The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Pointless observation which fails to acknowledge the awful luck with injuries which both clubs have endured over thre last 4-5 years. That more than anything has wrecked their chances. Half their lists have been wiped out at various times. Many of their best players have missed half-seasons and full seasons:

GWS injured for months: Callan Ward, Jonathan Patton, Toby Greene, Mat de Boer, Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Tom Scully, Lachie Whitfield, Zac Williams, Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen, Devon Smith, Nick Haynes,

GC injured for months: Gary Ablett, Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Martin, Harley Bennell, Rory Thompson, Pearce Hanley, Sam Day, David Swalllow, Brandon Matera, Aaron Hall, Peter Wright, Charlie Dixon, Zac Smith, Trent McKenzie

How about all the talented players who have walked out of those clubs (or been let go) over the past few years?

GWS: Dylan Shiel, Devon Smith, James Stewart, Tom Boyd, Josh Bruce, Jack Steele, Adam Treloar, Taylor Adams, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Rory Lobb, Cam McCarthy, Nathan Wilson, Tom Scully, Sam Frost, Dom Tyson, Tomas Bugg, Jack Hombsch, Rhys Palmer, Jonathan Giles, Lachie Plowman,

GC: Gary Ablett, Tom Lynch, Charlie Dixon, Steven May, Adam Saad, Dion Prestia, Jaeger O'Meara, Harley Bennell, Brandon Matera, Aaron Hall, Jack Scrimshaw, Kade Kolodjashnij, Zac Smith, Jarrod Lyons
??

GWS have made two PF and played finals every year since 2016. They’ll also play finals again.

What’s your point?

??

GWS have made two PF and played finals every year since 2016. They’ll also play finals again.

What’s your point?
My point? Wasn't it self-evident?

The Giants could've finished top 2 and won the flag in any of the past 3 seasons if they'd had better luck with injuries
They've lost 5, 6, 7 of their best players for big chunks of the season. It's cost them.

The usual histrionics in response to a bad loss. Do yourselves a favour and take a look at how the Swans and the Bears went through the late 80’s/ early 90’s. On and off the field, absolute basket cases, much worse than GC today. With the benefit of hindsight, I’m sure all football fans are pretty happy those clubs weren’t wound up.

The usual histrionics in response to a bad loss. Do yourselves a favour and take a look at how the Swans and the Bears went through the late 80’s/ early 90’s. On and off the field, absolute basket cases, much worse than GC today. With the benefit of hindsight, I’m sure all football fans are pretty happy those clubs weren’t wound up.
Neither side played in a sporting graveyard like the Gold Coast.

Yet to see any sports team have success up there.

Let's be honest, if the Suns folded nobody up there would care and nobody would miss them. They probably wouldn't even notice they were gone. Their crowds are all ex-pat Victorians and ppl on a cheap flight and everyone is there to support the away team. An earlier poster made a great point about the Richmond merchandise stand being 40-deep while the Suns stand was ignored, that pretty much sums up the state of the Suns and their relevance in the AFL.

Watching the Adelaide game last night I thought it would suck to be drafted to the sun's when they first started guys like David swallow careers have been wasted.

Now they got the number one draft pick.

Gotta love how there are still dills like you saying this. It's like as long as they're playing promising football, having a drug culture is perfectly alright!
Essendon had their whole list in court for drug-taking and they still didn't sack their coach.

Look that's a joke but honestly the fallout has been huge in terms of player retention. They underestimated the affect losing Bluey would have on the development of their foundation players. The problem was poor management, and they solved it just as poor managers would.

Much better idea for North Melbourne to move there. North have been playing home games there for ages now, always having financial problems and North Melbourne has always been a dumpy area with very limited market.
How long ago was our last ’financial problem’ dumbass??? You sell games to Ballarat for gods sake and you can’t even get people to drive an hour down the road.....and Nth Melb ( dumpy) area versus Footscray???? Yeah right moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh sorry, should have explained, ‘Western’ isn’t a place. Your team comes from Footscray.... just helping you out with your homework little fella.

I completely agreed with the inclusion of a team for Greater Western Sydney, it made complete sense. They have done quite well and supporters would be pretty happy thus far.

GC on the other hand....

Lol, you just don't get it.

Karmichael Hunt was supplying drugs to all the younger players, McKenna knew about it, overlooked it, and you think they should've kept him as coach in hindsight? This is why people like yourself aren't running football clubs.
Where's your source where McKenna says "I knew about it and overlooked it"? What should he have done when he didn't know?

