Current Trial The Teachers Pet Podcast & Chris Dawson's Murder Trial * New Carnal Knowledge Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

'The way has been cleared for former Sydney teacher Chris Dawson to be tried for murder after a High Court hearing in Canberra this morning.

Mr Dawson is alleged to have murdered his wife Lynette in 1982.

Today, his lawyers lodged a special leave application in the High Court for a permanent stay on the charge.

But Justices Stephen Gageler and Michelle Gordon threw out the application and placed a non-publication order on the details of the hearing until the conclusion of the trial.

Mr Dawson's trial is due to commence in the NSW Supreme Court on May 9
.'

'Justice Robert Beech-Jones said after a brief hearing that the trial would proceed by way of a judge alone, and lifted an earlier non-publication order over the application.

The murder trial is due to start next Monday, May 9, before Justice Ian Harrison.'

'Prosecutors are seeking a media blackout of the impending trial of former schoolteacher Chris Dawson for the murder of his missing wife.'

'A hearing was told on Wednesday that the prosecution was seeking a blanket ban on publicity over the trial, which would be in place until some time after it was completed.
The application is being made for reasons that cannot be fully disclosed.'

'... crown prosecutor Craig Everson SC said it was “not just responsible media outlets” that the court had to consider.

“It is the massive uncontrolled social media commentary that feeds into things and then starts to compound the problem,” Mr Everson said.'

'Mr Sibtain said he would be “vigorously opposing” the order. He was also representing the ABC, SBS, Nine, Seven, Ten, the Daily Mail and Sky News.

The crown’s notice of motion states that the non-publication order over the trial is necessary “to prevent prejudice to the proper administration of justice”.

'Prosecutors are seeking a media blackout of the impending trial of former schoolteacher Chris Dawson for the murder of his missing wife.'

'A hearing was told on Wednesday that the prosecution was seeking a blanket ban on publicity over the trial, which would be in place until some time after it was completed.

'... crown prosecutor Craig Everson SC said it was “not just responsible media outlets” that the court had to consider.

“It is the massive uncontrolled social media commentary that feeds into things and then starts to compound the problem,” Mr Everson said.'

'Mr Sibtain said he would be “vigorously opposing” the order. He was also representing the ABC, SBS, Nine, Seven, Ten, the Daily Mail and Sky News.

The crown’s notice of motion states that the non-publication order over the trial is necessary “to prevent prejudice to the proper administration of justice”.

If it's a judge only trial, I don't understand the risk of prejudice.

If it's a judge only trial, I don't understand the risk of prejudice.

The lynch mob mentality that social media promote ?

Maybe it's to attempt to reduce the risk of the accused not being able to complete the trial process, due to him getting anxiety over what he thinks might be being said about him in the media during the trial.

That if there is a blanket ban on media and social media publicity discussion, the trial might have a much better chance of being completed without the accused having health issues during it.

Something like that I reckon.

Former Sydney school teacher Chris Dawson asked someone with criminal connections if they knew anyone who could "get rid of his wife", a court has heard.

Urgh ..

"He was infatuated with her. He repeatedly asked her to marry him," Mr Everson said.

• The court heard Chris Dawson wanted his wife dead so he could have a relationship with a school student
  • He asked a teammate about finding a hitman to kill his wife, the court heard
  • Mr Dawson has pleaded not guilty, with the trial expected to last for eight weeks

I look forward to Marilyn’s evidence though I’m certain it will be a lot of ‘ I don’t recall’. Deliberate blind loyalty to husband. I feel she really let Lynette, her daughters and family down. I hope she has been guilt ridden for years for any part she may have played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the time of his arrest in June 2019, police said the charge related to a girl who was 16-years-old in 1980.
The charge was mentioned briefly in the District Court on Friday before being held over until midday, April 3.
That’s the same date Mr Dawson has been ordered to appear in the Supreme Court for arraignment on the murder charge.
Whatever happened to this 2019 charge against Dawson?

Carnal knowledge charge for Chris Dawson

'11:01AM FEBRUARY 14, 2020'

'The 71-year-old is charged with “carnal knowledge teacher of girl between the ages of 10 and 17”.
At the time of his arrest in June 2019, police said the charge related to a girl who was 16-years-old in 1980.'

'Two of Australia’s most experienced crime reporters, David Murray and Matthew Condon, who will both be in the courtroom for the duration of the five-week hearing, will anchor The Teacher’s Trial. '

'
The Australian’s national chief correspondent Hedley Thomas, who spearheaded The Teacher’s Pet and led the masthead’s investigation into Mr Dawson’s alleged involvement in his wife’s disappearance, will provide background and context.

The Australian’s morning news podcast The Front will also feature daily news and analysis from the Dawson trial.'

'Episodes of The Teacher’s Trial will be made available at the end of each week of the trial.'

Does anyone know if the podcast is available to download anywhere? It's unavailable to stream for obvious reasons.

Wondered that myself. It was an excellent Podcast - in fact, the first one I ever listened to. The next one was Maria James. I thought that all podcasts would be of this quality, but sadly not.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Does anyone know if the podcast is available to download anywhere? It's unavailable to stream for obvious reasons.

I look forward to Marilyn’s evidence though I’m certain it will be a lot of ‘ I don’t recall’. Deliberate blind loyalty to husband. I feel she really let Lynette, her daughters and family down. I hope she has been guilt ridden for years for any part she may have played.

Have you made up your mind over guilt/innocence before the trial begins?

Yeh I know why its been taken down, I was hoping for a torrent link or something similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back