Society/Culture The role of government

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4) Stopping people from borrowing too much money and getting themselves in financial trouble, not ripping anyone off, just them being financial numpties. Note I said themselves here.

could you elaborate on what you mean here? coz it seems as if you think the troubles people get themselves into exist in some kind of vacuum where negative externalities aren't a thing?

GC26 is the perthboy of SRP.

Conservatives believe in small government , anarchist believe in no government .

Why do you think you have the right to tell others how to live their life ?

oh yeah. there's no evidence at all of conservative governments waving their regulatory stick at the private decisions of their citizens :drunk:

GC26 is the perthboy of SRP.

oh yeah. there's no evidence at all of conservative governments waving their regulatory stick at the private decisions of their citizens :drunk:

He's not a "conservative", he doesn't even know what it means.
He just uses some of the dopier conservative slogans to hide his personal greed, ie the desire to dodge paying his fair share of tax, and bugger who that hurts directly or indirectly.

could you elaborate on what you mean here? coz it seems as if you think the troubles people get themselves into exist in some kind of vacuum where negative externalities aren't a thing?

Some people want that big government stick over their heads , personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

so people should be free to make decisions that negatively impact others?

You don't know if the decision is going to have negative results, the person should get a chance to make the choice, not the big government stick.

Its not just about what is legal and not but also about how much responsibility people take for themselves . People should not expect the government to totally fund their own personal health or their child's education .
We in Australia have one of the highest standards of living in the world but there are still people who need assistance, would you expect people on low wages to pay for their own health care or their children's education? Are you for wiping unemployment benefits altogether?

On a global scale what about refugees, the starving, people living in the slums of Asia working in sweat shops etc. Do they need to take responsibility for their own circumstances? Or is it big business/military industrial complex that is the major cause of their circumstance. What are your views on the educational and health plights of indigenous Australians? What about corporate welfare?

As I said earlier in a utopian society it would be feasible but not in the world we inhabit right now. Our world is nuanced and not every citizen can fend for themselves or is in complete control of their own destiny. I want a world where empathy, compassion as well as a level of personal responsibility for your own actions are the overarching principals of how our planet operates.

But you want them to provide law and order, but you don't want them to tell people what they can and can't do. That is 100% contradictory.

I said to begin with law and order is the first priority of any government and that all other aspects of government must be done conservatively .

So clearly I said the government can tell people what they can and cant do in certain situations but this must be in as few situations as possible .

Let me explain because some of you guys have very bad comprehension skills .

Physical violence is something the government should stop , saying something offensive is something the government should not stop .

We in Australia have one of the highest standards of living in the world but there are still people who need assistance, would you expect people on low wages to pay for their own health care or their children's education? Are you for wiping unemployment benefits altogether?

On a global scale what about refugees, the starving, people living in the slums of Asia working in sweat shops etc. Do they need to take responsibility for their own circumstances? Or is it big business/military industrial complex that is the major cause of their circumstance. What are your views on the educational and health plights of indigenous Australians? What about corporate welfare?

As I said earlier in a utopian society it would be feasible but not in the world we inhabit right now. Our world is nuanced and not every citizen can fend for themselves or is in complete control of their own destiny. I want a world where empathy, compassion as well as a level of personal responsibility for your own actions are the overarching principals of how our planet operates.

Firstly if we had lower taxes we would have less poor people , so we would be better able to take care of those who are most vulnerable in society .

Secondly I am a big believer in charity and I am not putting any limit on what can be done by charities .

The truth is other countries need to fix up their own backyard , the poor in this country pay the big price for our immigration intakes and to be honest it actually benefits most of the rich especially those who own a business . At the end of the day we cant take them all in and some have to be left back home .

Government is not the answer to all of societies problems , it is always wasteful and inefficient . Lower taxes and regulation and watch people rise out of poverty in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$226 came out of my bank account last night for private health insurance because I don't want other people to have to totally pay for my healthcare .

The idea that an adult without a disability would expect others totally pay for 100% of their healthcare is selfish and greedy .

