Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok then why don’t you think we will play finals next year ? Give me some reasons ?

Same reason as this year.

You have gone after the wrong kind of players and also not addressed the needs to improve your team.

IMO getting Martin was a mistake. Papley would have been massive, still might be an option. Cripps looks worn out from carrying the Carlton midfield for the past few years, he needs support, problem is getting support is not easy, Brad Crouch could be an option.

I think also you have overpaid for players like Gov that have little output and poor standards, a decent key forward would make the world of difference.

I also think you have too many players that spend more time on the sidelines than on the park, makes it hard to get consistency. Curnow while has the potential to be elite talent, struggles to play.

Carlton need to trade out some big name players to fill your needs, but it doesnt have the balls to do it. I also think you need to cast aside players that have outplayed their usefulness at your Club. Betts needs to go. He is finished. Waste of time now. Sure he will have the odd good game, but his time has come. Well it was probably two years ago.

Teague doesnt strike me as a coach able to undertake the heat of finals and take a side like Carlton not only into September but deep.

Lions in comparison need a big strong key forward, IMO they will address that in November. Carlton need to address its needs to take the next step.

Curnow back next year will give them a massive boost, one of the best 1 - 2 punches in the league with McKay.

Rise up the ladder being halted by players like Dow, SPS not really coming on - McGovern on good coin doing absolutely nothing.

Same reason as this year.

You have gone after the wrong kind of players and also not addressed the needs to improve your team.

IMO getting Martin was a mistake. Papley would have been massive, still might be an option. Cripps looks worn out from carrying the Carlton midfield for the past few years, he needs support, problem is getting support is not easy, Brad Crouch could be an option.

I think also you have overpaid for players like Gov that have little output and poor standards, a decent key forward would make the world of difference.

I also think you have too many players that spend more time on the sidelines than on the park, makes it hard to get consistency. Curnow while has the potential to be elite talent, struggles to play.

Carlton need to trade out some big name players to fill your needs, but it doesnt have the balls to do it. I also think you need to cast aside players that have outplayed their usefulness at your Club. Betts needs to go. He is finished. Waste of time now. Sure he will have the odd good game, but his time has come. Well it was probably two years ago.

Teague doesnt strike me as a coach able to undertake the heat of finals and take a side like Carlton not only into September but deep.

Lions in comparison need a big strong key forward, IMO they will address that in November. Carlton need to address its needs to take the next step.
Ok that’s fair but we did go after midfielders just didn’t want to come to us. Shiel coniglio and papely we went after didn’t go our way. Dow obrien and to some extent sps underwhelming this year. Martin was absolutely the right player. One of the few players that can kick.
We get charlie back next year. He’s been on the sidelines this year but hopefully we get him right for next year.
If we add Williams and another mid i think we will be alright.
Brisbane lions were absolutely brilliant in their trading of lyons mcarthy neale and cameron but more importantly Hodgey culture wise. Make no mistake this trade period is absolutely crucial will decide where we go. I agree mcgovern was in hindsight a absolutely s**t deal.

Papley is obviously good for any club and would fit in, but if the $ requirements being touted are correct then surely the money is better spend on mids.

Curnow back next year will give them a massive boost, one of the best 1 - 2 punches in the league with McKay.

Rise up the ladder being halted by players like Dow, SPS not really coming on - McGovern on good coin doing absolutely nothing.

Curnow is massive. Rare elite player. Dow LOB SPS Cuningham held back by older players. Need to play key roles not flanks and bit parts

Setterfield has really stepped up and get better as will Walsh

McGovern in my opinion is a defender. That’s what’s Adelaide thought in the end

Jack Newman Kennedy are underrated players in our structure

Cottrell Philp Honey show real talent

A couple of key additions and a fit list and we are finals bound. We have come a long way in 12 months.

Two first rounders on papley isn’t good list management.

Neither the coin

- Jack Martin on a heap
- Gov on wayyyy too much
Adding Pap on a decent wicket is one expensive forward line (Curnow and McKay worth what they cost)

Need midfielders not forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curnow is massive. Rare elite player. Dow LOB SPS Cuningham held back by older players. Need to play key roles not flanks and bit parts

Setterfield has really stepped up and get better as will Walsh

McGovern in my opinion is a defender. That’s what’s Adelaide thought in the end

A couple of key additions and a fit list and we are finals bound. We have come a long way in 12 months.

Gov needs to go back or be dropped. His output as a forward is revolting. 1 touch today to half time vs the bottom team.

Neither the coin

- Jack Martin on a heap
- Gov on wayyyy too much
Adding Pap on a decent wicket is one expensive forward line (Curnow and McKay worth what they cost)

Gov is out of contract this year and martin was front ended so i think the cap space id there but I doubt we can attract any big names.

Neither the coin

- Jack Martin on a heap
- Gov on wayyyy too much

Martin on bugger all next year. Most of his contract paid this year. Blues have lots of room in Salary Cap next year

We offered pick 9 last year. Knowing how good charlie is now would you give up 2 early first round picks ? I would for lachie neal not charlie

This years first round and a swap of some later picks is it for me. Fair deal

I like Newnes & Fisher just need Papley. Is there another Butler out there?

Add Williams Graham to what we have makes a difference

We are not perfect by any stretch but I’m not sure how anyone can fault the recruitment of Jack Martin. Had a fantastic first season and still has plenty of improvement left. Filled a position of need. Will be on a reduced contract when we hope to be contending and didn’t cost us any draft capital.

That’s one thing we got spot on IMO.

Back