Radio The Sounding Board with Craig Hutchison & Damian Barrett (Podcast)

Remove this Banner Ad

True. Let me put it another way - Super Bowl is a better recruitment and retainment tool for employees than having to schlep to interstate events that hold little interest, but for which the company has a duty to provide a better product.

I'd say Whately might even get a cut of the tour revenue.

Garry Lyon told a good war story this morning about Mark Nicolas, when they worked at Ch 9.

The station did the Commonwealth Games one year. Garry and Brayshaw did the 9am to 12pm slot every day, then threw to Nicolas, who started at 12pm. Garry said Nicolas likes to have a script/telepromter for EVERYTHING, so, for the each day's broadcast, he got Garry or James to introduce him with a prepared line, so he could reply with his scripted bit. For example, Garry would say something like, "Mark Nicolas is up after us. Hi, Mark. I understand there'll be a lot of action at the velodrome this afternoon", then Nicolas would reply with a written bit about the track cycling.

On the last day of the Games, Garry went off script, and threw to Nicolas a surprise line about a different sport. Nicolas fumbled and stumbled live on air, then totally cracked it and did a mini storm-out :grinv1:

Last edited:
Can someone explain the Hammerheads in a little more detail? I tried following along to it today but couldn’t quite grasp the exact concept and I was too young to remember it at the time.
Small wikipedia article on it. I remember it, but never watched it. The Club (Australian TV series) - Wikipedia

Also a couple of threads on BigFooty about it. So do a search.

Hutchy is much more likeable on this podcast than he is on any thing else.
It must be the “warming of Hutchy” as Barrett puts it.
Yes I agree. Damo annoys me more.

The new Damo segment where he got to moan about something disappeared after one episode. He moans about everything in every episode anyway! :D

Yes I agree. Damo annoys me more.

The new Damo segment where he got to moan about something disappeared after one episode. He moans about everything in every episode anyway! :D
I love how Hutchy hangs it on him for being so conservative, not politically, but how he lives his life.

Ah the Damo moaning segment is back! He was getting held up by roadwork so had a moan about the general roadwork situation, but specifically around Marvel station. He had no idea what the purpose of the roadworks was....seemed to think they were there just to annoy him. :D

As a journalist, I thought he might have done some research, but it seems not. Hint: Westgate tunnel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special episode interview with Nick McKenzie (Journalist who exposed Ben Roberts-Smith). Besides Damo's tongue in cheek(?) fawning, a great listen.

Also, continue listening after the outro. :)
Had a listen today, it was good, especially Hutchblob’s drive by about the Walkley awards.

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce is a timely and interesting topic if the focus is on what their relationship means for marketing, communications and global branding - the actual entertainment industry matters. No one however gives a stuff about where they're being papped, or what her Manhattan neighbourhood is like, or how embarrassed middle aged men should be about TayTay fandom.

Too often the right topics attract the wrong questions, which is where a stronger (smarter) co-host than Damien Barrett would make a difference.

I tolerated the Taylor Swift stuff....but I could not tolerate Hutchy saying Dutton looked "Prime Ministerial" during his Voice referendum misinformation campaign. :sick: (sorry, my political biases showing).

I do enjoy some of the stories they come up with, but they both annoy me at various times by some of their takes.....might be time for me to move on. :think:

For those interested....in Jane's last episode she mentioned that she did the ABC kids show "Couch Potato" for a couple of years. Not 100% sure, but I believe this is an episode with her as the host.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back