News The Russian invasion of Ukraine

Remove this Banner Ad

I have several friends who are citizens in Ukraine, I've been in constant contract with them since the fighting broke out, one lives in Kiev the other one in Odessa, to say that I am nervous for them is an understatement, they've now witnessed fighting first hand in the streets or woken up to the sounds of bombing.

What is happening their is a ******* tragedy beyond all measure, thankfully it seems like the Ruskis vastly underestimated Ukraine will to defend herself and they have all but halted their initial blitz into the country.

What is Putin's endgame here? Who knows, either way an unprovoked invasion of a sovereign country like this will have a huge implications for the world for a very very long time.

The President of the Ukraine orders civilian men to take arms, leave their families, face certain death.....but we in Australia throw the toys outta the cot cause the government tells you to wear a mask.

I have spent a small amount of time in Kiev, Kharkiv and it’s surrounds. It is a beautiful country with wonderful, hardy people. Kiev has a European flare to it.

Putin is a campaigner. The type of which we have seen only few of in the last 100 years.

How on earth do you do diplomacy with a country that has 600 nuclear bombs ready to roll out?

I hope Vlad drops dead tomorrow. The world would be a better place.

Worlds worst human beings 1922-2022, Brisdog’s top 5:

1. Adolf Hitler
2. Pol Pot
3. Joseph Stalin
4. Toby Greene
5. Vladimir Putin

I was thinking of starting a Go Fund Me, to fund an assassin for Putin. 1 Billion should do it.

At a time when the world is struggling with a pandemic, global warming, uncertain economy, poor mental health on an epidemic scale, it is just unbelievable that this individual wants a war.

Worlds worst human beings 1922-2022, Brisdog’s top 5:

1. Adolf Hitler
2. Pol Pot
3. Joseph Stalin
4. Toby Greene
5. Vladimir Putin
I was actually thinking about this topic today.

I thought 1. Hitler, 2. Putin. But having seen your post, I fully agree that I should place Greene at two and relegate Putin to third.

It’s hard to work out what the Russian strategy is here.

Do they think the Ukrainian people will simply accept a puppet government that gets set up?

Every second citizen will become a guerrilla fighter and any resistance will be well funded by the US and its allies.

ThevRussians simply don’t have enough troops to occupy the country anyway.

41 million people also need to be fed and kept warm.

This is going to be re-run of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in the 80s.

I have spent a small amount of time in Kiev, Kharkiv and it’s surrounds. It is a beautiful country with wonderful, hardy people. Kiev has a European flare to it.

Putin is a campaigner. The type of which we have seen only few of in the last 100 years.

How on earth do you do diplomacy with a country that has 600 nuclear bombs ready to roll out?

I hope Vlad drops dead tomorrow. The world would be a better place.
Russia currently has more deployable nuclear warheads in the field and stockpiled than the United States, Great Britain and France combined.

Even though they are only the worlds 11th largest economy, they currently have the 4th largest reserve of cash on hand that will go a long way to diluting the effectiveness of any sanctions that the West will hand down. Vlad is a strategic thinker and has been preparing for this for some time. The irony is that Europe is the source of this cash reserve given its idiotic reliance on Russian energy. Germany actually admitted that they had been asleep at the wheel today and didnt seen any of this coming.

I was thinking of starting a Go Fund Me, to fund an assassin for Putin. 1 Billion should do it.

At a time when the world is struggling with a pandemic, global warming, uncertain economy, poor mental health on an epidemic scale, it is just unbelievable that this individual wants a war.
This is exactly why Putin has chosen this moment to act. He perceives the West to be a soft decedent and politically fractured rabble and the reason that the Soviet empire collapsed.

Putin has been playing a long game that has led up to this point. He has been destabilising the western democracies along political lines with an unrivalled use of online social agitation and misinformation for many years. Actions that paid off when we saw a mob overrun the base of political power in the country of his biggest adversary. He then went on to spur the largest anti-science movement the world has ever seen at a time when it could least afford it. Make no mistake he is an evil genius that is intent on restoring Russian glory to its post WWII levels. No matter the cost. Whether he has bitten off more than he can chew should the long planned counter-insurgency in Ukraine take off. Or whether the West has the will to push back if he pushes on and strikes at the NATO aligned baltic countries remains to be seen. If they can remain united and he does push beyond Ukraine then it will be brutal but he will almost certainly be defeated and forced back behind his borders and his 6000+ nukes.

Two out of 3 of the worlds nuclear super powers are ruled by authoritarian ethno-nationalist dictators and we were not far off and there is some chance where we will see all 3 ruled by the same.

TL;DR: Happy days...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russia currently has more deployable nuclear warheads in the field and stockpiled than the United States, Great Britain and France combined.

Even though they are only the worlds 11th largest economy, they currently have the 4th largest reserve of cash on hand that will go a long way to diluting the effectiveness of any sanctions that the West will hand down. Vlad is a strategic thinker and has been preparing for this for some time. The irony is that Europe is the source of this cash reserve given its idiotic reliance on Russian energy. Germany actually admitted that they had been asleep at the wheel today and didnt seen any of this coming.