In hindsight should Worsfold also have been sacked in the mid 00's?

Lol, you just don't get it.

Karmichael Hunt was supplying drugs to all the younger players, McKenna knew about it, overlooked it, and you think they should've kept him as coach in hindsight? This is why people like yourself aren't running football clubs.
You can prove that can you? Or are you just talking s**t?

Every year you're among the lowest earners in Victoria, and already heavily congested AFL market. If the AFL took Tasmania games away from you, you absolutely would struggle again.

As for us, we just won a Premiership recently, and we don't sell our games to Tasmania. I know you're an idiot, but if you were capable of grasping basic context, I was replying to a North supporter dumb enough to suggest GC should relocate to Tasmania, while barracking for a perennially poor Victorian team that sells home games to that very state.
North Melbourne doesn’t have issues mate. They play in Tasmania because it’s a market whereby they’ve garnered interest and support, commercially beneficial for them. A bit like Hawthorn. Whilst I think that moving Gold Coast down there is ridiculous, I disagree that North are a basket case club, they’ve turned their season around with Shaw and they’ll most likely appoint him and play finals next year.

Rocket literally came in, saw the plague and cleared it out, and what, you're trying to say McKenna, the head coach at the time, just didn't see any of it? LOL.

In Worsfold's case, whether or not turning a blind eye to drug culture justifies a Premiership is up for debate, but they weren't a young team. It's not the same as having a rugby convert literally acting as a drug dealer for a bunch of under-23 year olds. Hilarious you can't grasp this.
I'm not trying to say anything. That's what McKenna says. Although I'm apparently hilariously stupid, I also believe I have a better grasp of recent history. McKenna wasn't sacked because of a drug scandal, he was let go because GC thought they had Bomber Thompson on the horizon. Rocket Eade didn't launch an investigation, the Gold Coast Suns did that after the statements by Hunt.

What you've said is a load of speculation about drugs, but the word at the time was about his 'fractured relationships' with players... not hard to see that player welfare and general management around the place was not up to scratch. Look at how woefully the press conference was handled after he was sacked. They leapt at Thompson and they didn't even get their man. If Mark Evans and Tony Cochrane had been there from the start, I think McKenna might still be coaching.

But sure, reiterate one more time that there was a drug culture at the club, as if that issue has never been resolved before without sacking everybody.

Neither side played in a sporting graveyard like the Gold Coast.

Yet to see any sports team have success up there.
I'm just going to repeat my post from two pages ago:
You know what else links those teams? None of them were winners. The Gold Coast hasn't ever had the opportunity to back consistent winners in those sports. The one sport where the Gold Coast does have winners is motor racing, and that does pretty well for attendance, Gold Coast 600 gets 200 000 people a year.

I'm not trying to say anything. That's what McKenna says. Although I'm apparently hilariously stupid, I also believe I have a better grasp of recent history. McKenna wasn't sacked because of a drug scandal, he was let go because GC thought they had Bomber Thompson on the horizon. Rocket Eade didn't launch an investigation, the Gold Coast Suns did that after the statements by Hunt.

What you've said is a load of speculation about drugs, but the word at the time was about his 'fractured relationships' with players... not hard to see that player welfare and general management around the place was not up to scratch. Look at how woefully the press conference was handled after he was sacked. They leapt at Thompson and they didn't even get their man. If Mark Evans and Tony Cochrane had been there from the start, I think McKenna might still be coaching.

But sure, reiterate one more time that there was a drug culture at the club, as if that issue has never been resolved before without sacking everybody.
Record for debutant BF poster suspended the quickest?

Victorians are hilarious. When a Victorian team like Melbourne or Carlton struggles, "Let's give them all the support they need". If an interstate team struggles, "Let's get rid of them". Hate to break it you but if the AFL want a truly national comp they need two teams in the third largest state. Brisbane came good after looking dire a couple of years ago.

Victorians are hilarious. When a Victorian team like Melbourne or Carlton struggles, "Let's give them all the support they need". If an interstate team struggles, "Let's get rid of them". Hate to break it you but if the AFL want a truly national comp they need two teams in the third largest state. Brisbane came good after looking dire a couple of years ago.
Carlton and Melbourne has strong supporter bases and a strong history. And not sure what the hell you’ve been reading but people have laughed at Melbourne and Carlton for years. There was outrage on this board last year when there were rumblings about Carlton wanting a priority pick.

Nobody cares about the Gold Coast. They play in the worse place in Australia for a sporting team.

Gold Coast are essentially a farm team for 17 other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back