News The thylacine has returned!!!!! *Post 536*

Remove this Banner Ad

thylacine60, ODN referred to this thread in mod land today so I thought I'd come and take a look.

To say it's amazing, funny, scary and poignant all rolled into one would be an understatement. It also makes me think back.

In early 2008, one year before these fires, I stayed up in Marysville for a couple of nights. The place we stayed at was owned by a young-ish couple.

One year on, that little cabin was gone; reduced to ash by the fury of the flames. And, tragically, that young couple were among the dead. They never stood a chance in that firestorm.

I remember February 7, 2009 very well. At the time I was going through a slightly tough time personally, and to tell you the truth, on that morning I was of a mind to go for a drive to clear my head; it's something I did a bit back then. And, believe it or not, that whole Kinglake/Arthurs Creek/Whittlesea belt was the prime candidate for where I was going to go; it is a beautiful area, and somewhere I go hiking in once or twice a year even now that I don't live quite as close as I did then.

I'll never forget going out into the garage as I contemplated going on this drive; it was only then, when the sheer magnitude of that heat hit me full bore, that I realised I wanted to be nowhere but under the air conditioner that day. 47 degrees. The number speaks for itself. But to be brutally honest, I was so distracted with 'stuff' at the time that I hadn't even checked the weather forecast, nor really paid attention to any of the dire warnings in the lead up to that day. In essence, and somewhat perversely, I really only have the fierceness of the heat that day to thank in keeping me indoors; I'd been utterly derelict in keeping up with it all.

In the days following Black Saturday, I volunteered at a fire relief centre in Arthurs Creek. At one point, while driving along with a friend who volunteered with me, somewhere in the vicinity of Strathewen, we passed a paddock with what appeared to be a herd of cows that had, well, been burnt out along with the house on the property on which they'd lived. It was pretty distressing.

Basically, thy, I can't even imagine what being in the centre of that firestorm must have been like and had it not been for the sheer heat, maybe I would have experienced it; maybe I wouldn't be here today, even. But, the devastation when going through those areas a few days later was plain to see and so, well...we've got a lot to be thankful for that you're still here making us all laugh as you do.

Your return post is one of the better one-liners you'll see too, not that I'd expect anything less from you!

That day taught me a valuable lesson. I used to say I would stay and protect my property believing I would be able to do so without sacrificing myself but come to realise after seeing similar type properties destroyed that I wouldn't stand a chance. Better to evacuate when warned to do so and survive rather than die in vain. I am glad we still get to enjoy reading Thylacines posts too :)

So wonderful to re-live this moment of deepest joy, shared by so many.

We are (mostly) unknown to each other, but connected nonetheless.

It sometimes takes a stark moment to remind us that even a solitary shared passion (and an extinct but endering beast) can unite many strangers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back