This is exactly why Putin has chosen this moment to act. He perceives the West to be a soft decedent and politically fractured rabble and the reason that the Soviet empire collapsed.

Putin has been playing a long game that has led up to this point. He has been destabilising the western democracies along political lines with an unrivalled use of online social agitation and misinformation for many years. Actions that paid off when we saw a mob overrun the base of political power in the country of his biggest adversary. He then went on to spur the largest anti-science movement the world has ever seen at a time when it could least afford it. Make no mistake he is an evil genius that is intent on restoring Russian glory to its post WWII levels. No matter the cost. Whether he has bitten off more than he can chew should the long planned counter-insurgency in Ukraine take off. Or whether the West has the will to push back if he pushes on and strikes at the NATO aligned baltic countries remains to be seen. If they can remain united and he does push beyond Ukraine then it will be brutal but he will almost certainly be defeated and forced back behind his borders and his 6000+ nukes.

Two out of 3 of the worlds nuclear super powers are ruled by authoritarian ethno-nationalist dictators and we were not far off and there is some chance where we will see all 3 ruled by the same.

TL;DR: Happy days...
You’re normally a voice of reason Norm so it’s quite scary to hear you speak like that.

My personal take is that Putin is a man who has exhausted all the pleasures and luxuries afforded to him. The only thing left to concern him is his lagacy. I don’t know how far it goes but I think he’s doing his best to etch himself in history.

Once Crimea was gone all those years ago, it was only a matter of time. And this won't be the last.
Why aren't all those woke folk protesting in the streets about this.

The sanctions are weak against Russia. If NATO countries want to get serious they will sanction Russia’s gas and oil, but they won’t because it will shoot the prices up across Europe.
Sanctions on banks are laughable too as Russia uses cryptocurrency and side steps the banks.

China is also aligning itself with Russia. All very worrying.

Putin will go down in history as the man who screwed Russia with a vanity project. Russia's biggest long-term threat lies to the east.

This is exactly why Putin has chosen this moment to act. He perceives the West to be a soft decedent and politically fractured rabble

How right he is. The West is impotent. Whoopee doo naughty boy sanctions that will be a lettuce leaf slap to Russia, particularly now they're in bed with China. And we've still got European countries that don't want to be part of harsh sanctions (how funny they are the same ones that were the protagonists in WW2 - Germany & Italy).

Why do we (the west) not send troops in to defend Ukraine on the ground? I understand we can't attack Russia directly because of the nuclear threat - which is very real now. Putin's not Hitler who graciously shot himself in a bunker - Putin's last act would be to push the button. When I did year 12 in 1982 I remember having a real fear of nuclear war - I can't believe it has returned. I thought we were over that. With people in power (Putin & China) who have no regard for humanity let alone individuals anything could now happen. Is my paranoia going to far as to suggest corona was a deliberate act of germ warfare to weaken the west? Yes it was also inflicted on their own people, but do you think those in power in China care? They simply lifted the ban on their 1 or 2 child limits to maintain the population without it getting out of control. Taiwan is next. Tomorrow, ze vorld! You can laugh, but I wouldn't.

I could say so much about this, but the bottom line is the west if f'd. In fact the world is fkd. Our free propaganda machine (movies, tv, politicians) see us look to the USA as the great power who will save the west. We are led to believe their technology (especially all those uap's which could be their secret defence projects - yeah right) can deal with any threat to themselves or their allies. They couldn't even stop the 9/11 attacks after the first 2 planes had hit. I lost the faith after that. You could say Biden is weak, but Trump came out and called Putin a genious!

If power hungry Russia & China don't get ya, climate change will. And the new active threat has taken focus away from the latter. I hope I'll be gone before the major effects of all this will be felt, but I fear for your kids. I really do. They live in a world we've built for them which is materialistic and well, soft, quite frankly. To really fight for something you need to sacrifice some of your comfort, but our governments don't want to lose votes. Why do we buy things from China? Because they're cheap. Aussies won't cop having to save up for things these days like they did back in the day, but that's what is needed to really hurt these aholes. Can you see kids of today coping with not having 'stuff' on tap? Might not just be kids either - people weren't happy to suffer lockdowns, masks or vaccinations to save others during corona.

I'm ranting, but I'm married to someone from Ukrainian descent. I got married in a Ukrainian church. Thankfully they don't have anyone in Ukraine now, but my sister in law does. They are a proud & welcoming people with a great sense of humour and have taken to Aussie rules like they invented it. They thought they had seen the last of the USSR which they fought for so long. My other half went to the Melbourne protest and a day later found out mum had 6 - 12 months left (she's been fighting cancer for a few years now).

So yeah. I'm pissed. And while you're there, get the f out of Ireland poms!!

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky said goodbye to European leaders Thursday during a video chat — telling them that “this might be the last time you see me alive”, according to reports.
The 44-year-old leader made the chilling warning in a video call with EU leaders Thursday, sources told Axios and the Financial Times just before he publicly stated he was Russia’s “target number one”, the NY Post reports.