$226 came out of my bank account last night for private health insurance because I don't want other people to have to totally pay for my healthcare .

The idea that an adult without a disability would expect others totally pay for 100% of their healthcare is selfish and greedy .
Are you donating your 30% healthcare rebate to charity?

If you keel over in the street mate, chances are you'll end up in a public hospital, $226 a month or no bloody $226 a month. It's in your interests to ensure that they are well funded, and maintained.

Still doesn't change the fact that people shouldn't expect others to pay 100% for their health care even if they go to a public hospital .

You know all my family including the older relatives have private health insurance and they have never spent more than 24 hours in a public hospital . Grandfather was taken by ambulance to a public hospital and was soon moved to private hospital for the treatment .

I don't doubt that there are some cases where a person has to be treated as public hospital and even than they are given better care but from what I have seen nearly everything can be done in a private hospital . My local private hospital does take emergencies.

Figure 8: Funding sources for private hospitals, 2011–12 (couldn't find any later figures)

fig08.png

Not being an expert in tyre burning I would say the tyres burning would put my life , health and property at risk so yes it would be against the law .

So you support green energy laws and carbon pricing then? And laws aimed at stopping pollution and protecting the enivonment?

Odd position for you to take considering your stance as a right wing nutter, but kudos.

The TAC would cover such an accident as it should because the accident was caused by someone else

So let me get this right.

Timmy is walking to school one morning.

1) Some dude runs Timmy over (while shitfaced): The State should pay for Timmys medical bills (criminal act)
2) Someone dude runs Timmy over accidentally: The State should pay for Timmys medical bills (someone elses fault).
3) A tree falls on Timmys head while he cross the road, crushing his skull: Timmy should pay for it himself. If he cant, screw him.

Is that the rub of it?

For example I spend $226 a month on private health insurance a month and I have access to top quality healthcare

Erm... what if you cant afford $226 per month?

Unemployed people, the homeless, the mentally ill, children, the elderly, the disabled...

You know - the people who need the medical care the most.

So you support green energy laws and carbon pricing then? And laws aimed at stopping pollution and protecting the enivonment?

Odd position for you to take considering your stance as a right wing nutter, but kudos.

So let me get this right.

Timmy is walking to school one morning.

1) Some dude runs Timmy over (while shitfaced): The State should pay for Timmys medical bills (criminal act)
2) Someone dude runs Timmy over accidentally: The State should pay for Timmys medical bills (someone elses fault).
3) A tree falls on Timmys head while he cross the road, crushing his skull: Timmy should pay for it himself. If he cant, screw him.

Is that the rub of it?

Erm... what if you cant afford $226 per month?

Unemployed people, the homeless, the mentally ill, children, the elderly, the disabled...

You know - the people who need the medical care the most.

Who is making power by burning tyres in this country ? got no idea what your talking about but my position is that cheap coal is the way to go at the moment .

So my turn to ask a question .

If Timmy's health is so important which I don't doubt it is why didn't his parents take out private health insurance ?

Your argument is that health care is so important but not important enough for someone to pay for it . Why do you think I pay $226 a month for fun ?

Who is making power by burning tyres in this country ? got no idea what your talking about but my position is that cheap coal is the way to go at the moment .

Global warming and carbon emissions (as you say above) put my life , health and property (whole ******* planet) at risk.

Ergo they can and should be banned (like the tyre burner next door).

So my turn to ask a question .

Dont take this the wrong way but you're not very smart, Im having a bad day today, and I cant be bothered.

Im not playing anymore. Go to Uni and do a legal/politics degree. Get back to me in 5 years.

Why do you think I pay $226 a month for fun ?

Because you like paying double?

I said to begin with law and order is the first priority of any government and that all other aspects of government must be done conservatively .

So clearly I said the government can tell people what they can and cant do in certain situations but this must be in as few situations as possible .

Let me explain because some of you guys have very bad comprehension skills .

Physical violence is something the government should stop , saying something offensive is something the government should not stop .
So now they can tell you what to do. Which is it? Contradictions everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back