhaps? That said still think he had shown as much or more than a few that did get drafted and how one club didn't at least rookie him I find totally perplexing. IMO his inside/extraction skills alone should have seen him get a spot on a list.

Sydney picked up Toby pink from the bays as a rookie is almost laughable

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember hearing that there was rumoured attitude issues?

I definitely would have rookied him, had him ranked around the middle of the range by ND time

I remember hearing that there was rumoured attitude issues?

I definitely would have rookied him, had him ranked around the middle of the range by ND time

I'd call bullshit on that....he was an AFL Academy Squad member, you absolutely don't get a spot if you have even shown a hint of attitude or character issues and you are rissoled at the first sign once in the squad.

I'd call bullshit on that....he was an AFL Academy Squad member, you absolutely don't get a spot if you have even shown a hint of attitude or character issues and you are rissoled at the first sign once in the squad.
That's what I originally thought, it did come from a couple of different sources though. That said, it could well be people trying to make up an excuse.

Are any clubs ever two players short on their senior list?

No But are there any Club with 2 x Cat B rookie that have play Football at a High Standard in the Juniors and can walk into any AFL Squad.
or 2 x Cat B rookie that would not be out of place in a AFL team.

Look at the full Picture. Crows currently have a Squad of 45, All but Shaw can play This Year.
So how many AFL teams have a Squad of 45.

No But are there any Club with 2 x Cat B rookie that have play Football at a High Standard in the Juniors and can walk into any AFL Squad.
or 2 x Cat B rookie that would not be out of place in a AFL team.

Look at the full Picture. Crows currently have a Squad of 45, All but Shaw can play This Year.
So how many AFL teams have a Squad of 45.
So we needed to keep spots available for these guys, which is fair enough and hence were restricted with how many picks we could use. If only we had one more free spot on our list ;)

So we needed to keep spots available for these guys, which is fair enough and hence were restricted with how many picks we could use. If only we had one more free spot on our list ;)
We are allowed to upgrade a rookie mid-year without a long-term injury.
Short term with our current depth, the only way Keath gets in is if one of Hartigan, Lever, Talia get long term injury. And then we still have Otten and Kelly to cover. Long term maybe Midyear. or upgraded end of the year
The advantage of having one spot open lies with, Greenwood or Beech both ready to go in the first game if needed.

We are allowed to upgrade a rookie mid-year without a long-term injury.
Short term with our current depth, the only way Keath gets in is if one of Hartigan, Lever, Talia get long term injury. And then we still have Otten and Kelly to cover. Long term maybe Midyear. or upgraded end of the year
The advantage of having one spot open lies with, Greenwood or Beech both ready to go in the first game if needed.
I think you missed the point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back