Unsolved Murder of teacher Lilie James at St Andrews school - Sydney CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

"AI" in this case is short for Absolutely Insensitive.

'Microsoft accused of damaging Guardian’s reputation with AI-generated poll

Publisher says poll speculating on cause of woman’s death that appeared next to Guardian article caused ‘significant reputational damage’
Wed 1 Nov 2023 08.17 AEDT'

'The Guardian has accused Microsoft of damaging its journalistic reputation by publishing an AI-generated poll speculating on the cause of a woman’s death next to an article by the news publisher.

Microsoft’s news aggregation service published the automated poll next to a Guardian story about the death of Lilie James, a 21-year-old water polo coach who was found dead with serious head injuries at a school in Sydney last week.

The poll, created by an AI program, asked: “What do you think is the reason behind the woman’s death?” Readers were then asked to choose from three options: murder, accident or suicide.

Readers reacted angrily to the poll, which has subsequently been taken down – although highly critical reader comments on the deleted survey were still online as of Tuesday morning.
A Microsoft spokesperson said: “We have deactivated Microsoft-generated polls for all news articles and we are investigating the cause of the inappropriate content. A poll should not have appeared alongside an article of this nature, and we are taking steps to help prevent this kind of error from reoccurring in the future.”
'

School killer Paul Thijssen made a trip to a hardware store and borrowed a car the morning of Lilie James’ murder which police believe was premeditated and not an impulsive crime.
The sickening lengths Thijssen went to in planning the St Andrew’s Cathedral School’s water polo coach can be revealed as police continued to investigate his movements and mindset in the lead up to the shocking crime which has rocked the city.
Police now believe Ms James’ murder was not impulsive, but that it was chilling and calculated by the man she had dated for just five weeks before calling it off days earlier.
Thijssen, 24, a former student at the elite private school who was then employed as a sports co-ordinator, was captured on CCTV last Wednesday morning purchasing a hammer at a hardware store in the city’s east, close to his Kensington home.

The Daily Telegraph understands the hammer is not the one that was used to kill Ms James. Police believe Thijssen armed himself with two hammers, one which may have come from a school store room.

The Dutch national did not own a car, but police have discovered he rented one that day and drove it to work at the school.

“The assumption would be that he knew he needed a car to get away quickly afterwards, and particularly to get to where he went,” a source close to the investigation said.
Confronting CCTV from inside the school shows Thijssen standing outside the bathroom door holding a hammer, preparing to barge in.

Ex St Andrews headmaster, (currently Shore School headmaster) possibly attempting to shore up his reputation, from having presided over the Year 12 Sports Captain Year 13 graduate employment of a high functioning Psychopathic Thijssen at St Andrews.

His 'no one can give a reason', 'completely unpredictable', and 'impossible to have been prevented' assertions, that appear to have been assumed from way too prematurely latching onto a single NSW Police officers randomness of the murder, opinion. (in the early stages of the investigation), is a big worry for someone in his elite position, mouthing off with investigations at such an early stage into Thijssen. Patience my man.

Especially with the subsequent revelation of the hammer purchase, and hire car used that day, appearing to point towards a pre-mediated murder by an often charming and manipulative Psychopath.

'Thijssen was named Sports Captain in Year 12, before securing the much sought after job of “Year 13” – a paid role given to a graduating student to work in the school’s sports department after completing their HSC.'

'Shore School headmaster's criticised for comments about Lilie James's suspected murderer in newsletter

By Greta Stonehouse and Danuta Kozaki
Posted 17m ago
John Collier, head of all boys Shore School in North Sydney, wrote a newsletter on Friday, titled
Looking in the Face of Savagery, about "the tragedy" that unfolded.

Dr Collier was previously headmaster of St Andrew's Cathedral School in Sydney's CBD
Dr Collier said the "extreme violence was inexplicable, incomprehensible, unimaginable" before describing Thijssen, who said he knew during his tenure as head of St Andrew's between 2010 and 2022, as a "fine student, a prefect, a role model".

"What is chilling about the tragedy which unfolded at St Andrew's, the shock and grief of which will cascade for a long time, is that the young man concerned was, in everybody's estimation, an absolute delight," he wrote.

"He appeared to be just like the best of us. An hour before he committed the atrocity, he was speaking in a relaxed, friendly mode with staff at that school.

"He was not a monster; rather, in the last five hours of his life, he committed a monstrous act which was in complete contradiction to what everyone who knew him observed in the rest of this short life.
"What led to his mental disintegration? Was it a psychotic episode which was deeply out of character?"

Dr Collier concluded his message saying "we earnestly desire to build, in conjunction with parents, young men of broad perspective and character who will be, in the deepest sense, beautiful men".
Ms Contos said Dr Collier's newsletter was "symbolic of a much larger problem".

"The idea that he [Thijssen] was a prefect, a role model, a fine student, this does not mean it's an anomaly that he could murder somebody," she said.

Ms Contos said there was a pervasive culture of entitlement in private school boys, that was being reinforced by the people around them.

"The whole point is that normal people do these crimes," she said.

"It's problematic to try and 'other' people who perpetrate violence because by doing that, we're allowing people who exhibit normal behaviours in other forms of life to go unnoticed without accountability."'

