News The Russian invasion of Ukraine

Remove this Banner Ad

It's only 0.033 seconds from Washington to Baghdad if you're travelling at the speed of light. Slightly longer by Pterodactyl.
Is that nuclear Pterodactyl, or just your garden variety Michael Crichton version? :)
(Just worried I'd missed some weapon bearing the Pterodactyl moniker!)

Edit: and yes there is a Pterodactyl! You probably/possibly knew that, but new info for me, cheers.

Is that nuclear Pterodactyl, or just your garden variety Michael Crichton version? :)
(Just worried I'd missed some weapon bearing the Pterodactyl moniker!)

Edit: and yes there is a Pterodactyl! You probably/possibly knew that, but new info for me, cheers.

Nope, was trying to be absurd and totally referring to the dinosaur. There you go.

Last edited:
Your analogy is flawed. More accurately your neighbour had weapons and people provided and trained to use them by someone who doesn't like you against your fence..what then?

It's not my intention to muddy the waters here. All I'm saying is that all else being equal, proximity doesn't equal legitimacy. I think the point still stands.

You're saying Russia invading Ukraine is more legitimate than the US invading Iraq just because the countries are closer. I'm saying that's ludicrous.

Edit: Also, if that was the case, I wouldn't break into their house and kill their dog. I'd call the police.

Last edited:

It's not my intention to muddy the waters here. All I'm saying is that all else being equal, proximity doesn't equal legitimacy. I think the point still stands.

You're saying Russia invading Ukraine is more legitimate than the US invading Iraq just because the countries are closer. I'm saying that's ludicrous.

Edit: Also, if that was the case, I wouldn't break into their house and kill their dog. I'd call the police.

You analogy doesn't hold. We would not want Chinese military bases in Timor either. Proximity is absolutely a factor in legitimizing pre-emptive action. Sometimes as in the case of the might of he NATO military machine, the deciding factor: The closer the enemy is the more easily they can survey your land, the quicker they can mobilize movement across the border, the less time there is to defend and the greater the damage they can do.

Yep, so you're saying that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a legitimate, pre-emptive act of self-defence and nothing more. You've made what you really think very clear. Well done :thumbsu:

You analogy doesn't hold. We would not want Chinese military bases in Timor either. Proximity is absolutely a factor in legitimizing pre-emptive action. Sometimes as in the case of the might of he NATO military machine, the deciding factor: The closer the enemy is the more easily they can survey your land, the quicker they can mobilize movement across the border, the less time there is to defend and the greater the damage they can do.
Regardless of Nath's analogy, why do you keep alluding to Russia's invasion in terms of legitimate/legitimising? Maybe not your intent, but the theme appearing to run through your posts is some fashion of Putin apologia.

The Chinese lease a port in Darwin.

China well and truly and becoming the dominant influence in PNG and the Solomon’s. They are in the process of buying out Australia in Melanesia.

Your argument doesn’t hold up

Regardless of Nath's analogy, why do you keep alluding to Russia's invasion in terms of legitimate/legitimising? Maybe not your intent, but the theme appearing to run through your posts is some fashion of Putin apologia.

If you don understand why Russia is doing what it is, you can't begin to resolve the conflict. Secondly I don't trust the Western media to give a full and frank account of what is happening and why.

How do you think this ends? With Russia giving up and admitting defeat?

The Chinese lease a port in Darwin.

China well and truly and becoming the dominant influence in PNG and the Solomon’s. They are in the process of buying out Australia in Melanesia.

Your argument doesn’t hold up

It holds up perfectly with recent Australian policy eg banning Chinese IT/5G and recent military spending specifically to counter China's growing threat (with bipartisan support).

If you don understand why Russia is doing what it is, you can't begin to resolve the conflict. Secondly I don't trust the Western media to give a full and frank account of what is happening and why.

What? I understand what is happening in Ukraine, I've got links there through a grandparent. I'm questioning why YOU feel the need to repeatedly state the invasion is 'legitimate'. I've asked several times now, and you keep obfuscating saying that is Russia's view.

So who do you trust? Certainly not the Russian media??

If you get your news from internet forums and social media and think its legitimate and/or independent then you are extremely mistaken.

....I don't trust the Western media to give a full and frank account of what is happening and why.

If you reject the source of information of all those with whom you disagree, why would you expect anyone to accept your source in preference to theirs ? Your narrative, evil "West" and Russia's security, is hardly new, we've heard it all before, try googling "Difference frames the World". You aren't going to change anyone's mind here.

Running late for the game.

Last edited:
If you reject the source of information of all those with whom you disagree, why would you expect anyone to accept your source in preference to theirs ? Your narrative, evil "West" and Russia's security, is hardly new, we've heard it all before, try googling "Difference frames the World", there's plenty of support for you there in CCP propaganda videos. You aren't going to change anyone's mind here. I hate to join in a pile on but very, very occasionally, the majority is right.

Best wishes. Running late for the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you reject the source of information of all those with whom you disagree, why would you expect anyone to accept your source in preference to theirs ? Your narrative, evil "West" and Russia's security, is hardly new, we've heard it all before, try googling "Difference frames the World". You aren't going to change anyone's minds here.

Running late for the game.

I am speechless. DM is on my side.

An analyst providing consistent quality of assessment on the invasion, Mick Ryan has this today in regards to war crimes, and why the Russian military is more likely to commit them, an interesting read. (Of course, it doesn't absolve western militaries that have/may have committed similar crimes in recent military incursions, although on a lesser scale.):

Remove this Banner Ad

Back