Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Walsh, Kennedy, Fisher, JSOS, Stocker, DeKoning, Pittonet, Marchbank and Plowman
Hard to stuff up Weitering or Walsh as No.1s. McKay and Curnow were good 1st rounders. The GWS Bs did not work. Fisher and LOB are average. Jury out on Stocker. JSOS is a B Grader and I assume you are still trying to forget BSOS.

The GWS Bs did not work.

Kennedy cost pick 28 and is borderline AA form and a vital piece of our midfield.

Plowman has played 100 games, has finished top 5 in our BnF, and we got him for effectively Troy Menzel (now delisted) who we traded to the Crows for pick 28 (and Sam Kerridge). We also got Lamb, Phillips and Sumner (we needed bodies for a year and took their Salaries).

A separate part of that deal was a pick swap that let us select Harry McKay in that draft.

Caleb Marchbank (and Jarrod Pickett) was a pick downgrade in 2017. Injury has been the only thing holding him back, and you cant blame a recruiter for a player getting injured down the track. He's clearly shown enough form when he's been on the park to show he warranted it.

I dont think you realise what the list looked like when he did those trades. We had literally 2 good players and a bunch of potatoes. We needed a few blokes in to prop the joint up while rebuilding.

If he had his time again, I'd be happy with him doing every one of those trades. Even the Marchbank one, now that we're in dire need of a KPD and he's literally 1 game in the VFL back from doing his knee last year.

I would be interested to know if anyone thinks we could have arrived at this point earlier, if you start the clock in January 2015. Would have been some feat to have gotten there significantly faster, imo.

Probably still two or three away from having a real crack, as well.

But as other have already said, we were ******* garbage when SOS arrived.

Last edited:
Suns, 7 of 10 goals from talls, Dockers, no concerns with KPD players ?
This old chest Nut?

Your still bragging about this?

I remember back in the 2020 season, Freo were crippled with injury with the key defender department.

Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling did not play one minute of that 2020 season as both were injured. Griffin Logue played the 1st 4 or 5 games of that season and didn't play after round 5 as he was injured after round 5 and didn't play another game in 2020.

So that meant a 194 cm Brennan Cox played full back all season.

Various blokes filled that centre half back spot: a 187 cm Luke Ryan. A 192 cm skinny flanker in Taylin Duman and a 192 cm Griffin Logue.

Carlton fluked a close win vs Freo in 2020, despite Dockers injuries.

Hard to stuff up Weitering or Walsh as No.1s. McKay and Curnow were good 1st rounders. The GWS Bs did not work. Fisher and LOB are average. Jury out on Stocker. JSOS is a B Grader and I assume you are still trying to forget BSOS.
New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

Ironic? Maybe if said debut was against us. Was an NGA pick we were hoping would go to 40 so we could match but Carlton picked him earlier than expected. All the best for his career.
I think he means 'interesting'. People often misuse irony.

I blame Alanis Morissette

If you think JSOS is a B Grader you mustn't watch any Carlton games. I don't blame you though, we have been dogshit for years - but JSOS is probably in the top five players I'd pick given full availability of our list.

Fisher isn't average either - going at a goal a game and 18 touches playing as a pure HFF. LOB had 700 meters gained on the weekend and is clearly our best user by foot. The DE% statistic isn't necessarily indicative of that but if you watched him play you'd understand what I meant. He's not elite, but I do think he is absolutely worth persisting with.

Some of the GWS B's were hilarious though, I can't even remember half of their names. Sumner comes to mind as being particularly bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Carlton going to start playing good teams soon?
A couple of the teams we've played might be top 8 had we not beaten them.

That said, we've been a bit fortunate because we're in a much better place to tackle the better sides after the bye. Worked out the kinks in the gameplan and much more consistent across the 4 quarters. Just need a few players back and we're primed to compete.

I think he means 'interesting'. People often misuse irony.

I blame Alanis Morissette
The thing is…
A song titled ironic, listing things that aren’t ironic, is kinda…

Shame she admitted that she just stuffed up, and didn’t lean into the whole “the entire song was ironic”

Back to the footy.
What we need is not more KPD, what we need is better forwards and forward-mid connection. Won the inside 50 count significantly, just couldn’t deliver.

If you have a decent, functioning foward line and a strong and deep midfield like Carlton has right now, you can cover for an undermanned backline which we currently have most weeks.

Yeah nor going to lie, we have had a pretty easy draw so far, but also we have been getting stung by injuries, and banking wins in the early/first part of the season will help us in the 2nd half.

Goes without saying Voss and his new coaching panel, with Ash Hansen etc, is so much better than Teague and the previous group we had too.

I would be interested to know if anyone thinks we could have arrived at this point earlier, if you start the clock in January 2015. Would have been some feat to have gotten there significantly faster, imo.

Probably still two or three away from having a real crack, as well.

But as other have already said, we were ******* garbage when SOS arrived.
Appointing Teague was an absolute disaster, we completely wasted 2 years.

Kennedy and Plowman go okay. JSOS is getting closer to A grade by the week. I’d prefer 15 touches from him than 30 from a lot of midfielders in the league. Very damaging and hard at it.

Carlton have definitely gone past Fremantle now.

Carlton = top 4 side.
Fremantle = borderline top 8 side.

Yes I'm aware Fremantle beat Carlton the other week but that was in Perth and Carlton lost two players to injury during the game.

McKay + Curnow would be the best key forward duo in the game right now. They remind me of Franklin and Roughead in 2008.

Hawkins + Cameron and Lynch + Riewoldt are the other top key forward duos in the game but all those players are closer to the end than the beginning.

McKay + Curnow on the other hand have 10 year careers ahead of them and the future with those two is looking to be a very exciting ride for Carlton supporters.

Taberner + Lobb as a key forward duo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Back