Analysis THE "WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SPP" TEARS THREAD

SPP or DV, there can be only one Dustin Martin

• SPP - Has more campaigner than he knows what to do with

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • DV - Plays like Luke Shuey mixed with Michael Gardiner.

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Jack Watts is the one true king.

Votes: 68 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it me or do we seem to have a bit of a habit in passing on AFL ready guys for ones that take 2-3 years to develop ?
Darling was the last draftee that was ready and impacted immediately.

Gaff too, although occasionally as the sub and not to the extent of Darling. Gaff's breakout season was his 2nd obviously.

Other than that.. Sheppard took ages, Sheed is still stepping out of the WAFL 4 years on, Partington no.

Duggan perhaps? He played, and we all rated him but was overlooked for a rising star nom so his impact was only as good as the WCE fans saw it, and now he to is playing WAFL in his 3rd season.

I have a strong suspicion he'll turn out like Rhys Palmer. A couple of blinder years, then the flaws in his game start to get found out and feasted on.

Palmer was a soft accumulator of the ball. SPP is a contested beast with burst speed and a streak of cant. I don't think that can really get found out

First it was Mitch McGovern, and now this.

He was already in our system, his only flaw (kicking) would improve immensely once he was at an AFL club (as it already has), and he could have an impact from round 1.

Maybe I'm being unfair to DV, but ignoring the obvious choice in the draft is getting a bit ridiculous.

Never had any technical problems with his kicking. Was just a pace above everyone else and tried to do too much by himself. Only player i'd obviously have had ahead of him at draft day was Tim Toranto.

But i can't speak for DV yet.

How many guys come in and impact straight away though?

The reason SPP's getting so much attention is that he's the exception rather than the rule.
Oliver, Mills, Heeney, Hogan, Weitering..

Cripps played 3 games before injuries and Petracca didn't play a game in his first year, so you could include them if you wanted.

They all look like high draft or academy picks, things we don't get obviously.

Although SPP is none of those, which is why this could turn nasty.

Oliver, Mills, Heeney, Hogan, Weitering..

Cripps played 3 games before injuries and Petracca didn't play a game in his first year, so you could include them if you wanted.

They all look like high draft or academy picks, things we don't get obviously.

Although SPP is none of those, which is why this could turn nasty.

So we always go for projects rather than readymade players like SPP and ... some guys we couldn't get?

Hogan spent two years on Melbourne's list without playing a game too FWIW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we always go for projects rather than readymade players like SPP and ... some guys we couldn't get?

Hogan spent two years on Melbourne's list without playing a game too FWIW.
wasnt allowed to play the first season due to age and was injured for all of his first available season

On a serious note, not taking SPP may look like a f*ck up now since he has come crashing out of the gates and made an impact from day 1, but on rewatching venables highlights on youtube and reading what some of the draft profiles say about him, I really do think he will turn out to be quality, he plays similarly to SPP with the fend offs, being able to withstand tackles and win the ball in a contested situation, but his skills were also seen as better than SPP's. They're also just about the same height, and althought SPP is a bigger build currently, venables isn't exactly a twig, and his core strength is already clearly a lot better than most 18 year olds, as he grows into his frame more he should become an absolute beast.

Really keen to see him increase his fitness base and get more midfield time in the WAFL and hopefully manage to squeeze into our best 22 by the end of the year. Does anyone know when exactly he began proper pre season training after his foot came good?

We should definitely wait a couple of years for Venables to actually be a bust and then melt down properly. I'm starting to feel like people are melting down now just in case Venables turns out well just so they don't miss out on quality melt time.

Schoey, Butts and Shue were absolutely singing Venners' praises on their podcast last week. Reckon he's a dead ringer for Shuey, to the point that they were wondering if Shuey's dad might havedone a bit of wandering on his postman route 19 years ago.

If we've got another Shuey then I'll be pretty happy with the pick.

Good player is young Venables - very good skills -wait and see

2 things

If SPP was on our list he would have played in 2 EP losses so far this season and we would have been wishing we went for someone else:

also

Reminds me of the fuss about Dalziel when he had 40 possessions on debut.

A good start doesn't automatically mean he is the best pick from the draft

On a serious note, not taking SPP may look like a f*ck up now since he has come crashing out of the gates and made an impact from day 1, but on rewatching venables highlights on youtube and reading what some of the draft profiles say about him, I really do think he will turn out to be quality, he plays similarly to SPP with the fend offs, being able to withstand tackles and win the ball in a contested situation, but his skills were also seen as better than SPP's. They're also just about the same height, and althought SPP is a bigger build currently, venables isn't exactly a twig, and his core strength is already clearly a lot better than most 18 year olds, as he grows into his frame more he should become an absolute beast.

Really keen to see him increase his fitness base and get more midfield time in the WAFL and hopefully manage to squeeze into our best 22 by the end of the year. Does anyone know when exactly he began proper pre season training after his foot came good?
It wasn't until some time during February before he started doing a normal training load

They've been very conservative with him and you can see he's still building his tank in the games he's played so far

Back