Society/Culture The Trouble with Woke Comedy

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Thread starter #1

He references an incident in that video where a comedian was performing at Columbia University and was kicked off stage in the middle of their routine for making an "offensive" joke. It sounded pretty ridiculous, so I looked that up:

It really is ridiculous. The organizers ask him to get off and then they say something about how they were happy to have the first Indian writer for Saturday Night Live as their headliner, but they just couldn't condone the messages he was sending. Maybe they just wanted him to stand there and be brown for 10 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Thread starter #7
This is the Louis routine that's had people flipping out:

It's pretty funny.

herculez09

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I find most stand up comedy pretty boring.

Seems like every comedian is too reliant on shock and awe. My life is too laughable for any comedian to entertain me.

sorted

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong

He references an incident in that video where a comedian was performing at Columbia University and was kicked off stage in the middle of their routine for making an "offensive" joke. It sounded pretty ridiculous, so I looked that up:

It really is ridiculous. The organizers ask him to get off and then they say something about how they were happy to have the first Indian writer for Saturday Night Live as their headliner, but they just couldn't condone the messages he was sending. Maybe they just wanted him to stand there and be brown for 10 minutes.
It's seriously weird, I can;t relate to the people in this audience at all. Are they actually human?

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Thread starter #10
It's seriously weird, I can;t relate to the people in this audience at all. Are they actually human?
The guy filming and a few others around him were surprised by what was happening and really uncomfortable, so it wasn't the entire audience. But yeah, I can't imagine going to see a comedian and applauding as Maude Flanders junior interrupts and ends the show.

sorted

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
The guy filming and a few others around him were surprised by what was happening and really uncomfortable, so it wasn't the entire audience. But yeah, I can't imagine going to see a comedian and applauding as Maude Flanders junior interrupts and ends the show.
I tend to feel like there will be usually a reaction against this nonsense. Or sometimes an over-reaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #15
I find most stand up comedy pretty boring.

Seems like every comedian is too reliant on shock and awe. My life is too laughable for any comedian to entertain me.
Subtlety is a dying art. Gary Gulman keeps the flame alive at least - here he is no swearing, non political:

Soft Downhill Skier

2008-2010 wasn't me.
AFL Club
GWS
The reaction to a declining comedian who isn't very funny is overblown.

The reaction to criticism of him is way overblown. If criticism of him is considered censorious, so should criticism of those criticising him.

ShanDog

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Moderator #20
The reaction to a declining comedian who isn't very funny is overblown.

The reaction to criticism of him is way overblown. If criticism of him is considered censorious, so should criticism of those criticising him.
Overblown or not, it doesn't change whether it's bullshit or not.

Top Bottom