She said it was especially important for schools to instil good culture, and reflect.

"The people who are raising the next generation, are they really that resistant to learning?"
Shore School in a statement said they "took on board the criticism".

"It was never our intention to create any additional distress for those affected by this tragedy," it said.
"The opinions expressed in this weekly article are deeply personal and reflect the thoughts of a headmaster who knew the alleged perpetrator and who, like many others, is struggling to make sense of the seemingly senseless."
The weekly newsletter was an attempt "to consider what responses might be appropriate in a school that seeks to build good men", the statement said.

"And how our character development programs need to dig deeply into what respect for women fully means."

or

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 7.41.38 am.png

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 7.41.50 am.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s something that needs more discussion and attention imo.

People are rarely all bad or all good.

Being a true crime tragic, I know many people are shocked when someone they knew turns out to be a perpetrator.

Likewise, the public can relentless shame the wives or parents of these perpetrators because “they should have known”.

I’m very transparent but different parts of me come out in different settings. Doesn’t mean I have multiple personalities or that I’m sly.

I use every swear word under the sun but my in-laws would tell people I’ve never ever sworn and never ever would.

I was an unusually compliant child and teenager with strict parents and my parents would be 100% certain that I have never touched drugs.

Professional me is not the same me that I am when I’m on a night out with my girlfriends.

There are certain things I only do with my husband.

My kids would probably tell you I never drink alcohol or have fun and I’m a rule follower.

Personally, I think some men commit these crimes because they have a sense of entitlement. They believe they deserve certain things and become angry and blame others when they don’t get them.

Maybe it’s even worse today when there is so much on social media to compare yourself again.

So I guess, we are not looking for a monster but someone who has a strong sense of entitlement, a lack of self awareness, lack of responsibility for one’s actions, poor emotional regulation, anger problems.

"He raped someone but he was such a good guy..."

"He killed someone but he was such a good guy...."

****ing enough already. :rolleyesv1:

But that’s exactly it. He probably was a “good guy” in certain settings. Or at least appeared to be.

They are not being psychopathic rapists 24/7.

So how do we identify and stop them?

How will any progress be made with this ridiculous attitude?

He wasn’t normal

He wasn’t a nice person

He beat somebody to death with a hammer.

He was a ******* psychopath who needs to be studied by scientists so that they can be identified.

Thats not what the headmaster was saying.

Dont be a sheep and believed skewed 'journalistic' articles that arent accurate.

So I guess, we are not looking for a monster but someone who has a strong sense of entitlement, a lack of self awareness, lack of responsibility for one’s actions, poor emotional regulation, anger problems.
For all we know, he could have had a Juvenile record, or done things in NL as a child, and been on anti-psychotics that he stopped taking recently.

We just don't know, and probably never will.

How will any progress be made with this ridiculous attitude?

He wasn’t normal

He wasn’t a nice person

He beat somebody to death with a hammer.

He was a ******* psychopath who needs to be studied by scientists so that they can be identified.
Yes Bunk Moreland tsk tsk try and be more intelligent and less sheep like next time

:rolleyesv1:

It’s something that needs more discussion and attention imo.

People are rarely all bad or all good.

Being a true crime tragic, I know many people are shocked when someone they knew turns out to be a perpetrator.

Likewise, the public can relentless shame the wives or parents of these perpetrators because “they should have known”.

I’m very transparent but different parts of me come out in different settings. Doesn’t mean I have multiple personalities or that I’m sly.

I use every swear word under the sun but my in-laws would tell people I’ve never ever sworn and never ever would.

I was an unusually compliant child and teenager with strict parents and my parents would be 100% certain that I have never touched drugs.

Professional me is not the same me that I am when I’m on a night out with my girlfriends.

There are certain things I only do with my husband.

My kids would probably tell you I never drink alcohol or have fun and I’m a rule follower.

Personally, I think some men commit these crimes because they have a sense of entitlement. They believe they deserve certain things and become angry and blame others when they don’t get them.

Maybe it’s even worse today when there is so much on social media to compare yourself again.

I agree with much of what you’ve said.

Good people do bad things and bad people do good things.

Lying, cheating, rudeness, misbehaving, all of that stuff.

Beating somebody to death with a hammer?

Christ. Psychopath.

For all we know, he could have had a Juvenile record, or done things in NL as a child, and been on anti-psychotics that he stopped taking recently.

We just don't know, and probably never will.

He may well have. But equally he may have appeared as a “nice guy” in other situations.

If he didn’t appear normal and nice enough, he probably would never have got a first date with Lillie or held a job in a school.

Christ. Psychopath.

I dont think anyone is debating that. Of course his behaviour was psychopathic. But that wasnt what the headmaster was saying-the media are trying to draw an inference that wasnt there (to generate clicks and revenue) and people are sheep and swallow it because they dont critically analyse things. Its why the media standards can be as low as they are with no consequences.

Christ. Psychopath.

No doubt he is a POS. I’m not disputing that.

What I’m saying is that it’s possible he didn’t appear to be a murderer, a psychopath or a POS in other areas of his life or people would have picked up on it. He may even have appeared nice to some people he crossed paths with.

So my question is; how do we better identify these psychopaths, if they appear to be normal, even nice to others?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back