One of those on the call, Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson, also told the TT news agency that the EU leaders knew when they said goodbye that they might not see him again.

NATO leaders attend a video summit on the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Picture: Kenzo Tribouillard/AFP

NATO leaders attend a video summit on the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. Picture: Kenzo Tribouillard/AFP
Mr Zelensky, who appeared to address the other leaders from a bunker, vowed to remain in Kyiv even as it came under siege — and as he conceded that the Russians “want to destroy Ukraine politically by taking down the head of state”.

“The enemy has designated me as target number one, and my family as target number two,” he said of wife Olena Zelenska, their son, Kiril, and daughter, Aleksandra.

Despite his reported warning, Mr Zelensky made a defiant video hours later Friday, appearing with four key cabinet members in the darkened streets of Kyiv.

“We’re in here. We are in Kyiv. We defend Ukraine,” he said.

He had earlier also posted an indoor video shaming European leaders as well as the US for its lack of assistance.

Volodymyr Zelensky says 'we are all here' in Kyiv in a video posted on his Facebook account. Picture: Facebook

Volodymyr Zelensky says 'we are all here' in Kyiv in a video posted on his Facebook account. Picture: Facebook
“This morning, we are defending our country alone,” the President said of the “second morning of the all-out war”, according to a translation by CNN.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

The world's best sports brands in ONE place. Start your 1 month free CODE trial.

“Just like yesterday, the most powerful country in the world looked on from a distance,” he said in a clear nod to President Joe Biden’s administration.

Mr Zelensky directly likened the assault on his nation — which focused on the capital, Kyiv, on Friday — to “what Europe already witnessed during World War II”.

“Europe said, ‘Never again’, but here we are,” he said, warning that Russia’s invasion was “the beginning of the war against Europe”.

Accusing European nations of being in “no hurry” to help, he urged people to “demand from your governments more financial, more military assistance to Ukraine”.

A damaged residential building at Koshytsa Street in Kyiv. Picture: Daniel Leal/AFP

A damaged residential building at Koshytsa Street in Kyiv. Picture: Daniel Leal/AFP
“How are you going to help yourself, when you help us so slowly in Ukraine?” he asked.

He even encouraged any Europeans with “combat experience” to ignore the “indecision of politicians” and “come to our country and join us in defending Europe”.

He insisted that “Europe has enough strength to stop this aggression”, noting a slew of measures not yet used.

“Visa cancellations for Russians, cutting them from SWIFT, a total isolation of Russia, recalling ambassadors, embargo on petroleum, imposing a no-fly zone, this must be in the table,” he said.

More Coverage​

Russia claims key location in huge blowUkraine’s disturbing update on Chernobyl
Mr Zelensky did, however, praise Sweden for giving “military, technical and humanitarian assistance”, saying they were “building an anti-Putin coalition together!”

Aussies won't cop having to save up for things these days like they did back in the day

What a load of s**t. "Back in the day" you probably bought your first house for 20k. To buy a house these days you need to save up about 4x the median salary just for the deposit. Oh but they can buy cheap dildos from China! Bloody privileged generation!

Last edited:
What a load of sh*t. "Back in the day" you probably bought your first house for 20k. To buy a house these days you need to save up about 4x the median salary just for the deposit. Oh but they can buy cheap dildos from China! Bloody priv"ileged generation!

Well your statement's just proved my point. Oh, the pain. Do you realise that people used to move into houses without furniture and actually buy things when they could afford it? Not these days. Gotta have the whole place furnished first. Most people in Europe have never even thought of "the great Australian dream" - they've never expected to OWN a house.

"I wish I'd been born in a simpler time." When's that? You've got the easiest ride now mate and refuse to go without anything. You do realise in times of war there were rashions? Y'know, ya couldn't go to Chinamart to buy your cheap crap. You saved up and bought something decent that would last a loooong time and didn't automatically go into landfill in 12 months when it packed up.

This is why no one's going into Ukraine to defend it. You might have to actually give up something like your Chinese dildo.

Well your statement's just proved my point. Oh, the pain. Do you realise that people used to move into houses without furniture and actually buy things when they could afford it? Not these days. Gotta have the whole place furnished first. Most people in Europe have never even thought of "the great Australian dream" - they've never expected to OWN a house.

"I wish I'd been born in a simpler time." When's that? You've got the easiest ride now mate and refuse to go without anything. You do realise in times of war there were rashions? Y'know, ya couldn't go to Chinamart to buy your cheap crap. You saved up and bought something decent that would last a loooong time and didn't automatically go into landfill in 12 months when it packed up.

This is why no one's going into Ukraine to defend it. You might have to actually give up something like your Chinese dildo.
I can totally empathise with you. My sons fiancée is Estonian, her family are all in Tallin, they know if Ukraine falls they will be the next target.

"I wish I'd been born in a simpler time." When's that? You've got the easiest ride now mate and refuse to go without anything.
That is such nonsense. Baby boomers have had the best gig by a million miles. Affordable housing, abundant jobs. Hit adulthood when overseas holidays became affordable, but locations not yet ruined by tourism. I’d trade my iPhone for that life in a breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back